Virginia Ex-GOP Sen. John Warner endorses Democrat

GarfieldtheCat

Diamond Member
Jan 7, 2005
Man, I can't keep up with the constant right-shift of the definition of a RINO.

So how far to the right do you have to be nowadays to not be a RINO? Ronald Reagan is a RINO now, McCain too. How far right to you have to be now?

Just goes to show how insane the GOP has become.

Jimzz

Diamond Member
Oct 23, 2012

So how far to the right do you have to be nowadays to not be a RINO? Ronald Reagan is a RINO now, McCain too. How far right to you have to be now?

Says the RINO. :colbert:

But both Warners are very moderate. Many thing the Rep Warner is to liberal and many think the Dem Warner is to conservative. So I am not surprised by this endorsement. That and Warner will be very hard to beat, he's still popular.

Nov 30, 2006
A Republican endorses a Democrat and this somehow represents a right-shift of the definition of a RINO? You're the last person on this forum who should be talking about people you think are insane.

MagickMan

Diamond Member
Aug 11, 2008
A Republican endorses a Democrat and this somehow represents a right-shift of the definition of a RINO? You're the last person on this forum who should be talking about people you think are insane.

He isn't insane, just irredeemably stupid.

GarfieldtheCat

Diamond Member
Jan 7, 2005

Excuse me? Are you looking in the mirror instead of talking to me?

Do you deny there is a continual rightward shift of the GOP over the past 20 some years? If so, provide proof. This is just one more incident which shows it. Have you seen the other thread where McCain is a RINO, and got called out by the state GOP there?

Because the modern GOP is moving far to the right, as I noted with McCain and Reagan now RINOs.

So post your evidence that the GOP isn't moving to the right. I'll be waiting.

Nov 30, 2006
Excuse me? Are you looking in the mirror instead of talking to me?

Do you deny there is a continual rightward shift of the GOP over the past 20 some years? If so, provide proof. This is just one more incident which shows it. Have you seen the other thread where McCain is a RINO, and got called out by the state GOP there?

Because the modern GOP is moving far to the right, as I noted with McCain and Reagan now RINOs.

So post your evidence that the GOP isn't moving to the right. I'll be waiting.
McCain has been called a RINO for a long, long time by many Republicans. I don't know what you're smoking, but you should consider quitting for a while as it's really fucking up your head.

hal2kilo

Lifer
Feb 24, 2009

Virginia is starting to come out of the complete switchover from only electing democratic dixecrates since the Civil War then completly switching over to the Republican party after Johnson signed the Civil Rights Act of 1964 . Virginia is moderating to the point that both moderate republicans and democrates can get elected to the highest office of the state. Thus, in todays partisan climate one can easily say that Warner is a moderate Republican and could fit the definition of a Rino.

Also, Virginia kinda went teapartyish after scaring themselves when the state actually went for Obama. I don't think Warner is of that ilk and that's why he recommending the Dem. He knows that the teaparty is batshit crazy.

Moonbeam

Elite Member
Nov 24, 1999
McCain has been called a RINO for a long, long time by many Republicans. I don't know what you're smoking, but you should consider quitting for a while as it's really fucking up your head.

Oh, Jesus, not you too. You may be the one who is insane. Your calling his opinion drug induces could well imply that as the likely explanation because you can't really have any idea if his opinion results from taking drugs or is so radically diametrical from your own that it triggers an emotional response that unbeknownst to you, impairs your rational capacity to critically evaluate his position. Your counter argument is also specious. The fact that someone has been called something in the past does not mean that more and more people today call him that reflecting the growth and development of a trend. Furthermore he has been called that before but today he is being censured and attacked for it. To put it rather bluntly, anybody who can't see that the Republican party is moving to the right and had it's last candidate for Pres. announce he was a 'sever conservative', has, in my opinion, to be completely deranged.

Here is as article by a Republican describing the trend to madness in his party that is several years old: http://nymag.com/news/politics/conservatives-david-frum-2011-11/

Last edited:
Nov 30, 2006
Oh, Jesus, not you too. You may be the one who is insane. Your calling his opinion drug induces could well imply that as the likely explanation because you can't really have any idea if his opinion results from taking drugs or is so radically diametrical from your own that it triggers an emotional response that unbeknownst to you, impairs your rational capacity to critically evaluate his position. Your counter argument is also specious. The fact that someone has been called something in the past does not mean that more and more people today call him that reflecting the growth and development of a trend. Furthermore he has been called that before but today he is being censured and attacked for it. To put it rather bluntly, anybody who can't see that the Republican party is moving to the right and had it's last candidate for Pres. announce he was a 'sever conservative', has, in my opinion, to be completely deranged.

Here is as article by a Republican describing the trend to madness in his party that is several years old: http://nymag.com/news/politics/conservatives-david-frum-2011-11/
Over the years McCain has sided with Democrats on many issues and was apparently a little too vocal of late against many members of the Republican Party. You seemed to be surprised and outraged that he was censured and attacked for criticizing his own party. Where you as equally outraged when the Democrats effectively ousted Lieberman from the Democratic Party? Was the Democratic Party moving with a continual leftward shift over the past 25 some years?

http://www.thedailybeast.com/articl...motion-divorce-from-the-democratic-party.html

McCain is a RINO and has always been considered a RINO. Get real.

Moonbeam

Elite Member
Nov 24, 1999
Over the years McCain has sided with Democrats on many issues and was apparently a little too vocal of late against many members of the Republican Party. You seemed to be surprised and outraged that he was censured and attacked for criticizing his own party. Where you as equally outraged when the Democrats effectively ousted Lieberman from the Democratic Party? Was the Democratic Party moving with a continual leftward shift over the past 25 some years?

http://www.thedailybeast.com/articl...motion-divorce-from-the-democratic-party.html

Jesus, has the Republican Party moved to the right??? Yes or fucking no?

Thump553

Lifer
Jun 2, 2000
Doc-that's nonsense. The GOP/teabaggers officially jumped the shark when they started labeling McCain (an extremely conservative politician by any objective measure) a RINO. The real reason McCain was labeled a RINO is that he dared talk, even negotiate with what teabaggers consider the "enemy" who will never ever have a decent idea. Rather than have an open democracy and free discussion of ideas what teabaggers demand is a single true belief followed by all.

Back on topic, the more interesting question to me is why a nationally known and lifetime GOP member endorsed someone from the other party. That's done pretty rarely and usually means one (or more) of three things: (1) the GOP candidate is a flake, (2) the Dem candidate is a superlatively great leader and/or (3) the endorser is on the cusp of jumping parties.

Nov 30, 2006
Virginia is starting to come out of the complete switchover from only electing democratic dixecrates since the Civil War then completly switching over to the Republican party after Johnson signed the Civil Rights Act of 1964 . Virginia is moderating to the point that both moderate republicans and democrates can get elected to the highest office of the state. Thus, in todays partisan climate one can easily say that Warner is a moderate Republican and could fit the definition of a Rino.

Also, Virginia kinda went teapartyish after scaring themselves when the state actually went for Obama. I don't think Warner is of that ilk and that's why he recommending the Dem. He knows that the teaparty is batshit crazy.
For the record I don't have a problem with Warner. But it's just total BS that someone would say he's being called a RINO because the party is moving far right while completely ignoring the fact that he endorsed a Democratic candidate as if that little fact has no bearing. Someone please show me a ranking Democrat that's ever endorsed a Republican candidate who wasn't considered a DINO.

Nov 30, 2006
Jesus, has the Republican Party moved to the right??? Yes or fucking no?
I've asked you many times for straight answers to honest questions only to be disappointed. How about this....I'll start answering your questions when you start answering mine.

Matt1970

Lifer
Mar 19, 2007
I've asked you many times for straight answers to honest questions only to be disappointed. How about this....I'll start answering your questions when you start answering mine.

Moonbeam can't actually answer a question. All he can do is post his usual psychobabble.

Nov 30, 2006
Doc-that's nonsense. The GOP/teabaggers officially jumped the shark when they started labeling McCain (an extremely conservative politician by any objective measure) a RINO. The real reason McCain was labeled a RINO is that he dared talk, even negotiate with what teabaggers consider the "enemy" who will never ever have a decent idea. Rather than have an open democracy and free discussion of ideas what teabaggers demand is a single true belief followed by all.
The Almanac of American Politics (2005) labeled McCain as 52% conservative, 47% liberal....not even close to the "extremely conservative politician by any objective measure" politician that you paint him to be. Yes, McCain may have become slightly more conservative during his career....but the fact is that he has a strong liberal streak and was called a RINO well before the Tea Party came into existence.

QuantumPion

Diamond Member
Jun 27, 2005

If you support Democrat politicians and policies over republicans than you are a RINO. It's not very complicated.

Moonbeam

Elite Member
Nov 24, 1999

What yes or no questions do you have?

Your questions are exhausting to answer and have no effect. Your questions are endless because you rationalize every answer I have given. You can't satisfy the questions of folk who do not want to hear the answers. This is a part of the conservative brain defect that conservatives deny they have.

You maintain that because the scientific research of liberal conservative differences doesn't use the term brain defect that it doesn't apply. It does apply when, say group loyalty leads to the destruction of the league, when conservatives go after and try to destroy liberals when they face no external threat. It is a defect because it leads to the destruction of the country. Anybody who is actively pursuing avenues of behavior that destroy the nation are defective and need to be eradicated like any other traitor. This is how I have a conservative mind. You fuck my country and I'll fuck with you, I will destroy you mercilessly and without compromise if need be, just as I would shoot you in the head if you tried to drive my family off a cliff, assuming that were an only option. And I would even do it if you refused to acknowledge that a cliff is a cliff. Right now there is still some time perhaps to persuade the brain defective that's there condition with argument and logic. You don't want to believe that the conservative brain defect isn't dangerous because you don't want to accept that conservative thinking is traitorous. The difference between liberal and conservative thinking is simply that I can tell you the truth without believing you're a monster. You are only blind and in denial. There is nothing to fault conservatives for because they can't help being how they are. They have experience deep pain and don't want to feel it ever again. But their denial is killing the world and that can't be allowed to stand, sorry.

Nov 25, 2013

"The politician who once best exemplified the idea of a "maverick" independent has shifted so far to the right that he is now tied for the title of the Senate's most conservative member, according to National Journal's 2010 vote ratings."

or

"According to a comprehensive examination of 96 Senate votes taken in 2010, Sen. John McCain, R-Ariz., along with seven of his colleagues, voted most often on the conservative side. His 89.7 composite conservative score ties him with stalwarts like Sen. Jim DeMint, R-S.C., and gives him a more conservative score than Sens. Tom Coburn, R-Okla., and Jeff Sessions, R-Ala"

http://www.nationaljournal.com/magazine/mccain-s-shift-makes-him-senate-s-most-conservative-20110224

or

"Club For Growth Rating: 91%
American Conservative Union Rating: 92
National Journal Composite Conservative Score: 73.2
Aggregate Score: 85.4"

http://www.businessinsider.com/most-conservative-members-senate-2013-2?op=1

Yep, sure looks like a RINO to me.

Thump553

Lifer
Jun 2, 2000
For the record I don't have a problem with Warner. But it's just total BS that someone would say he's being called a RINO because the party is moving far right while completely ignoring the fact that he endorsed a Democratic candidate as if that little fact has no bearing. Someone please show me a ranking Democrat that's ever endorsed a Republican candidate who wasn't considered a DINO.

Assuming there is such a thing as a DINO, Senator Joe Lieberman endorsed John McCain for President in 2008-including his infamous speech at the GOP convention. Yes there was a backlash against him (I specifically registered as a Dem to be able to vote in the primary against him) but he continued to caucus with the Dems until his retirement.

Plus I assume that there were a bunch of Dem politicians who endorsed Chris Christie for election in November, but that's a different story.