[VC] GTX780 Ti Performance

Saylick

Diamond Member
Sep 10, 2012
http://videocardz.com/47655/gigabyte-geforce-gtx-780-ti-pictured-performance-confirmed

I don't think I've seen this posted yet, but this is what VC is reporting.

Gigabyte-GTX-780-Ti-3Dmark11.jpg

Gigabyte-GTX-780-Ti-3DMark-Fire-Strike.jpg

Majcric

Golden Member
May 3, 2011
Not really the gap I was expecting to see in the synthethic benches . Of course, we'll need to see game reviews and how far that "Ti" can OC.

Feb 19, 2009
Synthetic benches of similar architecture is comparable, ie. Titan vs 780 vs 780ti. Titan in games is around 10% faster than a 780. Here, the 780ti is around 8% faster than Titan.

Its enough to dethrone the R290X at 1080p, but at 1600p and up, should be close. It all comes down to OC potential of these cards with proper cooling. But, R290X + EK waterblock still costs less than the $699 of the 780ti.

Saylick

Diamond Member
Sep 10, 2012
Synthetic benches of similar architecture is comparable, ie. Titan vs 780 vs 780ti. Titan in games is around 10% faster than a 780. Here, the 780ti is around 8% faster than Titan.

Its enough to dethrone the R290X at 1080p, but at 1600p and up, should be close. It all comes down to OC potential of these cards with proper cooling. But, R290X + EK waterblock still costs less than the $699 of the 780ti.

Agreed. The 780 Ti is pretty much what we've speculated; an extra SMX + a slight increase in clock speeds shouldn't add >20% performance, and as such, the values presented by VC are very much in line with what we've been expecting.

I still think that $700 is a bit on the high side, especially when you consider that it only has 3 GB of RAM. If they released it at $600... well, that might be enough to negate AMD's momentum. We shall see, however. Just two more days. ;)

nrok45

Sep 3, 2008
I still think that $700 is a bit on the high side

I agree with this as well considering the R9 290 is making all this noise now (pun intended) with it's crazy low price of $400. I bet the guys over at Nvidia are either rethinking thier current price point on the 780 Ti or maybe looking to further adjust the prices on gtx 770 / 780 to get that competitive edge again.

Erenhardt

Diamond Member
Dec 1, 2012
So much different scores than from previous news on the site. Well...

I agree with this as well considering the R9 290 is making all this noise now (pun intended) with it's crazy low price of $400. I bet the guys over at Nvidia are either rethinking thier current price point on the 780 Ti or maybe looking to further adjust the prices on gtx 770 / 780 to get that competitive edge again.
I dont think it is good idea to lower prices again. 780 drop[ed by $150 a week ago, if it drops again I can see how people could start to complain(GTX280). Nv may try to stay silent and pretend the is no r9 290 and lower prices gradually.

780ti for almost double the price of r9-290 better be fast, passive silent and run on CMOS battery...

RussianSensation

Elite Member
Sep 5, 2003
Nv may try to stay silent and pretend the is no r9 290 and lower prices gradually.

I think they should discontinue the 780 and release a 780 Ghz edition for $449. We'll have to see what NV does after the holiday bundle runs out. NV may also anticipate R9 290 shortages and as a result have less incentive to lower pricing.

780ti for almost double the price of r9-290 better be fast, passive silent and run on CMOS battery...

780Ti will be positioned as the fastest single GPU in the world. It's going to be the same story as $299 HD6950 unlocked vs. $499 GTX580. It will beat R9 290X but probably cost more. I would guess $649-699. It would be nice if NV revised the pricing to $599 to put pricing pressure on the R9 290X though as the R9 290X is too expensive relative to the R9 290.

AMD has 2 aces up its sleeve if it wanted to: BF4 bundle or new holiday game bundle / Mantle in BF4.

Last edited:

Ajay

Lifer
Jan 8, 2001
NV could introduce nice rebates for Black Friday and then just have them last thru the rest of the year if they need to. Then drop prices to the rebate levels after the new year.

Pariah

Elite Member
Apr 16, 2000

Doubt it. No more than Intel worries about price competing with AMD. When you have the more respected name in the industry and a better overall product, you don't have to compete directly on price/performance. So long as they are in the same ballpark, that's all that's necessary to maintain market share.

Venomous

Golden Member
Oct 18, 1999
Doubt it. No more than Intel worries about price competing with AMD. When you have the more respected name in the industry and a better overall product, you don't have to compete directly on price/performance. So long as they are in the same ballpark, that's all that's necessary to maintain market share.

If you been in the game as long as I have, you will note both NV and AMD/ATI have traded blows and crowns many times. Nvidia has been taking advantage of your wallet for far to long and it's about time they get checked. Once these AMD drivers mature, you're really going to see the power of the R9 coupled with legit aib cards with better coolers and bios.

It's been predicted AMD will take 40% marketshare with R9... That number may increase since that was predicted before the 290 dropped.

rtsurfer

Oct 14, 2013

Nope.
Once the aftermarket coolers come out AMD will have the better overall product.

It kinda already does. Its just the noise/heat that is bothering.
Aftermarket should deal with that. And AMD already had the price/performance and perfomance in its pocket.

This is not like the CPU world analogy you are trying to draw, where an FX-8350 would mostly loose to an OCed 4770K.

AMD has the performance right now and overall product should be better real soon.:cool:

blackened23

Diamond Member
Jul 26, 2011
That's entirely subjective of course. One thing is clear, is that 290 and 290X will benefit tremendously from better coolers - so whenever the aftermarket editions arrive, we'll see the true muscle of the Hawaii chip. That being said when you're talking better overall product, like I said - subjective. There are a lot of metrics to consider such as software, value added features, acoustics, etc etc etc and it all adds up in the total package. Having used NV for a while I see why people really like NV. It's just really polished with tons of little touches - I hope AMD pushes software harder, they're not up to NV's level yet, although they've improved in the past year.

I do agree that the 290 is a hell of a card for 400$, but as i've said 100 times I can't believe AMD threw that cheesy cooler on there. Both the 290 and 290X could have been 5 out of 5 star GPUs with nary a complaint with a better reference blower, but now we are where we are. Look at how many reviews on the web lament the cooler. Look at how many posts on this forum make mention of the cooler. AMD could have entirely prevented this but they aren't focusing on the entire user experience with their reference cards, and I really feel that they should. Yet, I guess that can be overlooked by most folks given the incredible price/performance of the 290, though.

I'm just torn on the 290 and 290X. I was pretty excited to see what AMD had prior to launch, and I wanted to like them - performance wise I do like them. A lot. As far as overall package though? Man, AMD should not have put that plastic blower on these cards.

Last edited:

Pariah

Elite Member
Apr 16, 2000
If you been in the game as long as I have, you will note both NV and AMD/ATI have traded blows and crowns many times. Nvidia has been taking advantage of your wallet for far to long and it's about time they get checked. Once these AMD drivers mature, you're really going to see the power of the R9 coupled with legit aib cards with better coolers and bios.

The first ATi card I personally owned was an original Radeon over 10 years ago. I've been waiting ever since for "mature" drivers from them. I'm not holding my breath.

And your post is a perfect example of what has been wrong with ATi/AMD. With a couple of exceptions (9700 Pro, 5870), both of which I owned, it's always unfilled promises and wait and see, the fixes are on the way.

rtsurfer

Oct 14, 2013
That's entirely subjective of course. One thing is clear, is that 290 and 290X will benefit tremendously from better coolers - so whenever the aftermarket editions arrive, we'll see the true muscle of the Hawaii chip. That being said when you're talking better overall product, like I said - subjective. There are a lot of metrics to consider such as software, value added features, acoustics, etc etc etc and it all adds up in the total package. Having used NV for a while I see why people really like NV. It's just really polished with tons of little touches - I hope AMD pushes software harder, they're not up to NV's level yet, although they've improved in the past year.

I do agree that the 290 is a hell of a card for 400$, but as i've said 100 times I can't believe AMD threw that cheesy cooler on there. Both the 290 and 290X could have been 5 out of 5 star GPUs with nary a complaint with a better reference blower, but now we are where we are. I guess that can be overlooked by most folks given the incredible price/performance of the 290, though.

I'm just torn on the 290 and 290X. I wanted to like them and performance wise I do like them. As far as overall package though? Man, AMD should not have put that plastic blower on these cards.

I too agree with you about the software polishing thing.

My current gaming system(an medium range laptop) has an Nvidia card in it. A friend of mine had an AMD 5XXX series card in his desktop and the catalyst suite on that system was a bit tedious to use compared to NVidia's that I use right now(I haven't looked into at catalyst since last 1.5 Years).

But, I am planning a new rig right now and when it comes to Videocard, I will most likely go with AMD, because I choose to vote with my Wallet.

AMD churns out more FPS at a lower price point, I think I would rather deal with a bit messy software then spend more money.

Though it is subjective like you said, as someone who is not strapped with cash might go with Nvidia if AMD's Catalyst is too tedious for him.

Last edited:

OCGuy

Lifer
Jul 12, 2000
Isn't that the site that said 290x was double Titan in perf?

I doubt they have access to those cards.

OCGuy

Lifer
Jul 12, 2000
780 GHz edition is not an official nVidia SKU, it's an OC model by AIBs.

There are (were) rumours of making a reference version using B1 stepping chips.

There are already multiple TRUE 1ghz 780s available..(meaning guaranteed to run at least that speed or you RMA)...so I doubt NV will bother.

Last edited:

SlickR12345

Jan 9, 2010
www.clubvalenciacf.com
Well it doesn't look like anything special. I mean for $700 its not worth it at all for a measly 7% percent increase in performance over the Titan.

If it cost $600 it may be decent, but as of right now I just don't see the value at all. Comes with only 3GB, the clock is not really high, at $700 its just a bad deal.

I mean Nvidia needs to stop pushing prices up, I just don't get it who is buying their cards at such extreme prices.

BallaTheFeared

Diamond Member
Nov 15, 2010
There are (were) rumours of making a reference version using B1 stepping chips.

There are already multiple TRUE 1ghz 780s available..(meaning guaranteed to run at least that speed or you RMA)...so I doubt NV will bother.

Pretty obvious Nvidia released revised GK110 silicon.

TPU measured the highest factory clocked 780 released so far as using less power than the stock reference 780.

power_average.gif

Keep in mind it's base 1033Mhz boost clock, which it is probably exceeding somewhat, and faster than Titan performance while using even less power.

I think the most interesting thing with the GTX 780 Ti will be what Nvidia decides to do as far as thermals and acoustics, do they run it hard for a decent performance advantage, or do they continue to offer high performance and great thermals/acoustics even in reference design?

perfwatt_2560.gif

selni

Oct 24, 2013

It's been predicted AMD will take 40% marketshare with R9... That number may increase since that was predicted before the 290 dropped.

Aren't they already quite close to 40% anyway? Third party cooling solutions are obviously going to make a massive difference to the 290s though yeah.

OCGuy

Lifer
Jul 12, 2000
Fudzilla let it slip that there is a launch tomorrow! Another night with not enough sleep :/

Teizo

Golden Member
Oct 28, 2010
Fudzilla let it slip that there is a launch tomorrow! Another night with not enough sleep :/

I thought this was already well established, or is there another card other than the 780Ti being launched as well?

Vesku

Diamond Member
Aug 25, 2005
GK110 is a nice chip, more efficient than I thought it would be when it launched as Tesla. However it's only now with the 290X release that pricing is even in the neighborhood of "reasonable". If the rumored $699 is true that is too high should be $599. Heck I'd love to see it drop in at $549 and then see GTX 780 reference drop to $400-449 but I won't hold my breath.