VIDEO RECOMMENDATIONS

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

SanDiegoPC

Jul 14, 2006
Originally posted by: Keysplayr
Originally posted by: SanDiegoPC
Originally posted by: ChrisAttebery
Originally posted by: nOOky
go with 6 gigs of ram instead

^ This. You have a triple channel memory arch. Use it.

If you're not gaming you're wasting $ on a new video card right now. Maybe after DX11 is released and more apps are GPGPU accelerated a new video card would be a good purchase.

I did put more RAM in it - 8G total and it is using triple channel. Of course, XP32 isn't but I am going to use Windows7-64 later this wk.

RE the Nvidia cards - I'm confused about the model numbering system. There are now 210 and 220 & such cards but the one I'm replacing is a GeForce 8800GT with factory overclock.

I was wondering if you could tell me why the new numbering system is different? Has the GeForce series run it's course now, and they are starting with a new series?

Thanks for all your help guys & girls.

I'd say G210/220 would be fine. One question though. How did you arrive at 8GB total system memory using triple channel?

The motherboard book shows the details, on how to use the RAM slots. Yea, I read books :)

Two dimms in the first channel, and then one in the primary channel of each of the other two. Each dimm is 2G. It boots up displaying triple channel memory, and 8G total. CPU=Z agrees fully.

SanDiegoPC

Jul 14, 2006
Man I gotta tell you that other PC is FAaaast! This quad that I've been using for a couple years runs fine and has, from day one. But the i7 processor & the super fast hard drive in the new machine is just a kick butt combo. I'm looking forward to Win7 64-bit to use all that RAM, too.

Maxspeed996

Dec 9, 2005
Originally posted by: edplayer
Originally posted by: Azn
I'm surprised people here recommend fermi and power hogs for non gaming system. :/

I'm not. That is typical here on this forum and other hardware forum. He needs to maintain a constant 60fps in Photoshop!

:thumbsup:

dflynchimp

Apr 11, 2007
yeah in fact with your processor even onboard graphics would work. Of course your motherboard doesn't seem to have that (not sure) but for photoshop and video encoding your proc alone has enough horsepower to do the work.

Munky

Diamond Member
Feb 5, 2005
Just keep the 8800gt, no need to waste money on a new card if you're not gaming.