Question Video Graphics Assistance/ Need Video Card

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

synoptic12

Dec 1, 2012
www.youtube.com
Seeking assistance relating to the purchase of a compatible graphics card. Currently have a HP Pavilion HP 6370t CTO with MS-7613 (Iona-GL8E) motherboard > American Megatrends Inc 5.15, 6/25/2010 > Processor Intel ® Core i5 CPU 650 @ 3.20GHZ, 2 Core(s), 4 Logical. Current video graphics Nvidia GT220 (OEM).

I am seeking some information regarding the purchase of a video card that I need. I currently have a GT220 Nvidia but it needs replacement. Contacted EVGA as the tech said the graphics card would be contingent upon the (UEFI). He said it may or may not work. My PC is going on ten years (HP Pavilion- P6370t). The motherboard is MS-7613 (Iona-GL8E). I am trying to acquire information as to whether this board supports UEFI. What graphics cards can I use. Bios Version/ Date: American Megatrends Inc 5.15, 6/25/2010. All replies are very much appreciated. I am in need of a graphics card.

Have received much controversy in varying opinions, different techs state different things. Looking for a PCIe 2.0 x16 Single socket. All information or assistance is very much appreciated.

synoptic12

Dec 1, 2012
www.youtube.com
Quick! Delete it! NVidia Web Helper... is Gonna Hax0r your Gibs0n!

* I called NVIDIA and they said 'Do not delete it", it is used for drivers.

*** > "NVIDIA" Webhelper" 'Disappeared' after Uninstalling GeForce Experience. I installed the drivers "custom" from NVIDIA AND did not check the GeForce Experience 'BOX', yet it was downloaded. However being downloaded, it still had to be installed, which I never did. Can any provide insight here. Thanks.

Last edited:

synoptic12

Dec 1, 2012
www.youtube.com
Supplementary:
My Windows Experience Dropped After Installing GT 620 Graphics. Then after uninstalling GeForce Experience, the index was upped again, but not to what it was originally (5.9).
Chart Below as to what changed:
WINDOWS_EXPERIENCE_NUMBERS.jpg

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
*shrug*. I did offer you a 2GB GDDR5 GT730 card, for twice the price. It would have had twice the performance, too.

Edit: You did say "no gaming", so I'm not really sure why you're concerned. Either card is just fine for desktop usage.

Last edited:

synoptic12

Dec 1, 2012
www.youtube.com
*shrug*. I did offer you a 2GB GDDR5 GT730 card, for twice the price. It would have had twice the performance, too.

Edit: You did say "no gaming", so I'm not really sure why you're concerned. Either card is just fine for desktop usage.

* I like the GT 620, as the card is performing extremely well. I was just checking the technical aspects such as the IRQ. and the 2.0 x 16 that is not listed in the Help section of NVIDIA control panel. If you bring up the device manager, the info is the X 16. In addition, the card did not register upon insertion, rather only displaying the NVIDIA information after the drivers were installed. Irrespective of this, I am pleased with the performance of the card. I would have preferred the 128 bit, such that my OEM NVIDIA was. Not really an issue to me. The colors are good as I've used 'full editing' over limited. A touch of a difference, I believe.

* Does this make sense, 'After uninstalling GeForce Experience it does appear that the speed has increased, along with better rendering. The GT 620 is extremely quiet, just what I was seeking. "Do not" wish to have DDR5 for there is no reason for it. My system supports DDR3. The 630 I would have liked to try, especially with the 128 bit memory bandwidth. I believe lower watts and a faster clock, everything else the same. The GT 620 works, so I'm not complaining.

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
... yeah, that was a joke about the web helper thing.

I have no idea what it is, just some quirk about the older Nvidia drivers and their (web-based?) old-school control panel that they still use.

Anyways, as you've surmised, the reason (at least, I think so), for the lower Windows Aero WEI score, is likely due to the 64-bit DDR3 on the GT 620, rather than the 128-bit DDR3 or GDDR3 on the GT 220. Windows Aero depends on compositing a bunch of Windows (layers), and that can be a bit dependent on VRAM memory bandwidth on your card. Not that I expect even a 4.3 score to a "slow", should still get moderately fast Windows' re-draws and scrolling and stuff.

Btw, even if your base motherboard platform uses DDR3, you can use a video card that uses GDDR5 for it's onboard VRAM, it will still be faster. Basically, the VRAM your video card uses, and the system DRAM that your motherboard uses, are independent of each other.

synoptic12

Dec 1, 2012
www.youtube.com
... yeah, that was a joke about the web helper thing.

I have no idea what it is, just some quirk about the older Nvidia drivers and their (web-based?) old-school control panel that they still use.

Anyways, as you've surmised, the reason (at least, I think so), for the lower Windows Aero WEI score, is likely due to the 64-bit DDR3 on the GT 620, rather than the 128-bit DDR3 or GDDR3 on the GT 220. Windows Aero depends on compositing a bunch of Windows (layers), and that can be a bit dependent on VRAM memory bandwidth on your card. Not that I expect even a 4.3 score to a "slow", should still get moderately fast Windows' re-draws and scrolling and stuff.

Btw, even if your base motherboard platform uses DDR3, you can use a video card that uses GDDR5 for it's onboard VRAM, it will still be faster. Basically, the VRAM your video card uses, and the system DRAM that your motherboard uses, are independent of each other.

* Thanks much for the info. Exactly what I were thinking as to the 64 bit as opposed to the 128 bit (Aero). I wasn't sure about the DDR5 being independent, so I learn each day. No issues, excellent graphics card.

Arkaign

Lifer
Oct 27, 2006
WEI is a bit arbitrary, which is why it was discontinued.

If you want a dead easy benchmark for your PC and graphics, run the one from userbenchmark.com, or another small one for testing is Furmark. Forget the percentages, just look at the actual performance data for each category.

As a bonus, userbenchmark.com will give you a quick overall look at system performance at all levels, and makes it easier to spot if you have a particular component that is underperforming compared to the average for that exact part.

synoptic12

Dec 1, 2012
www.youtube.com
How many NVIDIA Drivers do I really need? Can I uninstall (1.) 3D Vision Controller Driver and (2.) 3D Vision Driver? The majority say one can do so safely, further adding 3D has been dead since 2013. A few claim the drivers are adjoined or connected to the graphics drivers. In accompaniment, are the PhysX System software needed? I have not a clue what these programs are for.

* I’ve always employed or installed the 3D drivers and never had any issues for nine years. In terms of using the 3D drivers: never. Do the 3D drivers serve a purpose, other than 3D. I’m unsure if the 3D drivers are bundled in a container with the graphics drivers. All input here is appreciated.

synoptic12

Dec 1, 2012
www.youtube.com
LOLWHAT? Military grade? Your old GT220 was an HP OEM part. PCB/component-wise, I don't see any significant differences in quality. Are you referring to the copper-finned cooler on the GT220? That was an older, hotter-running chip, and required better cooling.

Better believe that if it were truly "Military Grade", that it wouldn't have failed so soon.
Nine, almost ten years is a long time.
* In FACT they are Military Grade > After INSPECTION Meets MIL-STD-810G standard to ensure the best stability and quality, and adopts all solid CAP and SFC.
Personally, I prefer Tesla over Fermi and more so than Kepler.

* By the way, I did flash the Bios around 2011 or 2012, long time ago. I do not believe that I could update. And, only the fan failed on the GT 220; raceway good, caps good, and transistors and diodes fine. May try to acquire a fan if I can find one compatible. HP did yeomen's work in the Bios update; relating to the "FAN".

HP P6370t CTO- MS-7613 Motherboard Bios Update-JPG.jpg

Last edited:

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
I don't see the correlation at all. The BIOS update is talking about the processor fan, what failed on you was the GPU fan. Again, unrelated completely. You seem to often conflate totally unrelated things, like the type of system RAM versus the type video card's VRAM.

synoptic12

Dec 1, 2012
www.youtube.com
I don't see the correlation at all. The BIOS update is talking about the processor fan, what failed on you was the GPU fan. Again, unrelated completely. You seem to often conflate totally unrelated things, like the type of system RAM versus the type video card's VRAM.

* There's room for debate on heat effecting GPU from Mobo, irrespective of what any may state. You only responded on half of the synopsis, not speaking of the military board.