Verizon makes the Droid DNA official.

Discussion in 'Mobile Devices & Gadgets' started by Wingznut, Nov 11, 2012.

1. Wingznut

Wingznut Elite Member

Android Central link

Looks like they are going to announce it at a private event on Tuesday the 13th, and then on Google+ Hangout the following Monday.

I'm going to upgrade all four of my family's phones in the coming weeks. My sons are stuck on Apple products, while my wife and I like Android. I was going back and forth between the GS3 and Razr Maxx HD. But looking at the specs of the J Butterfly (HTC's 5" phone announced in Japan, that the DNA is based on), it's very impressive.

The DNA is expected to have a 1.5 Ghz quad core, 2GB of RAM, 8-megapixel rear camera, and full 1080x1920 resolution (with an eye-popping 440 ppi!) and 4.1 Jelly Bean. As for physical dimensions, it's expected to be 143 x 71 x 9.1. By comparison, a GS3 is 137 x 71 x 8.6. So, it's probably going to be about 6mm longer and .5mm thicker.

The physical dimensions are really what's going to sell it for me. The Note 2 is just a little too large for me.

2. s44

s44 Diamond Member

Given how fast the quad in the Nexus 4 eats power, I'd be concerned that this only packs a 2500mah sealed battery. Particularly given the screen size and resolution.

3. OBLAMA2009

OBLAMA2009 Diamond Member

htc=poor battery life and buggy software. i pretty much discount anything by them

4. exdeath

exdeath Lifer

This will replace my Droid X.

I'll grab an external 9000 mAh battery pack if I have to, this thing is just awesome.

5. stag3

stag3 Diamond Member

wow right on, was waiting for verizon to get a nice HTC phone since they passed on the ONE, damn them. may have to pick this up

6. ImDonly1

ImDonly1 Platinum Member

Except the One X has better battery life than most android phones, Galaxy S3 included. The only 2 phones that have better is the Razor Maxx and iPhone 5.

I am a little worried about that battery with a 1080p screen. Would wait for reviews. Also how would apps look in that screen resolution? It would just look scaled crappy or with black borders?

7. DLeRium

DLeRium Lifer

why does verizon always pass on large phone launches and get stupid exclusives? HTC needs to stop bending over backwards for them. I wish the phone manufacturers would rally and say you take the HTC One S/X, SGS3, etc. and that's it. No special US models. Nothing else. You either jump on our global product portfolio or you can go back to the pre touchscreen smartphone days where the US was in the stone age in cell phones.

8. exdeath

exdeath Lifer

Because they are the greediest most power tripping nickel and diming services providers out there. Of course they are going to salivate over vendor lock in and exclusives.

It sucks that they have the best network and can get away with it.

At least the FCC kicked them in the balls about double dipping on tether charges lulz.

9. podspi

podspi Golden Member

Now they advertise it as a 'new feature'. free tethering included! We're lucky they're so generous :cool:

10. Aikouka

Aikouka Lifer

To note, the only reason the FCC called them out on the tethering charges is because it's against the contract of the spectrum sale that they're using to implement LTE.

11. DisgruntledVirus

Not to mention it only applied to non-grandfathered data plans....

12. KeithP

KeithP Diamond Member

http://www.androidcentral.com/verizon-and-htc-officially-announce-droid-dna

The 2020mAh embedded battery is a bit of a concern but I think I this will be my next phone.

-KeithP

13. s44

s44 Diamond Member

o_O
    o_O
    o_O
    o_O
    o_O
    W... t... f

14. stag3

stag3 Diamond Member

wow that battery is not gonna last long

15. dlock13

dlock13 Platinum Member

HTC is notorious with terrible battery life, and I really hope they figured something amazing out with this phone**

I'm not sure how I feel about it** Everything about it is awesome (save for no stylus and a measly 11 GB usable storage)**

16. you2

you2 Diamond Member

Bleh** Large phone with a fixed small battery** Just like the nexus 4; double bleh**

17. Piano Man

Piano Man Diamond Member

The no microsd I could excuse if it had 32/64GB Memory, but 16GB (11 usable) on a 1080p device? WTF

18. exdeath

exdeath Lifer

Concerned about space until I looked at my Droid X: 5GB of 8 GB internal free, 12 GB or of 16GB free on the SD card** Then again the features of this phone may press me to do more with it and store more** I wonder if this is a Verizon thing to get people to stream data to/from online sources instead of local so they can generate data revenue******

Battery seems small but my heaviest use is sitting at a desk or in my car so well see******

19. exdeath

exdeath Lifer

Has to be a planned obsolescence strategy, I can see 32 and 64 GB versions arriving soon** At any rate, its still better then what it's replacing for me (Droid X)

20. darkewaffle

darkewaffle Diamond Member

I like the aesthetics of it, but talk about overkill**

21. Dari

Dari Lifer

are you guys sure it does not have a microSD? Has anyone opened the back to confirm? Also, it has a micro-sim slot. Does that mean it'll work with T-Mobile?

22. Wingznut

Wingznut Elite Member

Yes, it is confirmed to not have a microSD slot.

23. lothar

lothar Diamond Member

People claim the Nexus 4 has shit battery life.
    This phone will be worse.

24. gar655

gar655 Senior member

Yep. You'll be able to watch all of the first 30 minutes of the blu-ray you ripped at 1080p.

Awesome!

25. exdeath

exdeath Lifer

And people rip a single full non transcoded bluray to their 32-64GB 480p-720p phones and have to remove everything else for a single movie? Get real.

Pixel density will be nice for browser realestate, but you can still watch the same 1GB rips everyone else has made due with all along before thus device came out.

#25 exdeath, Nov 13, 2012
    Last edited: Nov 13, 2012