Question Video Card Install Procedure - Am I missing something basic?

PrinceXizor

Platinum Member
Oct 4, 2002
So I just purchased an RX580 from a fine AT member. I can't get the card to be recognized by my motherboard. It won't even output basic signal to view the Bios from the HDMI nor DVI after installation. Am I missing something? I haven't installed a new graphics cards since the 9500 Pro. I'm currently running just integrated graphics. So, it's quite possible I'm missing something simple. Anywho, here are my steps. System is ASRock Z77 Pro4 with i5-3750K, 2 x 8GB DDR 1600, 250GB Samsung 840, 1TB MX500, 2TB spinner. PSU upgraded to Corsair CX650F.

1. Power down computer.
2. Open Chassis
3. Install RX580 in PCIe3 slot (which is slot two on the motherboard for those playing at home).
4. Check to ensure its fully seated.
5. Install 8 pin power connector from PSU. (I'm using the designated PCIe cable that ends in a 6+2 configuration and has a couple other connectors (unused). I do have an additional straight 8 pin connector that is identical to the ATX 8 pin to the motherboard)
6. Plug monitor 1 into RX580 via DVI. Plug monitor 2 into RX580 via HDMI.
7. Power on to test.
8. Enter BIOS setup on startup.
9. Select PCIe for video source.

So, at this point, the UEFI BIOS has a "System Browser" that highlights the active connections on the motherboard. It highlights and reports the CPU, RAM, WiFi card, and all 3 ports connected to the 3 hard drives. It does NOT show anything installed in the PCIe slot.

Save settings and exit...
Nothing...
Nada...
I hear HDs activate, it SOUNDS like its booting up. No video though.

Remove the RX580 and everything boots just fine with monitors connected to the motherboard.

You can find some reports of people having trouble with RX580s being recognized on some boards from this era. But, usually that had to do with running it in a PCIe gen 2 slot. This slot is PCIe3. Thoughts? What am I missing?

Gideon

Golden Member
Nov 27, 2007
Do you have the latest BIOS installed?

This did a trick to my friend once, when he installed a RX 470 in an old board

PrinceXizor

Platinum Member
Oct 4, 2002
I thought I did when I started. I've since reset the the BIOS with jumper + battery removal as troubleshooting. I'll have to verify BIOS when I get home today (I guess that should change the settings, not the BIOS itself w/o flashing right?)
The other thing I thought of, even though its an iGPU, do I still need to uninstall all drivers before installing the RX580?

dr1337

May 25, 2020
The other thing I thought of, even though its an iGPU, do I still need to uninstall all drivers before installing the RX580?
Shouldn't really make any difference, and especially wouldn't affect getting video output while in bios/bios not even recognizing it.

This is quite a stretch but maybe if you don't actually have a monitor plugged into the GPU an older/buggier bios might get stupid and ignore the pcie gpu, though tbh it should still recognize it as plugged in.

PrinceXizor

Platinum Member
Oct 4, 2002
I tried moving all of the cables around and didn't get anything. Its fairly unlikely that the card is bad. Open box but had all the rubber connectors/covers and everything. I've read a few places where even for an iGPU I would need to run DDU ahead of time. I have the latest RX580 drivers downloaded and ready to install once I get booted up.

PrinceXizor

Platinum Member
Oct 4, 2002
Newer AMD card needs CSM or UEFI to boot.
Care to elaborate a bit more? Do you mean in the BIOS setup I have to change it FROM legacy mode? Many of the threads last night seemed to imply the opposite (though it was late and I was troubleshooting multiple issues).

Leeea

Diamond Member
Apr 3, 2020
I thought I did when I started. I've since reset the the BIOS with jumper + battery removal as troubleshooting. I'll have to verify BIOS when I get home today (I guess that should change the settings, not the BIOS itself w/o flashing right?)

I have an AsRock H97M-ITX/ac ( 2014 board ) and it happily runs the iGPU and dedicated video card at the same time ( rx580 and now vega56 ). It had no issues recognizing either. I put my second monitor on the iGPU.

There is a BIOS update for your board dated 2018-5-30.

Also, be aware the rx580 is the 3rd most popular GPU for your board:
With an installation base of >500,000 this is a compatible configuration :).

Last edited:

Geranium

Apr 22, 2020
Care to elaborate a bit more? Do you mean in the BIOS setup I have to change it FROM legacy mode? Many of the threads last night seemed to imply the opposite (though it was late and I was troubleshooting multiple issues).
Yes, either change it to CSM or UEFI. Newer AMD gpu dont support Legacy BIOS.
If that is the problem then it will solve it. Also disable the iGPU in the BIOS/UEFI.

PrinceXizor

Platinum Member
Oct 4, 2002
I have an AsRock H97M-ITX/ac ( 2014 board ) and it happily runs the iGPU and dedicated video card at the same time ( rx580 and now vega56 ). It had no issues recognizing either. I put my second monitor on the iGPU.

There is a BIOS update for your board dated 2018-5-30.

Also, be aware the rx580 is the 3rd most popular GPU for your board:
With an installation base of >500,000 this is a compatible configuration :).
Thanks, that is info I was looking for to make sure that wasn't an issue. Thanks! To clarify... I'm glad this combo works. Now i know there is a solution to be found.

Last edited:

Leeea

Diamond Member
Apr 3, 2020
Yes, either change it to CSM or UEFI. Newer AMD gpu dont support Legacy BIOS.
If that is the problem then it will solve it. Also disable the iGPU in the BIOS/UEFI.

I am running mine in legacy BIOS mode to this day. Both the rx580 and the vega56 had no issues with it.

I think it is complicated. It seems likely AMD cards do not support legacy BIOS on every mainboard, but the two cards I had certainly supported it on mine. Or perhaps it was my mainboard legacy BIOS mode supported newer cards.

Last edited:
Reactions: blckgrffn

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
If you haven't tried it yet, set the BIOS to UEFI mode; that might be exactly your problem.

Reactions: Leeea

PrinceXizor

Platinum Member
Oct 4, 2002
Thanks blckgrffn! A little googling helped me out. I had to manually set the mode to Full RGB. Once I did that, text crisped up. I also had to manually set 60Hz mode in Windows.

PrinceXizor

Platinum Member
Oct 4, 2002
Everything is still working well. Getting the Full 4:4:4 mode on made a huge difference in the text clarity. I still have to rerun cleartype calibration with full 4:4:4 on but it's already great. I did read somewhere on the internet that a possibility with these cheaper VA panels with BGR subpixel layout is to actually mount it upside down or on a VESA mount that can rotate 180. Then BGR becomes RGB. I don't know if that's actually how Windows would work it but it's something to consider. Text is clear enough already I don't think I'll even be concerned.

One other suggestion for those going to the 4K TV as monitor plan. Check out the Power Toys utility on GitHub. Specifically the Fancy Zones part for easy snapping of windows in 2 x 2 grid or whatever setup your wish. Super slick.

Spjut

Apr 9, 2011
I am running mine in legacy BIOS mode to this day. Both the rx580 and the vega56 had no issues with it.

I think it is complicated. It seems likely AMD cards do not support legacy BIOS on every mainboard, but the two cards I had certainly supported it on mine. Or perhaps it was my mainboard legacy BIOS mode supported newer cards.

Yeah, I've also had new cards with UEFI running on older motherboards with the traditional BIOS. Video cards with UEFI aren't supposed to make away with support , the way it's supposed to be is they'll recognize when either in a UEFI or Legacy board and automatically switch over.

Most issues I've seen regarding this are related to LGA 1155, and often it's solved with a BIOS update, so perhaps it's a bug in the early UEFI versions for these motherboards and it didn't get known before the cards were available. I've also seen some of the hybrid UEFI motherboards, for example some LGA 1156, have issues with this.
In that case, with pre-builts that don't have BIOS updates available, a "fix" have been to indeed enable Legacy BIOS if possible.

An old video card wouldn't work on a UEFI motherboard however if the option for Legacy BIOS is removed.

Reactions: Leeea