Vega 12 spotted in Geekbench.

Glo.

Diamond Member
Apr 25, 2015
16 CU version can be, considering the fact that it has HBM2. IMO, full die would go for 150$, with this performance.

Essentially, ALL of Vega dGPUs would have HBM2. Vega 7 nm, Vega 10, and Vega 12 - all having HBM2 memory.

Guru

May 5, 2017
Vega is dead for desktop, this is probably an IGP. We are going to see smaller Navi soon, but 7nm is still quite expensive and that is why AMD are taking their time. With their Ryzen 3000 series and RX 5700 series they can use that to improve the process and get better yields, making it more profitable to create smaller chips.

Reactions: prtskg and guachi

Glo.

Diamond Member
Apr 25, 2015
Vega is dead for desktop, this is probably an IGP. We are going to see smaller Navi soon, but 7nm is still quite expensive and that is why AMD are taking their time. With their Ryzen 3000 series and RX 5700 series they can use that to improve the process and get better yields, making it more profitable to create smaller chips.
It is not IGP ;).

MacBook Pro full Vega 12 has 1.2 GHz, 192 GB/s memory bus, 45W TDP.

This has 1.5 GHz, and god only knows how much bandwidth available. So the TDP will be higher, that the one from MBP. Also, this is desktop platform, tested by Asus. So here is another clue.

It is still only a possibility. But a lot falls down into the line telling that this actually might be desktop dGPU.

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
I'm confused by the marketing implications of a new Vega, of all things, dGPU? Did these get lost in a time-capsule somewhere? Or are these some sort of Apple-specific, or semi-custom, design?

Edit: OTOH, if this is an HBM2 design, and is going to retail for $120-150, it might be worth it for mining rigs. Just a thought.
Edit2: Unless they gimp it with only 4GB of VRAM max. That would be a sorry little card.
Edit3: I hope that it is a new enough design, to have HDMI2.1 ports. Combined with the speedy HBM2 memory, even if it is limited to 4GB VRAM, that would make a heck of an 8K QUHD 2D card.

Last edited:

Glo.

Diamond Member
Apr 25, 2015
I'm confused by the marketing implications of a new Vega, of all things, dGPU? Did these get lost in a time-capsule somewhere? Or are these some sort of Apple-specific, or semi-custom, design?

Edit: OTOH, if this is an HBM2 design, and is going to retail for $120-150, it might be worth it for mining rigs. Just a thought.
Edit2: Unless they gimp it with only 4GB of VRAM max. That would be a sorry little card.
Edit3: I hope that it is a new enough design, to have HDMI2.1 ports. Combined with the speedy HBM2 memory, even if it is limited to 4GB VRAM, that would make a heck of an 8K QUHD 2D card.
It is the same Vega 12 that for year goes on sale with MacBook Pros. It has 20 CUs, 4 Shader Engines, 32 ROPs, 4 GB HBM2. So there it is everything you need to know about it.

It would be completely and utterly stupid to such small card use 8 GB HBM2 stack which costs around 100$ vs 30$ for 4 GB stack.

Considering the fact that this GPU lands in laptops, for quite some time, currently the volume and manufacturing costs may be low enough to offer it on desktop, mainstream DIY market.

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
Oh, so this is surplus Vega 12 dies that were used on Apple products, being sold into the DIY market, to get rid of old stock. Got it.

Guru

May 5, 2017
It is not IGP ;).

MacBook Pro full Vega 12 has 1.2 GHz, 192 GB/s memory bus, 45W TDP.

This has 1.5 GHz, and god only knows how much bandwidth available. So the TDP will be higher, that the one from MBP. Also, this is desktop platform, tested by Asus. So here is another clue.

It is still only a possibility. But a lot falls down into the line telling that this actually might be desktop dGPU.
Maybe an OEM thing?

GodisanAtheist

Diamond Member
Nov 16, 2006
With HBM2 I hope it gets pushed as a small form factor/Low profile card. Always slim pickin's in that category, more options are always welcome.

Not having to dedicate extra board space to DRAM should hopefully result in something very small, which is typically what this market needs.

Reactions: VirtualLarry

krumme

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 2009
I am still bitter the ngg was broken in vega. My vega 64 could not properly play bf1 in 4k dx11 while my 5700 sans fast hbm2 does so fine in bf5 dx12.

It helped I got 30% more for it than I paid for it on launch day. But still. When I look at all those millions of apu without that tech enabled where it was needed most it pains.

Rdna in next 7nm apu will be a total blast.

prtskg

Oct 26, 2015
Linux patches seem to indicate that 7nm apu actually has Vega, not Navi. It could be obfuscation. But it also shows that 7nm apu is coming earlier than expected. AMD seems to be in a hurry to get everything on 7nm.