VIDEO RECOMMENDATIONS

SanDiegoPC

Jul 14, 2006
New build is under Windows installation right now as I type. Here's what I have so far:

i7 920 Processor - to be overclocked
4GB of DDR3 1600 RAM
Samsung F1 7200 Terabyte Drive
Asus P6T board

I may use the PCI-e card that's in this system for the new one, but would like to know what a reasonably priced, multi-monitor replacement would be. Currently have an 8800GT Superclocked in use. Works fine but it's a couple years old as it was put together with this Quad Core 6600 system that's in my sig.

I'm not gaming with this new computer it will be running video and photoshop applications. I looked for a WesternDigital Black hard drive but the other forum told me the Samsung was faster so I got it.

Nvidia graphics card recommendations appreciated.

AyashiKaibutsu

Diamond Member
Jan 24, 2004
If you want nvidia, you pretty much have to wait for fermi to come out to make a good decision. I grabbed a 9800gt for 70$ with a combo deal for my new rig to hold me off till fermi comes out.

ZGrip

Sep 10, 2009
Sorry didn't read the no gaming part. Anything will do in the lower end of ATI or Nvidia

9400 GT to 9600 GT is fine from the Nvidia camp if you aren't doing anything GPU intensive.

It will probably be best to save as much money on the GPU as possible and put it into additional RAM.

That is unless you anticipate needing GPU power for CUDA direct compute etc.

Wreckage

Banned
Jul 1, 2005
Originally posted by: SanDiegoPC
Originally posted by: waffleironhead
What kind of budget are you thinking?

Under $200 - sorry forgot that key piece of info ,....

You can get a GTS250 for around $100 or a GTX260 for around $150 a 275 runs a bit over $200.

MarcVenice

Moderator Emeritus <br>
Apr 2, 2007
I'm not gaming with this new computer it will be running video and photoshop applications. I looked for a WesternDigital Black hard drive but the other forum told me the Samsung was faster so I got it.

Erm, 9400GT? HD 4350? Those won't use a lot of energy and will be cooled passively. There's no need for anything faster if all you do is video apps and photoshop ...

Hmm, maybe PS uses CUDA though? Or does it use direct compute 11.0? If you know, and care, you might want something a wee bit faster, like 9600gt, or 5750, but those cost more, use more energy and make more noise and are overkill for everything else you do.

nOOky

Platinum Member
Aug 17, 2004
Keep what you have, maybe go with 6 gigs of ram instead? Won't that help Photoshop more if you're dealing with large files? Maybe kick down a bit more for a 300 gig Raptor if you need the access and transfer speed as well?
Otherwise GTX260 216, I know nothing about the needs for a non-gamer :p

AzN

Banned
Nov 26, 2001
I'm surprised people here recommend fermi and power hogs for non gaming system. :/

edplayer

Platinum Member
Sep 13, 2002
Originally posted by: Azn
I'm surprised people here recommend fermi and power hogs for non gaming system. :/

I'm not. That is typical here on this forum and other hardware forum. He needs to maintain a constant 60fps in Photoshop!

ChrisAttebery

Nov 10, 2003
Originally posted by: nOOky
go with 6 gigs of ram instead

^ This. You have a triple channel memory arch. Use it.

If you're not gaming you're wasting $ on a new video card right now. Maybe after DX11 is released and more apps are GPGPU accelerated a new video card would be a good purchase.

AyashiKaibutsu

Diamond Member
Jan 24, 2004
Originally posted by: Azn

You shouldn't even be posting on anandtech without atleast quad sli 295s or quad crossfire 5990s.

SanDiegoPC

Jul 14, 2006
Originally posted by: ChrisAttebery

If you're not gaming you're wasting $ on a new video card right now. Maybe after DX11 is released and more apps are GPGPU accelerated a new video card would be a good purchase.

I did put more RAM in it - 8G total and it is using triple channel. Of course, XP32 isn't but I am going to use Windows7-64 later this wk.

RE the Nvidia cards - I'm confused about the model numbering system. There are now 210 and 220 & such cards but the one I'm replacing is a GeForce 8800GT with factory overclock.

I was wondering if you could tell me why the new numbering system is different? Has the GeForce series run it's course now, and they are starting with a new series?

Thanks for all your help guys & girls.

ZimZum

Golden Member
Aug 2, 2001
If your not gaming there is no reason to spend more than $40 dollars on video card.

akugami

Diamond Member
Feb 14, 2005
Originally posted by: MarcVenice

Erm, 9400GT? HD 4350? Those won't use a lot of energy and will be cooled passively. There's no need for anything faster if all you do is video apps and photoshop ...

Hmm, maybe PS uses CUDA though? Or does it use direct compute 11.0? If you know, and care, you might want something a wee bit faster, like 9600gt, or 5750, but those cost more, use more energy and make more noise and are overkill for everything else you do.

I'd agree with the lower end video card selections. Let's face it, any card from ATI or nVidia in the $50-100 range would be more than fine for Photoshop and any acceleration that the CS4 line of apps utilizes. Don't believe the hype of the fanboys saying that you need an nVidia card for Photoshop acceleration. Photoshop utilizes OpenGL 2.0 and Shader Model 2.0 which pretty much any modern video card supports. Here's the page for After Effects since you listed video apps.

As for CUDA based encoding and decoding. It's too early to make buying decisions on a video card for GPU assisted encoding and transcoding. The apps/plugins are really not robust enough to make decisions based on what's available. I'd recommend waiting and not possibly wasting your money for now.

I like the idea of GPGPU but it's just too early to invest in it. There will always be a faster product at a cheaper price. Only theoretically speaking on the time range but lets say it is going to take another year or two for robust products to appear. If you buy a product now it'll be less feature packed, and more pricey. If you wait to buy what you need then you will get a much faster and feature packed product at a similar price range.

SanDiegoPC

Jul 14, 2006

I'd agree with the lower end video card selections. Let's face it, any card from ATI or nVidia in the $50-100 range would be more than fine for Photoshop and any acceleration that the CS4 line of apps utilizes.
=====================

Well then I'll stick with the GeForce 8800GT that I already have. Thanks for saving me some dollars!

TemjinGold

Diamond Member
Dec 16, 2006

I'd agree with the lower end video card selections. Let's face it, any card from ATI or nVidia in the $50-100 range would be more than fine for Photoshop and any acceleration that the CS4 line of apps utilizes.
=====================

Well then I'll stick with the GeForce 8800GT that I already have. Thanks for saving me some dollars!

Yes, your 8800GT is already super overkill for what you are doing. The only reason to swap it out is if noise/power draw bugs you, in which case you should swap it for a weaker card.

bryanW1995

Lifer
May 22, 2007
Originally posted by: TemjinGold

=====================

Yes, your 8800GT is already super overkill for what you are doing. The only reason to swap it out is if noise/power draw bugs you, in which case you should swap it for a weaker card.

+1

Keysplayr

Elite Member
Jan 16, 2003
Originally posted by: ChrisAttebery

I did put more RAM in it - 8G total and it is using triple channel. Of course, XP32 isn't but I am going to use Windows7-64 later this wk.

RE the Nvidia cards - I'm confused about the model numbering system. There are now 210 and 220 & such cards but the one I'm replacing is a GeForce 8800GT with factory overclock.

I was wondering if you could tell me why the new numbering system is different? Has the GeForce series run it's course now, and they are starting with a new series?

Thanks for all your help guys & girls.

I'd say G210/220 would be fine. One question though. How did you arrive at 8GB total system memory using triple channel?

Keysplayr

Elite Member
Jan 16, 2003
Originally posted by: Borealis7
2+2+4 maybe...

2^3 = 8 ? :)

it isnt right anyway, must be a typo

I was thinking of the different configs for DDR3.

2x2x2x2x2x2 =12
1x1x1x2x2x2 = 9
1x1x1x1x1x1 = 6
1x1x1 = 3
2x2x2 = 6
2x2x2x512x512x512 = 7.5

AFAIK, all memory sizes in a given channel has to be the same capacity. 1x1x1, 2x2x2, 4x4x4.

It doesn't matter. Just thinking out loud.