Vote For Freeman

Page 5 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Mike Gayner

Diamond Member
Jan 5, 2007
Originally posted by: KeypoX
Originally posted by: TheVrolok
Originally posted by: coldmeat
hmm gordon vs link. tough choice

not really. Link easy. The story of HL is weak the games are fun but the storys arent really needed. And the multiplier is what made the games so popular.

Link on the other hand has been around longer and has way better stories and games. And I love HL but come on insert any random 3d shooter char and the games are just as good.

The story of HL isn't needed? I wouldn't even play the HL games if it weren't for the story/characters.. otherwise it would just be a typical rail FPS.. and, for me, would suck. I don't really care for FPS games, but I love the HL series. Having said that, Link is still pretty cool, Ocarina of Time is one of my favorite games of all time, but I was a PC gamer long, long before I was a true console gamer - so I may have to go with Gordon overall.

man i beat most HL games still workign on ep2 i think. I dont really remember any of the story.

I always felt the best part about the HL series was the physics and new elements they added to the 3d shooter. Its more fun to play because its not just killing aimlessly. HL2 with the gravity gun a new fun way to interact. But the story, I dont even know what it was. Something about aliens or something?

Yup, just as I suspected. You're one of those gamers (typically aged 17 or younger, at least mentally) who needs his hand held through the story, with plenty of third-person story sequences so you can be told the story like a child. The story in HL is incredible, unfortunately it went way over your head.

TheVrolok

Lifer
Dec 11, 2000

not really. Link easy. The story of HL is weak the games are fun but the storys arent really needed. And the multiplier is what made the games so popular.

Link on the other hand has been around longer and has way better stories and games. And I love HL but come on insert any random 3d shooter char and the games are just as good.

The story of HL isn't needed? I wouldn't even play the HL games if it weren't for the story/characters.. otherwise it would just be a typical rail FPS.. and, for me, would suck. I don't really care for FPS games, but I love the HL series. Having said that, Link is still pretty cool, Ocarina of Time is one of my favorite games of all time, but I was a PC gamer long, long before I was a true console gamer - so I may have to go with Gordon overall.

man i beat most HL games still workign on ep2 i think. I dont really remember any of the story.

I always felt the best part about the HL series was the physics and new elements they added to the 3d shooter. Its more fun to play because its not just killing aimlessly. HL2 with the gravity gun a new fun way to interact. But the story, I dont even know what it was. Something about aliens or something?

I'd say you're in the minority with that. :) But seeing as you still haven't beaten Ep2 I'd say the series never really grabbed you in the beginning anyway. To each their own, I suppose, but the HL series is definitely known for it's storytelling/cinematic feel.

pmv

Lifer
May 30, 2008
I thought HL1 was a huge step forward in the way it told the story, which was one of the things that made it great. But subsequent episodes have reminded me of those time-sink 'make it up as they go along' miniseries like Lost or Heroes. I really doubt even Valve really knows whats going on or how to resolve the different parts of the storylines. I tend to agree with KeypoX, I've given up trying to make sense of any of it and just go along for the ride. Few of the story elements really make much sense. Telling the story in-game without tedious cut-scenes is a good thing, but I'm not convinced Valve really have a fully thought-through story behind it any more.

Zensal

Jan 18, 2005
Originally posted by: pmv
I thought HL1 was a huge step forward in the way it told the story, which was one of the things that made it great. But subsequent episodes have reminded me of those time-sink 'make it up as they go along' miniseries like Lost or Heroes. I really doubt even Valve really knows whats going on or how to resolve the different parts of the storylines. I tend to agree with KeypoX, I've given up trying to make sense of any of it and just go along for the ride. Few of the story elements really make much sense. Telling the story in-game without tedious cut-scenes is a good thing, but I'm not convinced Valve really have a fully thought-through story behind it any more.

Actually, there is a "Half-life bible" The entire overreaching story is already written. What they make us do to get there is another story. I'll see if I can find the quote.

And Freeman is up 279 votes.

pmv

Lifer
May 30, 2008
Originally posted by: Zensal

Actually, there is a "Half-life bible" The entire overreaching story is already written. What they make us do to get there is another story. I'll see if I can find the quote.

And Freeman is up 279 votes.

Well I hope so. An awful lot of TV shows seem to create complex and mysterious plot arcs that they then can't find any resolution for. I fear HL may be the gaming equivalent. I seem to remember the X-files, for example, claimed to have a fully-thought-out meta-story but then it turned out they were just making it up as they went along.

Still rate the first game as probably the best single player game ever, though.

I wonder if Freeman is getting votes from even non HL players as he's both the only PC character left and, I think, the only non-Nintendo character? That contest is full of console characters I've never heard of. The final should have been Gordon vs Threepwood!

Mike Gayner

Diamond Member
Jan 5, 2007

Wut? What parts of the story are unreconcilable?

TheVrolok

Lifer
Dec 11, 2000
Originally posted by: Mike Gayner

I was thinking about this, too, the HL story seems pretty easy to follow to me. It's like a quality sci-fi movie/miniseries unfolding. :)

KeypoX

Diamond Member
Aug 31, 2003

Yup, just as I suspected. You're one of those gamers (typically aged 17 or younger, at least mentally) who needs his hand held through the story, with plenty of third-person story sequences so you can be told the story like a child. The story in HL is incredible, unfortunately it went way over your head.

LOL yeah thats right. So incredible, but you have to be quasi genius like you to understand it. Way to deep for us simpletons to understand.

novasatori

Diamond Member
Feb 27, 2003
he had a surge of votes it would seem

Gordon Freeman Link
51.4% Votes 48.6% Votes
76471 Votes 72319 Votes

Oh wow I just saw the Steam News update

hahahah that's why - go freeman!

GTSRguy

Sep 21, 2009
How the hell did that happen? I smell vote fraud, gamespot removes fraud votes. Hopefully they are legit...why would all the sudden 5k people vote for gordon?

EDIT: im told there was an announcement on steam about the voting. Once steam decided to stop fking up on my desktop i might receive it.

Mike Gayner

Diamond Member
Jan 5, 2007
Originally posted by: GTSRguy
How the hell did that happen? I smell vote fraud, gamespot removes fraud votes. Hopefully they are legit...why would all the sudden 5k people vote for gordon?

It's not fraud moran, the poll was featured on the Steam news. How fucking awesome is this?

GTSRguy

Sep 21, 2009

It's not fraud moran, the poll was featured on the Steam news. How fucking awesome is this?

Fraud? What the hell was i thinking? What a crazy suggestion. Its not like there has been any fraud already why would i suspect fraud? I dont know where i get these ideas

Now that steam decided to open on my computer, i now got the announcent. That. Is. Awsome. Gordon is the master of getting out of tight situations

Mike Gayner

Diamond Member
Jan 5, 2007

Fraud? What the hell was i thinking? What a crazy suggestion. Its not like there has been any fraud already why would i suspect fraud? I dont know where i get these ideas

Now that steam decided to open on my computer, i now got the announcent. That. Is. Awsome. Gordon is the master of getting out of tight situations

Or you could have read two posts above yours.

pmv

Lifer
May 30, 2008

I was thinking about this, too, the HL story seems pretty easy to follow to me. It's like a quality sci-fi movie/miniseries unfolding. :)

I was thinking it was really, really embarrassingly geeky to actually answer the above question. But as there's two of you asking now...

(I mean, its not like I really, deeply care about this or expect detailed attempts at answers, I do know its just a game, and a pretty good one)

But, off the top of my head, from what I remember...

Why does the G-man put you on a train that is in fact leading you to your doom? You are only saved by the fortuitous intervention of Barny - how could the G-man be sure that would happen?

What the heck is the G-man up to anyway? Where the heck did he come from?

Why do you, later on, effectively completely surrender yourself to the Combine forces (actually voluntarily climbing into that conveyor-belt coffin thing), only to be saved by their carelessness regarding the gravity gun and the back heel flip of Judith, neither of which you could have predicted? Why did Freeman do that, other than the fact the game's on-rails nature gave him nowhere else to go?

In fact throughout the whole of HL2 I had only the haziest idea why I was going in a given direction or of what I was trying to accomplish, other than I was just going the only direction the game was allowing me to go. There didn't seem to be any over-arching mission for Gordon, he just kept reacting to events, e.g. the teleporter malfunctioning, whatsisface the scientist getting captured, BM east getting attacked, Judith changing sides again. As Freeman you are just a pawn being pushed around by seemingly random events beyond your control (events that the G-man can presumably somehow magically predict??).

Why did the G-man reactivate the nuke back in BM in Opposing Force? (I gather the rest of OF was 'non canon' so doesn't have to be explained).

Why did Dr Breen insist against advice on going ahead with the experiment that led to the disaster, if he only _afterwards_ came to an arrangement with the Combine? What is his relation to the G-man? Why did the G-man keep popping up all over BM in the original incident? What was he arguing with the scientist about when you see him pre-disaster? What's the relation between the G-man and the Vortigaunts? What was he discussing with the resistance leader you see him talking to through the telescope?

What exactly are the Combine trying to achieve, and why do they keep relocating people from one city to another, given they are planning to do everyone in anyway? Why do they care whether anyone has kids or not (other, presumably, than it would lead to poor taste elements if there were children featured in the game)

What's the point of the headcrabs being dropped all over the place? Especially when they end up attacking Combine troops.

What was that giant alien thing you saw launched into space during one of the episodes?

What exactly does the Combine have to do with the Big Bad you defeated at the end of the first HL (Nihilinth or whatever he was?).

Why did the G-man reappear to save you after you'd dealt with Breen, and was his whole plan for you to finish off Breen all along, in which case how could have known it would have worked out like that (given it depended on so many contingent events) and why did he want that to happen? And how did the Vorts come to appear just then to rescue you from the G-man? And if he's sold your services to 'the highest bidder' as I think he says at one point, what the hell form of currency did he use? Some sort of interdimensional dollar standard?

And, most importantly, why does Barny never actually get that beer Freeman promised him?

I may be taking this too seriously.

Liet

Golden Member
Jun 9, 2001
Thanks, you've ruined Half-Life for me!

;)

Edit: In all seriousness, I do agree that I move forward in HL because that's the only way I can go, and that the general atmosphere of the game is that of chance and fortune, rather than premeditated designs.

Unless the G-Man can predict bridges collapsing, trains derailing, etc. etc.

Zensal

Jan 18, 2005

I was thinking it was really, really embarrassingly geeky to actually answer the above question. But as there's two of you asking now...

(I mean, its not like I really, deeply care about this or expect detailed attempts at answers, I do know its just a game, and a pretty good one)

Why does the G-man put you on a train that is in fact leading you to your doom? You are only saved by the fortuitous intervention of Barny - how could the G-man be sure that would happen?

Why do you, later on, effectively completely surrender yourself to the Combine forces (actually voluntarily climbing into that conveyor-belt coffin thing), only to be saved by their carelessness regarding the gravity gun and the back heel flip of Judith, neither of which you could have predicted? Why did Freeman do that, other than the fact the game's on-rails nature gave him nowhere else to go?

In fact throughout the whole of HL2 I had only the haziest idea why I was going in a given direction or of what I was trying to accomplish, other than I was just going the only direction the game was allowing me to go. There didn't seem to be any over-arching mission for Gordon, he just kept reacting to events, e.g. the teleporter malfunctioning, whatsisface the scientist getting captured, BM east getting attacked, Judith changing sides again. As Freeman you are just a pawn being pushed around by seemingly random events beyond your control (events that the G-man can presumably somehow magically predict??).

Why did the G-man reactivate the nuke back in BM in Opposing Force? (I gather the rest of OF was 'non canon' so doesn't have to be explained).

Why did Dr Breen insist against advice on going ahead with the experiment that led to the disaster, if he only _afterwards_ came to an arrangement with the Combine? What is his relation to the G-man? Why did the G-man keep popping up all over BM in the original incident? What was he arguing with the scientist about when you see him pre-disaster? What's the relation between the G-man and the Vortigaunts? What was he discussing with the resistance leader you see him talking to through the telescope?

What exactly are the Combine trying to achieve, and why do they keep relocating people from one city to another, given they are planning to do everyone in anyway? Why do they care whether anyone has kids or not (other, presumably, than it would lead to poor taste elements if there were children featured in the game)

What's the point of the headcrabs being dropped all over the place? Especially when they end up attacking Combine troops.

What was that giant alien thing you saw launched into space during one of the episodes?

What exactly does the Combine have to do with the Big Bad you defeated at the end of the first HL (Nihilinth or whatever he was?).

Why did the G-man reappear to save you after you'd dealt with Breen, and was his whole plan for you to finish off Breen all along, in which case how could have known it would have worked out like that (given it depended on so many contingent events) and why did he want that to happen? And how did the Vorts come to appear just then to rescue you from the G-man? And if he's sold your services to 'the highest bidder' as I think he says at one point, what the hell form of currency did he use? Some sort of interdimensional dollar standard?

And, most importantly, why does Barny never actually get that beer Freeman promised him?

Well, I can answer part of this.

The G-Man put you on that train because Breen had hired him to do that. If the combine captured Gordon, then the resistance would have most likely crumbled.

As far as Nihilinth is concerned, they were fighting the combine and were driven to Xen. Xen just happened to be the closest place, dimentionally speaking, to Earth. In HL1, Gordon was actually fighting what could have been our allies against the combine, hence why the resistances is now allied with the Vorts.

The G-mans plan was not for you to finish Breen. Breen was his "customer." With Breen dead, why lose your valuable asset(Freeman).

Edit: And Gordon is now up 34,079 votes. Wow.

Mike Gayner

Diamond Member
Jan 5, 2007
pmv, you're either a troll or you're just not that smart. Let me try to explain the story using small words you'll understand.

Originally posted by: pmvWhy does the G-man put you on a train that is in fact leading you to your doom? You are only saved by the fortuitous intervention of Barny - how could the G-man be sure that would happen?
I doubt he was expecting Barney to save him. Do you know would have happened if Barney hadn't saved him? Because I don't.

Ugh, this is definitely trolling.

Never did you surrender yourself to them. You're in the Citadel to cause it to destabilise, and also to save Eli. You get into the coffin thing because there's no where else to go. It's a risk, and it pays off.

Yup, troll.

I dont remember the story of OF that well, but I wouldn't pay too much attention to continuity with OF and BS.

You obviously paid zero attention to the dialog in the game. Breen is a die hard, risk taking scientist. No one (except G Man) predicted the resonance cascade, but Breen took advantage of the situation by teaming up with the Combine.

The G Man's actions are supposed to be mysterious. We know a lot about him and his actions, but there is far more about him we don't know. We know he orchastrated the resonance cascade, and has a very serious interest that seems to transcend the battle between combine and the vortigons.

From what I can see, the combine want to enslave some of the human race, and probably want the planet. I doubt they have use for the entire world's population, which is why they continue to cull the humans down.

They are an effective weapon, but a messy one. Combine leadership dont seem to have much regard for the individual lives of their soldiers, so they're willing to take that risk.

I'm not sure what you're referring to, but I'm guessing you're talking about the escape of the Advisors. We'll know more about them in the future.

The combine had it's attention on Nkihilinth's race, the vortigons. When humans created a protal to Xen, this race escaped to earth (they were on Xen in a last ditch effort to fend off the combine). The combine noticed this, and followed them, and hence discovered earth.

Ugh, seriously? He tells you why he appears - he's not finished with you just yet. As for how he knew - although events might now happens exactly how G Man plans, the results are always what he intends. He ensures this. That's what makes him mysterious.

And seriously, you're asking what currency? Are you retarded? Oh wait, no, you're a troll.

Mike Gayner

Diamond Member
Jan 5, 2007

Well, I can answer part of this.

The G-Man put you on that train because Breen had hired him to do that. If the combine captured Gordon, then the resistance would have most likely crumbled.

As far as Nihilinth is concerned, they were fighting the combine and were driven to Xen. Xen just happened to be the closest place, dimentionally speaking, to Earth. In HL1, Gordon was actually fighting what could have been our allies against the combine, hence why the resistances is now allied with the Vorts.

The G-mans plan was not for you to finish Breen. Breen was his "customer." With Breen dead, why lose your valuable asset(Freeman).

Edit: And Gordon is now up 34,079 votes. Wow.

I dont think Breen and G Man are in bed together. I see no reason to believe this. G Man seems to have a vested interest in seeing the resistance succeed, where Breen wants them Combine to succeed.

potato28

Diamond Member
Jun 27, 2005
The GS forums are great if you want a laugh, especially since school is out now. :laugh:

Zensal

Jan 18, 2005

I dont think Breen and G Man are in bed together. I see no reason to believe this. G Man seems to have a vested interest in seeing the resistance succeed, where Breen wants them Combine to succeed.

It must have been a theory I read somewhere, because I can't find it again.

Anyway, I think the G-Man has no alliances period. I believe that Breen hired the G-Man to put Freeman in the train at the beginning of HL2 so that the Combine could capture him and probably end the resistance. This backfired completely as Freeman escaped and ended up defeating Breen.

As far as payment goes, their has to be something the G-Man wants. Otherwise he wouldn't be hiring you out.

Mike Gayner

Diamond Member
Jan 5, 2007

It must have been a theory I read somewhere, because I can't find it again.

Anyway, I think the G-Man has no alliances period. I believe that Breen hired the G-Man to put Freeman in the train at the beginning of HL2 so that the Combine could capture him and probably end the resistance. This backfired completely as Freeman escaped and ended up defeating Breen.

As far as payment goes, their has to be something the G-Man wants. Otherwise he wouldn't be hiring you out.

I dunno, I'm pretty sure in the HL universe G Man is WAY above Breen in the power heirarchy. I don't think G Man has any interest in Freeman getting caught, and I don't think he would work for Breen.

We will eventually find out what G Man's interests are, but I think it goes way above being a lacky for Breen.