vegetarians vs meat eaters ...

Sep 29, 2004
It might just be me, but do you know how vegetarians sometimes talk about the health benefits of being vegetarians? Apparently there alot of studies on this. Heck, it is probably even true that vegetarians are better off.

For example: red meat => colon cancer
http://www.webmd.com/food-recipes/news/20050111/red-meat-eaters-risk-colon-cancer

I really don't care about this stuff though. I am a meat eater. I enjoy life and have already accepted the notion that I will die one day.

So, are there any studies discussing the health benefits of eating meat? Beef, chicken, fish, whatever?

I usually say something along the lines of "I can eat bacon" as a joke. In part because I really don't care. eating is a big part of life. 10% of your waking hours maybe. So, why sacrifice that 10% to live 5% longer?

EXAMPLE OF VEGETARIAN MENTALLITY THAT I WANT TO COUNTER (fro ma yahoo forum):
and judgments people make about vegetarians. And unfortunately, even medical doctors, dieticians, and nutritionists are grossly misinformed when it comes to vegetarianism.

Yes, vegetarians get enough protein. Easily.
Yes, infants, children, adolescents, teens, and pregnant and nursing women can thrive on well-planned vegetarian diets.
Yes, there are pale, sickly looking vegetarians. But there are also pale, sickly looking omnivores. A well-planned diet is everything, whether you’re a vegetarian or meat-eater.
Yes, men can have muscles and still be vegetarian. (Case in point: Bill Pearl, a four-time Mr. Universe.)
Yes, men can still participate in sports, even at a professional level, as vegetarians. (Ever hear of Carl Lewis, Jerry Stackhouse, Prince Fielder, Tony Gonzalez, or Mac Danzig?)
No, men don’t grow boobs if they become vegetarian.

Vegetarians have reduced risks of obesity, heart disease, diabetes, and cancer! As far as diets go, adopting a vegetarian lifestyle is the best thing you can do for yourself.

Last edited:

Kirby

Lifer
Apr 10, 2006
probably not, excluding an easily accessible protein source. i'm assuming it's going to kill me one day, so i don't worry about it.

i've met a few vegans and vegetarians in the last couple of months, and they're not all as douchey as i originally thought. we grilled out one night, and no one threw red paint on me or called me a murderer when i put big thick bone-in ribeye on the grill.

Sep 29, 2004
I found something dogmatic .... basically said that the typical vegetarian is no more better off than the typcial non vegetarian. What is important is proper diet.

magomago

Lifer
Sep 28, 2002
I've read that vegetarians have better tasting semen. Of course, I have no first hand experience. I also do not know if it is true.

Sep 29, 2004
RocksteadyDotNet,
is that a joke or is there a study supporting this?

nkgreen,
Vegetarians are typically OK. Some do have some quirks though. Like grilling. I have to use a special spatula for my sister in law. As though a srip from a hamburger matters. And dare I call her burger a "vegetarian hamburger" instead of a veggie burger! And one time at a restaurant we had to delay ordering while the waitress went to check what to see if there was a dedicated fryer for vegetarians that didn't get used for meat. Minor quirks but kind of annoying. It's like dealing with a 5 year old that won't eat their vegetables sometimes.

MJinZ

Diamond Member
Nov 4, 2009
I've read that vegetarians have better tasting semen. Of course, I have no first hand experience. I also do not know if it is true.

Better question is - why would you want to taste a vegetarian man's semen...

Sep 29, 2004
Benefits:
The phosphorus content present in meat gets much more easily absorbed than that present in cereals and legumes. This is owing to the fact that cereals and legumes contain phosphorus, usually in the form of phytic acid that must be hydrolyzed before absorption. Meat also serves as the main source for the intake of vitamin B12.

EDIT: Holy crap, phosphorus is pretty damned important:
In addition to food and water, your body needs certain vitamins and minerals to survive. Calcium and phosphorus are two of the most important minerals in the human body, working together to build strong bones and teeth. Phosphorus makes up about 1 percent of total body weight, so if you weigh 150 pounds you have a pound and a half of phosphorus in your body. Most of the phosphorus in your body (about 85 percent) is in your bones and teeth, where it combines with calcium to make bones hard and strong. The rest is in your cells and other tissues. In the kidneys, phosphorus is important in filtering out wastes. It also helps maintain the acid-base (pH) balance in your blood. Phosphorus controls the flow of energy in your body and helps reduce muscle pain after a hard workout. Your body needs phosphorus for the growth, maintenance, and repair of all your tissues and cells, and for the production of DNA and RNA. You also need phosphorus to make use of other vitamins and minerals, including vitamin D, calcium, iodine, magnesium, and zinc.

Last edited:

Kirby

Lifer
Apr 10, 2006
nkgreen,
Vegetarians are typically OK. Some do have some quirks though. Like grilling. I have to use a special spatula for my sister in law. As though a srip from a hamburger matters. And dare I call her burger a "vegetarian hamburger" instead of a veggie burger! And one time at a restaurant we had to delay ordering while the waitress went to check what to see if there was a dedicated fryer for vegetarians that didn't get used for meat. Minor quirks but kind of annoying. It's like dealing with a 5 year old that won't eat their vegetables sometimes.

Yeah, I was pleasantly surprised. Their only request was to cook their food first, which wasn't a problem.

And apparently they're easy to please when it comes to veget/vegan food. I made some vegan cookies for them, which I thought tasted like a horrible chemical shit, but they all loved it. :awe:

xj0hnx

Diamond Member
Dec 18, 2007
the typical vegetarian is no more better off than the typcial non vegetarian. What is important is proper diet.

/thread

You can be perfectly healthy, or disastrously unhealthy whether you are a vegetarian, vegan, or omnivore, it's all about diet, no one gets out of life alive.

ahenkel

Diamond Member
Jan 11, 2009
/thread

You can be perfectly healthy, or disastrously unhealthy whether you are a vegetarian, vegan, or omnivore, it's all about diet, no one gets out of life alive.

On that note I have friend who's a vegetarian and his diet consists of bean burritos and cheese pizza.

Sep 29, 2004
Bogalusa Heart Study

Wow .... so if you have kids, you better give them meat. Children that don't eat meat are more prone to heart disease in adulthood. So, there is the counter to the colon cancer baloney. Granted, this supports not being a vegetarian till in adulthood.

killster1

Banned
Mar 15, 2007
just dont eat hotdogs, i know few vegetarians that eventually eat a steak now and then, found it to hard to get proper protein and love the taste heh, hot dogs are really the worst meat for you (besides maybe bacon) just because of the preservs they put in them (and fact they are all the bad parts of animals hehe) i agree meat eaters will prov live longer depending on the diet like everyone else says.

bfdd

Lifer
Feb 3, 2007
I know and have known a lot of vegans and vegetarians. For the most part most are chill, but some just go overboard. I like to consider myself a vagitarian.

rasczak

Lifer
Jan 29, 2005
at the end of the world, when the last plant dies, vegetarians have nothing left to eat. meat-eaters laugh because they are not opposed to cannibalism. ;)

Blackjack200

Lifer
May 28, 2007
just dont eat hotdogs, i know few vegetarians that eventually eat a steak now and then, found it to hard to get proper protein and love the taste heh, hot dogs are really the worst meat for you (besides maybe bacon) just because of the preservs they put in them (and fact they are all the bad parts of animals hehe) i agree meat eaters will prov live longer depending on the diet like everyone else says.

lolwut?

Hot dogs are bad for you because they have a ton of fat compared to a steak. Preservatives have nothing to do with it.

lxskllr

No Lifer
Nov 30, 2004
lolwut?

Hot dogs are bad for you because they have a ton of fat compared to a steak. Preservatives have nothing to do with it.

Hotdogs are bad because they're made with assholes, lips, and all the other crap they couldn't put in real meat products. They can also collect more bacteria from processing due to the larger surface area of the components(same as ground beef). Probably more importantly, they use nitra(i)tes in the processing, as do other processed meats, and it isn't that good for you.

I used to be vegetarian, but it's a PITA to make vegetarian food that tastes good. Any retard can cook up meat that tastes fine, but once you get away from the basics, you either work your ass of, or get bored with vegetarian food.

JJChicken

Diamond Member
Apr 9, 2007
It's all about balance. Both vegetables and meat taste good, its all about the preparation. If you can cook well, you can put up great tasting meals that are healthy (i.e. reasonable fat, spices, sugar, etc).

Newbian

Lifer
Aug 24, 2008
Who cares...meat is delicious and I will eat it because of that fact alone.

If humans tasted as good as a cow I would eat humans but sadly they don't and I had to throw away about 3/4 of the last human I cooked. :(

zerocool84

Lifer
Nov 11, 2004
I always find it funny about these veggie people that still eat fish. I tell them that you're still eating meat and that they're fake a vegetarian.

lxskllr

No Lifer
Nov 30, 2004
I always find it funny about these veggie people that still eat fish. I tell them that you're still eating meat and that they're fake a vegetarian.

That always bothers me too, same with the Catholics. Land and air meat are verboten, but water meat is fine. Kind of a strange distinction. When I was "vegetarian", I preferred the term "meat reduced diet", but that doesn't have quite the same flow.

Newbian

Lifer
Aug 24, 2008

It's like the people that use eggs in vegetarian dishes...

Still meat no matter what they say.