postmortemIA

Diamond Member
Jul 11, 2006
Hi, I was playing Deus Ex: Human Revolution, and in middle of loading scene, screen froze. Then I've press the reset button, but I was not successful to get Windows to boot up ever again with it. It just freezes up after initial Windows logo.

Since I had dual boot, I've tried to boot to Win 10, and still same thing - goes past initial screen, then it just freezes up.

Tried my onboard and older cards... all of them work fine - Windows goes to desktop. Has anybody experienced something like this? I am few clicks away from ordering another card.

(I've never overclocked the card, had it since 2012)

Bacon1

Diamond Member
Feb 14, 2016
Hi, I was playing Deus Ex: Human Revolution, and in middle of loading scene, screen froze. Then I've press the reset button, but I was not successful to get Windows to boot up ever again with it. It just freezes up after initial Windows logo.

Since I had dual boot, I've tried to boot to Win 10, and still same thing - goes past initial screen, then it just freezes up.

Tried my onboard and older cards... all of them work fine - Windows goes to desktop. Has anybody experienced something like this? I am few clicks away from ordering another card.

(I've never overclocked the card, had it since 2012)

Try booting into safe mode? if you get any output its probably not the video card

LTC8K6

Lifer
Mar 10, 2004
I think you've diagnosed it correctly.

Enjoy your new modern card.

severus

Dec 30, 2007
Since there's no more warranty on the card anyway, remove the heatsink and reapply thermal paste. Try it again after that. I'm willing to bet it's overheating due to a lack of paste.

Reactions: DAPUNISHER

DAPUNISHER

Super Moderator CPU Forum Mod and Elite Member
Super Moderator
Aug 22, 2001
Since there's no more warranty on the card anyway, remove the heatsink and reapply thermal paste. Try it again after that. I'm willing to bet it's overheating due to a lack of paste.
This is the first thing to try. And ascertain if the fan/s are working. Unlikely it is failing that fast due to heat IME, but I do not doubt it happens. VRM or something probably bit the dust.

BTW, a card working with generic drivers does not mean it is ok. Seen too many bad cards prolong someone's troubleshoot because it did just that. Or because it would handle 2D mode. In some of those cases you can keep them limping along by editing the firmware to reduce faulty ram or core speed to a stable value.

postmortemIA

Diamond Member
Jul 11, 2006
Thanks for all replies.

Safe mode works, but that's about it.
About thermal paste - it is not overheating, I know that temps were pretty low since I've been monitoring them. I have played game for like 2 minutes before it crashed, so not even enough time to overheat.

EDIT: Fans are working,visually checked them.

More "diagnostics" ... crashes PC as soon as driver is loaded. Like works until you install driver and them BAM! There's nothing that can be done except order a new card.

namx01

Nov 27, 2012
Thanks for all replies.

Safe mode works, but that's about it.
About thermal paste - it is not overheating, I know that temps were pretty low since I've been monitoring them. I have played game for like 2 minutes before it crashed, so not even enough time to overheat.

EDIT: Fans are working,visually checked them.

More "diagnostics" ... crashes PC as soon as driver is loaded. Like works until you install driver and them BAM! There's nothing that can be done except order a new card.

Post, pm me You may be interested...........

Last edited: