Voting machine manufacturer’s lawsuits thread

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Meghan54

Lifer
Oct 18, 2009
I think just about all the voting machines have been shown to be hackable (I know some time back they had a hacking competition even and I think every single one got cracked).

That's not to say it absolutely happened, let alone on the scale it'd have to have happened for the nonsensical claims about the 2020 election by white supremacists, but anyone acting like there's no security issues at all with US elections is being delusional as well.

Honestly it feels like this is a lot of work when a simpler, easier, setup would also enable a system for verification that would be more agreeable to average people. Make it easy to vote, and then just give clear "thank you for voting, this is how your vote was tallied, please check and confirm". Maybe give a small incentive to participate (but something that wouldn't make people willing to forfeit it either so people aren't going to just sell their vote or something). Maybe like a national lottery where you vote, get a ticket, and then they pick numbers and you win various prizes (nothing too crazy - so no hundreds of million dollar single payout; and also things that wouldn't benefit just a single person, so maybe higher prizes would be that you'd win your student loan debt paid off, or get extra tax credits, things that would be completely tied to you and that basically other people couldn't really benefit from even if you were willing to sell your vote but that would be worth enough that people aren't going to vote a certain way in exchange for a fairly small sum).

Interesting read, but I have a couple of questions.

First, that Dominion machine they tested sure isn't like anything I voted on. That pictured machine in that report looks like the torture machine from Star Wars. Mine was a two piece affair....nothing as large as that monstrosity.

Second, where does the fraud happen? After the printout is generated from the polling booth machine, before it's counted? But that suggests the person voting never looks at what's in their hand and never reads what's printed...a far fetched idea.

After the vote's tabulated/counted (when it's introduced into the tabulation machine, which looks a lot like a printer....)? But then the printed paper ballots wouldn't match what the machine says when a hand count is done, and GA did at least TWO hand counts, one a complete audit of the presidential voting.

So how does it happen? I read a lot of screwdrivers, CF cards, undetectable/unknowable alterations of votes in that report....just want to know when/where in the chain it happens?

VRAMdemon

Diamond Member
Aug 16, 2012
Expect Dominion to file suits against multiple other entities, including Fox News and OANN, and perhaps Maria Bartiromo and Lou Dobbs. Hopefully they will sue Trump and his campaign also. And I don’t think Dominion is going to settle any of this quietly. Even if they settled for actual damages and dropped the punitive damages, that’s over 600 million dollars, which is way more money than Giuliani can grift from his supporters. Dominion is looking to clear their name, loudly and publicly.

The Giuliani complaint has lots and lots of incidental references to Fox giving a platform to the Big Lie. Hopefully they’ll be sued shortly, and 100% they’re pissing themselves because they have no defense and will be obliged to eat shit.

Does a $1.2 billion lawsuit have balance sheet implications?

Reactions: Pohemi

tweaker2

Lifer
Aug 5, 2000
Problem is that once the lies/rumours get out in the open they spread quickly. The retraction barely makes the news.

Agreed. It's what the Repub spinmeisters expect and who can blame them 'cuz it works well with their lazy base. Telling them what they want to hear has two meanings such that their Repub leadership tells their base what they should hear and as a result their base will want to hear it. A vicious circle of lies that takes on a life of its own, devoid of logic, common sense and fact based evidence to back it all up.

BUTCH1

Lifer
Jul 15, 2000

First, that Dominion machine they tested sure isn't like anything I voted on. That pictured machine in that report looks like the torture machine from Star Wars. Mine was a two piece affair....nothing as large as that monstrosity.

Second, where does the fraud happen? After the printout is generated from the polling booth machine, before it's counted? But that suggests the person voting never looks at what's in their hand and never reads what's printed...a far fetched idea.

After the vote's tabulated/counted (when it's introduced into the tabulation machine, which looks a lot like a printer....)? But then the printed paper ballots wouldn't match what the machine says when a hand count is done, and GA did at least TWO hand counts, one a complete audit of the presidential voting.

So how does it happen? I read a lot of screwdrivers, CF cards, undetectable/unknowable alterations of votes in that report....just want to know when/where in the chain it happens?
It can't, the paper ballots generated at the time of voting either match the machine tabulated totals or they don't, they all did for every recount.

Mar 11, 2004

Not sure you'd have to delve into the details. I think that was an older article (and there's multiple Dominion machines since they apparently bought a company that makes one of them but then sold that to E&S or whomever) so it might be out of date, but this has been a recurring thing (think they do one almost every year, one year they had kids showing they could hack election result websites), and its clear that security is a legit concern with voting machines.

I'm not sure I'd call that a far fetched idea (people not closely reading a printout), and I'm sure there's other ways that can be manipulated.

Arguably, just causing it to malfunction or the results to not line up might be the most effective thing to do. If they have to try and recount or throw out votes, it could be quite damaging. And they could target those machines in certain areas, and then they can cite that as reason for whatever they want to claim (antifa hacked it, can't trust any of the machines, or if it helps them then they can shrug it and say shit happens sorry). There's a bunch of other stupidity/silliness involved in the election system that just mucking things up alone could have potential consequences.

Last edited:

BoomerD

No Lifer
Feb 26, 2006
The (R)'s are used to voting machines working FOR them...not against them...

1611615202997.jpeg

Jhhnn

IN MEMORIAM
Nov 11, 1999
"It is another act of intimidation by the hate-filled left-wing to wipe out and censor the exercise of free speech, as well as the ability of lawyers to defend their clients vigorously."

Poor Rudy. So persecuted. Tears in my eyes as big as horse turds.

• Haha
Reactions: Pohemi and BUTCH1

Vic

Elite Member
Jun 12, 2001
"It is another act of intimidation by the hate-filled left-wing to wipe out and censor the exercise of free speech, as well as the ability of lawyers to defend their clients vigorously."

Poor Rudy. So persecuted. Tears in my eyes as big as horse turds.
As an attorney, Rudy should be well-aware of the fact that intentional and malicious defamatory speech has never been protected free speech.
It is disturbing how the GOP has devolved into a contest of who can tell the biggest lies.

Jhhnn

IN MEMORIAM
Nov 11, 1999

Ummm, yes?

Bullshit, bluff & bluster. I'm sure Rudy figures he can drag it out for 10 years & that he'll probably be dead before he ever has to pay the plaintiffs.

The whole thing over Dominion Systems & "Stop the Steal!" has been an exercise in the Big Lie, absolutely preposterous. It's the same with the attack on mail in voting.

Reactions: Pohemi and Meghan54

MrSquished

Lifer
Jan 14, 2013
Smartmatic Voting systems is getting into the fray, 2.7 billion dollar lawsuit against Fox filed today

"Rupert Murdoch’s Fox Corporation and three of its popular anchors are the targets of a $2.7 billion defamation lawsuit filed on Thursday by a company that became a prominent subject of discredited theories about widespread fraud in the 2020 presidential election.
Smartmatic, an election technology company, filed the suit in New York State Supreme Court on Thursday against the Fox Corporation, Fox News and the anchors Lou Dobbs, Maria Bartiromo and Jeanine Pirro. As part of the same action, the company is suing Rudolph W. Giuliani and Sidney Powell, who made the case for election fraud as guests on Fox programs while representing President Donald J. Trump.
In its 276-page complaint, Smartmatic argues that Mr. Giuliani and Ms. Powell “created a story about Smartmatic” and that “Fox joined the conspiracy to defame and disparage Smartmatic and its election technology and software.”
“The story turned neighbor against neighbor,” the complaint continues. “The story led a mob to attack the U.S. Capitol.”"

Vic

Elite Member
Jun 12, 2001
The same people who believe that "doxing" should be illegal, because exposing the truth about them might cost them their jobs, are outraged that they can't away with telling blatant defamatory lies that could bankrupt businesses and cost thousands their jobs.

Paratus

Lifer
Jun 4, 2004
God Damn that intro to the lawsuit - savage

UYJamR7.jpg