Voting machine manufacturer’s lawsuits thread

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Jan 25, 2011
The first item in the filing says it all.

EtZuCrgWYAELAwu

Reactions: Pohemi

sportage

Lifer
Feb 1, 2008
Probably settle out of court. Fox will cave and cut their losses so that they can continue to spew false claims over "other" issues in the future. If they can settle then they can say, SEE, WE NEVER LIED. So how much is the Fox News organization worth? Dominion needs to sue for that figure. Wouldn't it be wonderful if the lies that Fox spreads around came back to not only haunt them, but would put them out of business. I can just see Hannity at his new job selling used cars, I SWEAR, IT'S A 1973 AMC CONCORD WITH ONLY 4000 MILES. TRUST ME.

• Haha

UNCjigga

Lifer
Dec 12, 2000
David Hogg is launching a competitor to MyPillow. 2021 is getting weird...and I like it!

hal2kilo

Lifer
Feb 24, 2009
Probably settle out of court. Fox will cave and cut their losses so that they can continue to spew false claims over "other" issues in the future. If they can settle then they can say, SEE, WE NEVER LIED. So how much is the Fox News organization worth? Dominion needs to sue for that figure. Wouldn't it be wonderful if the lies that Fox spreads around came back to not only haunt them, but would put them out of business. I can just see Hannity at his new job selling used cars, I SWEAR, IT'S A 1973 AMC CONCORD WITH ONLY 4000 MILES. TRUST ME.
I would give them the option of avoiding having to make a cash payout by them admitting publicly by having an on the air special report that they were complicit with spreading the lie about the election results in an effort to overturn the election. Of course they would never accept those terms.

Fenixgoon

Lifer
Jun 30, 2003

woolfe9998

Lifer
Apr 8, 2013
In that case I hope they go through with trial rather than taking a settlement. Bury them.

Yes a trial is in order here. I have read most of the complaint now and it's stunning. The sheer number of verifiably false statements made by these defendants is mind boggling. This is the strongest defamation lawsuit I have ever seen. And it all needs to come out. These assholes repeatedly claimed they had evidence to back up their accusations but never produced any of it. Well let's give them another chance to do it in court. We all know what is going to happen.

Jhhnn

IN MEMORIAM
Nov 11, 1999
In that case I hope they go through with trial rather than taking a settlement. Bury them.

they'll rightfully settle for full retractions & oodles of cash, if not for the full amounts sought. OTOH,Fox may take it all the way using Tucker Carlson as precedent.

It's the "we can say anything we want because nobody takes us seriously" defense.

NWRMidnight

Platinum Member
Jun 18, 2001
These lawsuits could turn into something even worse for them, as it may lead to civil suits from individuals who where injured in the insurrection, or from families of those killed. Because these lies help fuel Trump's ability to insight the attack on the Capital. Maybe it will take Fox off the air for ever.

woolfe9998

Lifer
Apr 8, 2013
they'll rightfully settle for full retractions & oodles of cash, if not for the full amounts sought. OTOH,Fox may take it all the way using Tucker Carlson as precedent.

It's the "we can say anything we want because nobody takes us seriously" defense.

Not sure about Smartmatic, but Dominion has said it wants these suits to go to trial to clear the company's name.

The Carlson defense cannot possibly work here. These are not the same kinds of statements in dispute in the Carlson suit, where he said that Stacey McDougal was doing a shakedown for money. That could be viewed as opinion, or hyperbole because what he was really doing was speculating about her motives. These statements are specific, discrete factual statements, and the defendants repeatedly claim that they had evidence to back them up, evidence they never produced. And there are many, many statements. Hundreds. Not just a few sentences.

Fox is going down hard.

woolfe9998

Lifer
Apr 8, 2013
These lawsuits could turn into something even worse for them, as it may lead to civil suits from individuals who where injured in the insurrection, or from families of those killed. Because these lies help fuel Trump's ability to insight the attack on the Capital. Maybe it will take Fox off the air for ever.

That is unlikely, but is possible. Smartmatic's damages claim of $2.7 billion is only for compensatory damages. It does not include punitive damages. Juries can award whatever they think is appropriate for punitive damages, and they are given evidence of the company's net worth and income before they decide. The jury could bankrupt Fox if it wants to.

NWRMidnight

Platinum Member
Jun 18, 2001
That is unlikely, but is possible. Smartmatic's damages claim of $2.7 billion is only for compensatory damages. It does not include punitive damages. Juries can award whatever they think is appropriate for punitive damages, and they are given evidence of the company's net worth and income before they decide. The jury could bankrupt Fox if it wants to.
You don't understand. I am not talking about this lawsuit bankrupting them, I am talking about all the civil suits that may come after from the people and families.. possibly hundreds of cases against them. That could bankrupt them, specially if they lose this case. I can open the door to those lawsuits. Specially those that where killed/seriously injured in the attack on the capital, because these lies contributed.

woolfe9998

Lifer
Apr 8, 2013
You don't understand. I am not talking about this lawsuit bankrupting them, I am talking about all the civil suits that may come after from the people and families.. possibly hundreds of cases against them. That could bankrupt them, specially if they lose this case. I can open the door to those lawsuits. Specially those that where killed/seriously injured in the attack on the capital, because these lies contributed.

Yes and I'm telling you these defamation cases might even do it on their own. Better if there are many more though, as you suggest may happen. The kinds of lawsuits you're talking about are much tougher to win though.

NWRMidnight

Platinum Member
Jun 18, 2001
Yes and I'm telling you these defamation cases might even do it on their own. Better if there are many more though, as you suggest may happen. The kinds of lawsuits you're talking about are much tougher to win though.
1 or 2 defamation lawsuits won't do them in. Specially since they won't come close to the judgements being asked. It will take 50+ other civil suits to do it. Those civil suits will be much easier to prove than most suits of this kind after Fox loses such defamation suits as that will have proved the lies told by them. Combine that with all the evidence of the riots, Trump's involvement and lies, which also include the same lies, and them spreading those lies and conspiracies. It's not like Jan 6th never happened, and it can't be proven that fox spread such lies for months, as there are hours of such video. The smart ones will file the civil suits after all the criminal and defamation suits are done, as those suits will have their evidence laid out for them. Specially if Trump gets charged criminally for what happened at the capital and loses, as Fox, Newsmax, and OAN where the main spreaders of such lies outside of Trump's own Twitter account. We will just have to wait and see how this all plays out.

woolfe9998

Lifer
Apr 8, 2013
1 or 2 defamation lawsuits won't do them in. Specially since they won't come close to the judgements being asked. It will take 50+ other civil suits to do it. Those civil suits will be much easier to prove than most suits of this kind after Fox loses such defamation suits as that will have proved the lies told by them. Combine that with all the evidence of the riots, Trump's involvement and lies, which also include the same lies, and them spreading those lies and conspiracies. It's not like Jan 6th never happened, and it can't be proven that fox spread such lies for months, as there are hours of such video. The smart ones will file the civil suits after all the criminal and defamation suits are done, as those suits will have their evidence laid out for them. Specially if Trump gets charged criminally for what happened at the capital and loses, as Fox, Newsmax, and OAN where the main spreaders of such lies outside of Trump's own Twitter account. We will just have to wait and see how this all plays out.

Yes that is probably correct. But as I said, the damage claim in their complaint is compensatory. A jury can award any amount for punitive damages. They could award $20 billion if they want to. It isn't likely, but it is possible. The conduct described in this complaint is as outrageous as I've ever seen in any defamation suit.

Unfortunately Trump is very unlikely to be criminally charged in relation to the riot. Inciting people with lies is not a criminal offense. The criminal offense is when you clearly direct people to commit violent acts and I don't think it's clear enough from what he said at the rally.

Civil lawsuits against Fox News by people injured in the riot, or their families, may fail for lack of what they call legal "duty" and on First Amendment grounds. Likely one or more will be attempted so we'll find out eventually. I very much hope they can succeed, but I have my doubts.

Last edited:

TeeJay1952

Golden Member
May 28, 2004
Chicken sandwiches, voting, pillows, face masks. What will be next to be politicized?

VRAMdemon

Diamond Member
Aug 16, 2012
Lol ... Where was Fox’ legal department while all this was happening? Do they never have someone with a law degree review their stories to pull them back and say "Wow! that's complete bullshit!, your setting us up to be sued!" - when they go a too far out in la la land?

I know the answer to that ... It’s easy to gloss over that stuff when the money is pouring in, and pour in it did. Spouting bullshit was profitable, and now things got out of hand. When you spend all your time counting money, it’s easy to let things spin out of your control.

Now they’ve been flanked on the right by Newsmax and OAN, and they’re standing there with their dicks in their hands. Fox News is in legitimate trouble; their ratings are down and their legal exposure is enormous. They have little choice here but to cut a deal or else that organization (which is a separate corporation, albeit owned by, Fox Corporation) could suffer a catastrophic loss.

From what I understand about defamation lawsuits, but correct me if I'm wrong - The plaintiffs have to prove that statements made by the defendants led to harmful results, such as loss of business and threat to life, among other things. It’s the reason why Alex Jones lost all those defamation suits to the Sandy Hook survivors, even though he had the “Only for entertainment purposes” clause in his byline.

VRAMdemon

Diamond Member
Aug 16, 2012
Lol! ... Rudy "no ethics no problem" Giuliani goes on WABC (radio) to do his radio show and, unbeknownst to Rudes, they put a disclaimer in the introduction:

Three massive defamation suits in progress and Rudy still wonders why people are distancing themselves from his remarks? That is a spectacular level of willful cluelessness.

“These impositions on my free speech are out of control,” he says, as he prepares to launch into a lengthy broadcast of his totally uncensored speech. :rolleyes:

ch33zw1z

Lifer
Nov 4, 2004
Chicken sandwiches, voting, pillows, face masks. What will be next to be politicized?

You left out football, clothing, auto's, self defense, education, holidays, coffee makers, food producers, books, pretty anything the right doesn't like, oh and then project their problems onto others.

woolfe9998

Lifer
Apr 8, 2013
Lol ... Where was Fox’ legal department while all this was happening? Do they never have someone with a law degree review their stories to pull them back and say "Wow! that's complete bullshit!, your setting us up to be sued!" - when they go a too far out in la la land?

I know the answer to that ... It’s easy to gloss over that stuff when the money is pouring in, and pour in it did. Spouting bullshit was profitable, and now things got out of hand. When you spend all your time counting money, it’s easy to let things spin out of your control.

Now they’ve been flanked on the right by Newsmax and OAN, and they’re standing there with their dicks in their hands. Fox News is in legitimate trouble; their ratings are down and their legal exposure is enormous. They have little choice here but to cut a deal or else that organization (which is a separate corporation, albeit owned by, Fox Corporation) could suffer a catastrophic loss.

From what I understand about defamation lawsuits, but correct me if I'm wrong - The plaintiffs have to prove that statements made by the defendants led to harmful results, such as loss of business and threat to life, among other things. It’s the reason why Alex Jones lost all those defamation suits to the Sandy Hook survivors, even though he had the “Only for entertainment purposes” clause in his byline.

Where was Fox's legal department? The answer is that they've been getting away with this shit for a very, very long time. Just consider the singular case of George Soros who has probably been defamed on Fox News 500+ times and has never sued. That's why these lawsuits are important. They need to understand that lying in a manner that is injurious to people and companies has consequences. First Amendment protections are broad, but not boundless.

Smartmatic says its employees have received multiple death threats. Also cyber attacks. And other forms of harassment. But most importantly, both companies are saying this disinformation campaign is an existential threat to their business. They don't think they will ever be hired again without first clearing their names in court. Their main compensatory damages claim will be loss of future income.

Alex Jones hasn't lost the Sandy Hook lawsuits. They are pending and have not gone to trial yet. He lost some pre-trial motions and got slapped with a large monetary sanction by the court. If Jones had just stuck to claiming the Sandy Hook shooting was a hoax, he would have been fine. But no, he just had to say that the parents were phony "crisis actors" which is what turned this into multiple defamation suits.

outriding

Diamond Member
Feb 20, 2002
Lol! ... Rudy "no ethics no problem" Giuliani goes on WABC (radio) to do his radio show and, unbeknownst to Rudes, they put a disclaimer in the introduction:

Three massive defamation suits in progress and Rudy still wonders why people are distancing themselves from his remarks? That is a spectacular level of willful cluelessness.

“These impositions on my free speech are out of control,” he says, as he prepares to launch into a lengthy broadcast of his totally uncensored speech. :rolleyes:

If the radio station would have added the phrase "no basis in reality" it would have been perfect