Voter ID

Page 9 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

cybrsage

Lifer
Nov 17, 2011
The law is easy to justify. The Constitution says only citizens can vote. It also provides an age limit. We have laws which require you to be above a certain age in order to buy alcohol, and part of the enforcement of this law is requiring photo ID to prove you are above that age.

So, to vote, you need to show photo ID to prove you are above 18. If it is stupid wrt voting, it is also stupid wrt alcohol. If it is not stupid wrt alcohol, it is also not stupid wrt voting.

Done and done.

a777pilot

Diamond Member
Apr 26, 2011
The law is easy to justify. The Constitution says only citizens can vote. It also provides an age limit. We have laws which require you to be above a certain age in order to buy alcohol, and part of the enforcement of this law is requiring photo ID to prove you are above that age.

So, to vote, you need to show photo ID to prove you are above 18. If it is stupid wrt voting, it is also stupid wrt alcohol. If it is not stupid wrt alcohol, it is also not stupid wrt voting.

Done and done.

Age is one* reqirement to be qualified to vote. The important qualification is that of citizenship. How does showing a photo ID at the time of voting solve that little problem? Answer: It doesn't.

*Correction to my post to make it what I had intended it to say.

Thanks for the two members for bringing this error to my attention.

Last edited:

Bowfinger

Lifer
Nov 17, 2002
Now you are straight up lying. You most certainly DID quote me explaining what a lie is.

You keep pretending a lie means something other than it means. Until you clarify you position, you have are falling deeper into the crumbling ground.

Nope. You still refuse to state your actual position. Simply state how you can support the disenfranchisement of the eldery, poor, and minorities in one instance but be against it in the other.
Forum rules prevent me from giving you the response you deserve. Instead, I'll simply tell you to go Cheney yourself. If you have any interest whatsoever in an honest discussion, I told you what you need to do. Until then, it is quite apparent you are not.

Toodles kids. I really need to get to the office.

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
Age is not reqirement to be qualified to vote. The important qualification is that of citizenship. How does showing a photo ID at the time of voting solve that little problem? Answer: It doesn't.

This is true, there is no explicit age requirement to vote. Furthermore, the purchase of alcohol is not a constitutionally protected activity.

cybrsage

Lifer
Nov 17, 2011
Age is not reqirement to be qualified to vote. The important qualification is that of citizenship. How does showing a photo ID at the time of voting solve that little problem? Answer: It doesn't.

Yes, 18 is the constitutional age to vote. This was changed due to the Vietnam War. It has been this way for 41 years now.

Amendment 26 - Voting Age Set to 18 Years.Ratified 7/1/1971.History
1. The right of citizens of the United States, who are eighteen years of age or older, to vote shall not be denied or abridged by the United States or by any State on account of age.
2. The Congress shall have power to enforce this article by appropriate legislation.
http://www.usconstitution.net/const.html#Am26

Barring fake IDs, it is 100% effective at verifying the required age.

cybrsage

Lifer
Nov 17, 2011
Forum rules prevent me from giving you the response you deserve. Instead, I'll simply tell you to go Cheney yourself. If you have any interest whatsoever in an honest discussion, I told you what you need to do. Until then, it is quite apparent you are not.

Toodles kids. I really need to get to the office.

LOL Still refusing to clarify your position yet claiming people are lying about the position you refuse to clarify.

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ILJDudUpct0&feature=player_embedded

As to the two members that are trying to tell me that there is an age requirement to vote....get your head out of your ass and read what I posted. You idiots....I know that.

Good grief it's like trying to teach drunks how to read.

When you two sober up, please rejoin the debate.

There actually isn't an age requirement to vote. There is a prohibition on banning anyone over the age of 18 from voting, but there's nothing stopping states from extending the franchise lower were they to so choose.

Infant voting 2012! Hell, fetus voting! (as they are people because Jesus)

a777pilot

Diamond Member
Apr 26, 2011
There actually isn't an age requirement to vote. There is a prohibition on banning anyone over the age of 18 from voting, but there's nothing stopping states from extending the franchise lower were they to so choose.

Convoluted and specious thinking there.

blankslate

Diamond Member
Jun 16, 2008
Voter fraud committed by individual voters occurs at a very low rate...

about 0.005% or less in states where it was looked into. (maybe 0.05% at most)

Election fraud committed by manipulating machines? well that's worth looking into considering how insecure some of the machines are.

nehalem256

Lifer
Apr 13, 2012

Seem to me like not allowing people under the age of 18 to vote is voter suppression.

a777pilot

Diamond Member
Apr 26, 2011
Voter fraud committed by individual voters occurs at a very low rate...

about 0.005% or less in states where it was looked into. (maybe 0.05% at most)

Election fraud committed by manipulating machines? well that's worth looking into considering how insecure some of the machines are.

In the 1970's there was a DOD study that estimated that there were hundreds of thousands of illegals registered to vote and voting. I doubt this problem had lessened since then.

There are many illegals registered to vote. Every time there is a demonstration by Hispanics against some State law enforcing voter or immigration laws, please notice that the Democrat party is always out in force registering as many "voters" as they can find.

Don't tell me that there is not an illegal voter problem. There is. It just goes with all the other voter fraud perpetrated by the Democrat Party.

blankslate

Diamond Member
Jun 16, 2008
Don't tell me that there is not an illegal voter problem. There is. It just goes with all the other voter fraud perpetrated by the Democrat Party.

Show me the link then. And I'll find the paper I've read online by the end of the day.

The research paper I've seen showed a very low rate in the states they looked at.

BTW it's the Democratic Party. People in it are democrats but bills they support are democratic proposals not democrat proposals.

cybrsage

Lifer
Nov 17, 2011
Age is one* reqirement to be qualified to vote. The important qualification is that of citizenship. How does showing a photo ID at the time of voting solve that little problem? Answer: It doesn't.

*Correction to my post to make it what I had intended it to say.

Thanks for the two members for bringing this error to my attention.

No one part of the Constitution is more important than the others. Are you saying we should not required proof of age to vote, yet require proof of age to buy alcohol?

Photo ID helps verify the voter meets a Constitutional requirement. This is a good thing.

EDIT: Also, all states have laws showing 18 as the legal age, lets simply enforce the law, like we do with alcohol.

Last edited:

a777pilot

Diamond Member
Apr 26, 2011
No one part of the Constitution is more important than the others. Are you saying we should not required proof of age to vote, yet require proof of age to buy alcohol?

Photo ID helps verify the voter meets a Constitutional requirement. This is a good thing.

EDIT: Also, all states have laws showing 18 as the legal age, lets simply enforce the law, like we do with alcohol.

Oh, good grief!

You you really that dense?

Yes, there is an age requirement. Showing a government photo ID would satisfy that requirement, but would do nothing to satisfy the requirement to be a US citizen. I have a government issued photo ID that actually is proof that I am a citizen of the USA, but most don't. I know for sure a State issued driver's license is not proof of citizenship.

I'm not saying one part of the Constitution is more important than any other. I would like voters to meet ALL requirements to vote.

cybrsage

Lifer
Nov 17, 2011
Yes, there is an age requirement. Showing a government photo ID would satisfy that requirement, but would do nothing to satisfy the requirement to be a US citizen. I have a government issued photo ID that actually is proof that I am a citizen of the USA, but most don't. I know for sure a State issued driver's license is not proof of citizenship.

Then you are for using a photo ID to show people meet this requirement, right?

I'm not saying one part of the Constitution is more important than any other. I would like voters to meet ALL requirements to vote.

OK, so how would you do that?

nehalem256

Lifer
Apr 13, 2012
Oh, good grief!

You you really that dense?

Simple. When you apply for a Driver's License/State ID, if you are a Resident Alien you stamp the card with "Legal Resident until xx/xx/xx", or have the card automatically expire on the date their legal residence ends.

a777pilot

Diamond Member
Apr 26, 2011
Then you are for using a photo ID to show people meet this requirement, right?

OK, so how would you do that?

I don't care if there is a Voter ID law or not. It's OK with me if the States want to have one but it will not solve the problem of illegals voting.

I would try to get a handle on this illegal voters by making it a requirement to show proof of citizenship and age when registering to vote.

What is wrong with that?

I would also make a purge of all voter registration rolls once every ten years. This to get rid of those that have moved, died (Sorry Cook county) or have not voted in ten years. I would also have everyone that is excused form serving on a jury because they say they are not a citizens checked to see if they are on any voter roll. That name and circumstances ought be sent to all states.

corwin

Diamond Member
Jan 13, 2006
I say suppress all votes and just let the supreme court decide every election, worked in 2000:colbert:

cybrsage

Lifer
Nov 17, 2011
I don't care if there is a Voter ID law or not. It's OK with me if the States want to have one but it will not solve the problem of illegals voting.

I would try to get a handle on this illegal voters by making it a requirement to show proof of citizenship and age when registering to vote.

What is wrong with that?

I would also make a purge of all voter registration rolls once every ten years. This to get rid of those that have moved, died (Sorry Cook county) or have not voted in ten years. I would also have everyone that is excused form serving on a jury because they say they are not a citizens checked to see if they are on any voter roll. That name and circumstances ought be sent to all states.

I can agree with all that. In the meantime, we can use photo ID to show proof of age. One potential violation method down, we can move to the others.

Quite possibly the fix is for each state to place "US CITIZEN" in black on the photo IDs and put "FOREIGN NATIONAL" in red on the photo IDs. The colors are not relevant, provided they are very different.

cybrsage

Lifer
Nov 17, 2011
I say suppress all votes and just let the supreme court decide every election, worked in 2000:colbert:

They only had to step in because democrats in Florida do not understand you can only vote once for each office in an election.

a777pilot

Diamond Member
Apr 26, 2011

Actually it did.

The Democrat Party in Florida screwed up when they tried to have recounts in selective counties. If they had been smart, big if, they, the Democrats should have requested ALL counties be re-counted.

Idiots.

As it turns out, even the New York Times had to finally admit that Mr. Bush won the vote in Florida.