Verizon makes the Droid DNA official.

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Feb 19, 2001
And people rip a single full non transcoded bluray to their 32-64GB 480p-720p phones and have to remove everything else for a single movie? Get real.

Pixel density will be nice for browser realestate, but you can still watch the same 1GB rips everyone else has made due with all along before thus device came out.

i don't watch movies, but recording 1080p video takes up plenty of space. just as much as those 1080p blu ray rips.

and sorry why would i make a 1gb rip if I intend to store a high quality 13gb rip on my computer or NAS?

Mopetar

Diamond Member
Jan 31, 2011
Nice phone. The only downside for me is the size. If they can make a screen like that, they can easily make a 4"-4.3" screen that's 1280x768 or 1280x800. Doesn't need to be quad-core or anything fancy like that either.

sjwaste

Diamond Member
Aug 2, 2000
Nice specs, but it looks like a Verizon exclusive, so don't expect much community support or software updates. Should I just assume a locked bootloader?

Brian Stirling

Diamond Member
Feb 7, 2010
2020mAHr battery = probable deal breaker!

16GB storage with no uSD = definite deal breaker!

2020mAHr battery AND only 16GB storage = HTC go to hell...

Brian

Face2Face

Diamond Member
Jun 6, 2001
There is a user over at the Droid-life forums that is a part of the HTC Focus group. This is what he says about the battery after using the phone for 3 days.

"The battery life is great. I am looking at my phone right now. Being unplugged 8 hours ago and its over 50% still and thats with facebooking, enjoying the new camera, and everything for long period of time during my college classes"

"I had the incredible 2 and incredible 4g before and they would always die on my around 5-6pm. So far this phone has lasted until i head to bed at 11pm"

https://www.facebook.com/photo...

There it is. Had it since saturday.

And above average use is a bored/busy college student who is always answering emails, facebooking, running twitter, playing games, listening to music etc.

I ran the device from 7am to 11pm.

So hopefully the battery life is good? I am going to be getting this phone either way, my Samsung Fascinate is struggling...

http://www.droid-life.com/2012/11/13/htc-droid-dna-hands-on-and-first-look/

Last edited:

exdeath

Lifer
Jan 29, 2004
http://reviews.cnet.com/smartphones/htc-droid-dna-verizon/4505-6452_7-35536642-2.html

I was surprised by the HTC Droid DNA’s battery performance, as well. Despite the phone’s large screen and swift performance, the handset’s embedded 2,020mAh battery lasted for a long 8 hours and 43 minutes on the CNET Labs video battery drain test. By comparison, the Samsung Galaxy S III offered an even longer 9 hours and 24 minutes on the same benchmark

Battery life would appear to be on par with the competition from early reviews. This is 9 hours of "screen on" video playback?

Won't lie, I was hoping for 2500-3000 mAh battery and 32+ GB internal and/or SD card just for the sake of perfection. But given my current Droid X memory (5GB of 8GB internal free, 14GB of 16GB SD free), it's not a factor for me, and if the battery is as good as initial reports claim, it looks like a winner for my intended use.

Now I've not bought a new phone since the Droid X launch. I still have unlimited data and I'm month to month. Is it possible to pay full price for a new phone and join it to an existing unlimited plan? Or are you pretty much forced to dump unlimited when going from 3g to 4g?

I keep going back and forth, that even with unlimited I rarely use over 1-1.2 GB a month anyway, so a 2-4GB plan would be fine by me, but then again with 4G and free tethering I might find myself using it more, not to mention streaming more if the 16GB does become a limit for me in the future, so I don't know.

Last edited:

Face2Face

Diamond Member
Jun 6, 2001
I am in the same situation as you. I have unlimited data but use less than 2GB per month. Im going to drop it and save some money sharing a 4GB plan with my wife. If I ever go on a long trip without wifi then I will up my data for that month, the bring it back down to 4GB. Makes no sense to keep unlimted and pay more for it just so you have for thr once or twice yoy may like to have it. Wifi is everywhere for me.. Also you can keep unlimted if you pay full price for phone 4g or not..

Posted from Anandtech.com App for Android

exdeath

Lifer
Jan 29, 2004
So I decided to get a DNA while keeping my unlimited plan. Makes the limited storage a non issue.

Red Storm

Lifer
Oct 2, 2005
Hmm... well ya it's the Verge. I used to like them, their reviews as of late are kinda shit. They seem too cocky and rushed for being such a new tech site. Interested to see what Engadget says...... TB has a good write up.

http://www.technobuffalo.com/compan...iew-the-android-phone-youve-been-waiting-for/

Anandtech reviews and Slashgear are probably the best two sites for mobile devices Imo.

That review does not have any kind of battery test. He just says "I got home and it was at 30%, this is great" as if that's supposed to help us...

Face2Face

Diamond Member
Jun 6, 2001
Guess we will have to wait for a more in depth review..?? CNET ran it through their battery test and it wasn't that far behind the S3. They Claim the battery life is good....

Quoted from jomamm on the Verge Forums

Cnet – I was surprised by the HTC Droid DNA’s battery performance, as well. Despite the phone’s large screen and swift performance, the handset’s embedded 2,020mAh battery lasted for a long 8 hours and 43 minutes in the CNET Labs video battery drain test
Phone Arenea – We were desperately hoping for the best with battery life, but alas, it puts out nothing more than average results. Charging its 2,020 mAh battery, we’re able to fly by the 10 hour mark before it’s completely depleted – thus hitting the tally we’re normally accustomed to seeing with most Verizon 4G LTE smartphones.
Laptop Mag – The Droid DNA packs a 2,020 mAh battery that’s not removable, but we saw pretty good endurance given this phone’s huge display. During the LAPTOP Battery Test (continuous Web surfing over 4G LTE on 40 percent brightness), the DNA lasted 6 hours and 29 minutes. That’s a half-hour longer than the 6:01 category average.
So either the Verge got a lemon for a battery or everyone else is lying. Granted this wasn’t rated as a Droid Razr Maxx killer everyone seems to come to the conclusion its on the “average” side of battery life. It’ll get you through the day.

Per The Verge DNA review -

The DNA lasted a meager four hours and 25 minutes in the Verge Battery Test, which cycles through a series of websites and high-res images with the screen at 65 percent brightness. In daily use, it frequently tapped out long before the day was over.

From S3 review:
http://www.theverge.com/2012/7/19/3164699/samsung-galaxy-s-iii-verizon-impressions-benchmarks
Battery life is about average for a high-end smartphone. On the Verge Battery Test, which cycles through a series of websites and high-res images at 65 percent brightness, the Galaxy S III lasted four hours and 12 minutes. The test is particularly taxing for an LTE device since the radio takes its toll on the battery.

Now why does The Verge bash the battery so much on the DNA..?

Like I said, looking foward to Anand's or Ryan's review.

Last edited:

Wingznut

Elite Member
Dec 28, 1999
Ordered a couple last night (for the wife and I), supposed to ship on Monday via Overnight delivery. Can't wait to check it out!

Face2Face

Diamond Member
Jun 6, 2001
I think I am going to camp out overnight to get mine. It's all about the experience.....

Actually, I will swing by on Wed and grab one at the store.

exdeath

Lifer
Jan 29, 2004
I think I am going to camp out overnight to get mine. It's all about the experience.....

Actually, I will swing by on Wed and grab one at the store.

Yeah thats what I did with my X. At the store before opening with like 4 others. One of the only times I've done that and I guess it was a neat experience. Keep in mind I'm not a gadget whore, X was my first experience and now DNA, and even then only because a few months ago I dropped my X hard one too many times and left black spots on the screen.

Same with this one following every rumor and twitter update for 6 months... except I just preordered for home delivery for guaranteed no hassles.

When new phones started to incrementally leave my X behind starting with X2 etc I told myself I won't be envious of minor updates. , let me know when I can get quad core 1080p 5" 4G etc all in one device... I said that 2.5 years ago lol and here we are.

Last edited: