vegetarians vs meat eaters ...

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

IronWing

No Lifer
Jul 20, 2001
I guess I would find the idea that vegetarianism was healthier than omnivore-ism more credible if I knew more healthy looking vegetarians. Most of the vegetarians I have encountered in the real world are scrawny, pasty, and look like late stage cancer victims. A few have been healthy looking but very few.

lxskllr

No Lifer
Nov 30, 2004
I guess I would find the idea that vegetarianism was healthier than omnivore-ism more credible if I knew more healthy looking vegetarians. Most of the vegetarians I have encountered in the real world are scrawny, pasty, and look like late stage cancer victims. A few have been healthy looking but very few.

The problem is omnivores tend to have a wider range of people types. Vegetarians are going to have a higher percentage of the smoke weed, never leave the house types.

DrPizza

Administrator Elite Member Goat Whisperer
Mar 5, 2001
www.slatebrookfarm.com
I'd like to know if studies that compare vegetarian diets (and demonstrate that they're healthier) are compared to everyone else (which would include a great deal of obese people who have very poor diets) or if they're just compared to omnivorous diets that are balanced. I tend to believe it's the former group.

InflatableBuddha

Diamond Member
Jul 5, 2007
Geez, a lot of ignorance in this thread:

I always find it funny about these veggie people that still eat fish. I tell them that you're still eating meat and that they're fake a vegetarian.

Pescetarianism. Fish and seafood are healthy foods (as long as you avoid species with high mercury concentrations). Good sources for protein and omega fatty acids, and less fat and nitrates than other meat. Perfectly legitimate.

It's like the people that use eggs in vegetarian dishes...

Still meat no matter what they say.

Lacto-ovo vegetarianism. Also legitimate.

InflatableBuddha

Diamond Member
Jul 5, 2007
That always bothers me too, same with the Catholics. Land and air meat are verboten, but water meat is fine. Kind of a strange distinction. When I was "vegetarian", I preferred the term "meat reduced diet", but that doesn't have quite the same flow.

This is how I eat. It's called flexitarianism.

bfdd

Lifer
Feb 3, 2007
These different diets are retarded when people let it become their life style.

zerocool84

Lifer
Nov 11, 2004

Pescetarianism. Fish and seafood are healthy foods (as long as you avoid species with high mercury concentrations). Good sources for protein and omega fatty acids, and less fat and nitrates than other meat. Perfectly legitimate.

I know what pescetarianism is. It's different than vegeterian. Not even the same thing. Like I said, vegetarians eat fish or eggs and claim they are vegetarians which they obviously are not. I see no ignorance in this thread at all. If they are something else then they are something else. If they are vegetarian then they are vegetarian. It's not my fault they don't know the other terms.

busydude

Diamond Member
Feb 5, 2010
Being a vegetarian in the US is a nightmare. Food doesn't taste good, leaves a bad taste in your mouth. I am lucky cos am a vegetarian and I have great food everyday.

Technically I am a lacto-vegetarian and Lacto-vegetarian in US = Vegetarian in India.

WelshBloke

Lifer
Jan 12, 2005
I always find it funny about these veggie people that still eat fish. I tell them that you're still eating meat and that they're fake a vegetarian.

Yeah its like those meat eaters that get all funny when I serve them dog, its just meat.

theflyingpig

Banned
Mar 9, 2008
I didn't even bother to read the OP. Vegetarians are fools, and would never be able to survive outside of modern society. Vegetarianism is the direct result of human stupidity. Everyone knows this.

PingSpike

Lifer
Feb 25, 2004

I think the point is when you say you're a vegetarian except I also eat some kinds of meat, you're really just some one that doesn't like to eat a lot of meat. And that's fine, but lets not pretend you're doing it because you think eating animals is morally wrong when you're biting into a fish. Just say you don't like red meat or poultry.

PingSpike

Lifer
Feb 25, 2004
I never seen a fat vegetarian. Must be good.

I don't think I met a thin vegetarian until late college...unless you count that girl in high school who claimed to be a vegetarian but had to eat chicken nuggets because she really needed the meat. LOL. Again, not a vegetarian...just didn't like to eat much meat.

Last edited:

pmv

Lifer
May 30, 2008
The health arguments are nonsense. Whether you are a meat eater or a vegetarian it takes effort to eat healthily. Either way you can have any two of 'tasty' 'healthy' or 'convenient' but not all three.

If you are veggie you have to be careful not to end up eating loads of (high fat) cheese, or (if vegan) you have to be careful to get all the trace nutrients, iron, omega, vitamins etc. If you are a meat-eater you have to be careful not to overdo the red meat and remember to eat lots of veg as well!

The argument for vegetarianism is a moral one, not a health one. Also the environmental argument is quite strong (producing meat takes a lot more resources than producing non-meat food).

It annoys me the way people like PETA will tell lies about the health risks of meat or milk etc. They should just stick to the moral argument (and let people make up their own minds on that basis). Exaggerating the health issues just loses them credibility.

Having said all that, I'm not a veggie, I've tried and failed several times.

pmv

Lifer
May 30, 2008
You've obviously never had good dog. I went to Korea Town the other day and ate some good dog kebab.

My argument against dog is simply that dogs are carnivores and it seems inherently riskier to eat carnivores than herbivores. Look at how mad-cow disease got started.

Kirby

Lifer
Apr 10, 2006
My argument against dog is simply that dogs are carnivores and it seems inherently riskier to eat carnivores than herbivores. Look at how mad-cow disease got started.

I thought MCD got started my farmers feeding the cows meal with cow parts in it. Also the fact that they are naturally herbivores.

Anyway, here's some dog meat. My friend's mom cooked it while I was in Korea. It's pretty good.

http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos..._807305261895_27429567_44874318_7330271_n.jpg

surfsatwerk

Lifer
Mar 6, 2008

I tried to stop the cows from having sex with them there african monkeys, but they wouldn't listen.