[VC]AMD Radeon R9 390X WCE Speculation Thread

KaRLiToS

Golden Member
Jul 30, 2010
SOURCE

AMD-Radeon-R9-390X-WCE-900x491.png

Unlike other leaks I receive, this one arrived in PDF format. Which is quite interesting, normally no one bothers to go through all the hassle to create them. This however was in PDF, and it’s partially the reason why I decided to post it. In other words this slide got through my sniff test, which as you know is very picky these days…

The leaker claims this slide is a part of in-house presentation called ‘2015 Future of Radeon’ that will be shown next week to AIB partners (not to public).

This slide allegedly confirms earlier leaks about R9 390X 8GB HBM Gen2, delaying the launch till later date.
WhyCry VideoCardz.com fornuft • an hour ago:

Well I was told more details, but I'm not allowed to share them.
I feel it was enough to post this. It's much more you'd expect from typical 'Asian' leak anyway. Take it as it is, or ignore it.

Stuck thread and changed the title a little bit to make it fit. Karlitos, if you have an issue with it you may PM me.

-Rvenger

Last edited by a moderator:

tviceman

Diamond Member
Mar 25, 2008
www.facebook.com
Looks legit to me. Under NDA TBA is troublesome though. It's like they are not ready to release but are trying to build the hype train to stem the losses.

Last edited:

Techhog

Platinum Member
Sep 11, 2013
Hm... The words "special" and "edition" make me wonder if there will also be an air-cooled reference version.

Feb 19, 2009
Hm... The words "special" and "edition" make me wonder if there will also be an air-cooled reference version.

AIBs models hopefully will be launched at the same time or not too long later, more choices is good for gamers.

Also, 8GB HBM if true explains the delays.

DarkKnightDude

Mar 10, 2011
This looks legit. Typical AMD slide.

Lots of interesting stuff though. VR focus, 4K focus, targeting the livestream demo on Twitch, DX12.

.vodka

Golden Member
Dec 5, 2014
Special enthusiast WC edition, that probably confirms what has been discussed so far in these threads, there will be a WC card for those who want such a cooling solution, else it'll hopefully be decent air coolers (I really hope AMD skips a reference air cooled version, using the blower of hell and stick to the WC version) like we already have on the good 290/x's out there. If they do release a reference air cooled card, I seriously hope they decided to license Sapphire's Tri-X cooler or something alike.

8GB HBM. More than enough memory for every intent and purpose, right in between the 6GB and 12GB GM200 cards. Full DX12 compatibility. Excellent news!

Looking good so far. We'll soon see what Maxwell's true competitor will be able to do, the 290/x have held up quite good these months against such fierce competition.

Techhog

Platinum Member
Sep 11, 2013
I really hope the 8GB is true and that a $400 390 also has it (though the "up to" makes that extremely unlikely).

raghu78

Diamond Member
Aug 23, 2012
The fact that its only now being revealed to AIB partners means the R9 390X is atleast 2 - 3 months away. But since the first batch is just reference design with AIO CLC the OEMs just need to put their sticker. My guess is the production is happening now and a Computex launch now seems very realistic. The 8GB HBM is the most important feature. This card is going to be the 4k card to get. If AMD has a 4GB SKU at a lower price that would be fine for 1080p gamers.

So from the looks of recent rumours R9 370 and R9 370X will launch first in early April. I expect the R9 380 and R9 380X to follow in early May and the R9 390X and R9 390 in early June at Computex. Finally we will have some good competition in the GPU market. :thumbsup:

raghu78

Diamond Member
Aug 23, 2012
My vote is that it is a dual GPU design. Hence, the 8 GB of HBM and the VR immersion...

http://i.imgur.com/NNlsEv2.jpg

Designs by spec are limited to 4 GB per ASIC. The only way to get 8 GB is to have two ASICs.

there is no such limitation. The only limitation is Hynix is in production of 2 Gigabit HBM chips and the first models are 4 Hi. So you have a capacity of
2 x 4 = 8 Gigabit = 1 Gigabyte per HBM stack. There is no limitation on the number of stacks which can be built on an interposer. Its possible to go higher than 4. If you have any proof from the JEDEC HBM spec which limits the number of HBM stacks to 4 feel free to highlight it. :thumbsup:

There are 2 ways AMD could get to 8 GB HBM. The first method is Hynix being able to deliver 4 Gigabit HBM chips and the other is AMD going for 8 memory stacks. We will soon know which option it is. :)

Techhog

Platinum Member
Sep 11, 2013
there is no such limitation. The only limitation is Hynix is in production of 2 Gigabit HBM chips and the first models are 4 Hi. So you have a capacity of
2 x 4 = 8 Gigabit = 1 Gigabyte per HBM stack. There is no limitation on the number of stacks which can be built on an interposer. Its possible to go higher than 4. If you have any proof from the JEDEC HBM spec which limits the number of HBM stacks to 4 feel free to highlight it. :thumbsup:

There are 2 ways AMD could get to 8 GB HBM. The first method is Hynix being able to deliver 4 Gigabit HBM chips and the other is AMD going for 8 memory stacks. We will soon know which option it is. :)

Nosta treats the random sources he finds on Google as gospel, even though they're almost always wrong.

metalliax

Jan 20, 2014
My vote is that it is a dual GPU design. Hence, the 8 GB of HBM and the VR immersion...

http://i.imgur.com/NNlsEv2.jpg

Designs by spec are limited to 4 GB per ASIC. The only way to get 8 GB is to have two ASICs.

I generally like seeing your input, while sometimes strange and outlandish (due to the fact that LinkedIn data isn't always accurate), however this time, I think you are just plain wrong.

If you read the slide somewhat carefully (well not really), you'll notice that is says up to 4096 shader units on the 2nd line, and it says up to 8GB HBM on the 7th line. If it was truly a dual-chip solution, wouldn't it say up to 8192 shader units and 8GB HBM?

I am guessing they found a way to get 4Gb chips qualified (4x 2GB stacks) or found a way to put in 8x 1GB stacks... only time will tell. And like I've stated before, I wouldn't be disappointed if 390x was only 4GB... although I'm sure a lot of nvidia fans will trash the card if it does.

ThatBuzzkiller

Golden Member
Nov 14, 2014
What could "Full DirectX 12_Tier 3 implementation" possibly mean ?

I doubt feature level 11_3 exists since Microsoft never officially announced it ...

I also doubt they were talking about the resource binding tiers too since first gen GCN already supported the third tier resource binding ...

My only two conclusions would either be them talking about the unannounced feature level 12_2 which will expose support for tier 3 tiled resources, Typed UAV tier 2, tier 3 resource binding, conservative rasterization tier 2 (Could it mean support for the "under-estimate" version of conservative rasterization then again why would we need it ? Or hardware conservative rasterization ?) and maybe even some new features or it could just be AMD's proposal meaning it's not official from Microsoft ...

Last edited:

3DVagabond

Lifer
Aug 10, 2009
AIBs models hopefully will be launched at the same time or not too long later, more choices is good for gamers.

Also, 8GB HBM if true explains the delays.

This makes a lot of sense. Sounds like it's going to be a pretty awesome card. What would the haters possibly have to complain about then? I really think nVidia is banking on HBM only being limited to 4gigs.

Shmee

Memory & Storage, Graphics Cards Mod Elite Member
Super Moderator
Sep 13, 2008
Will my 290 crossfire need to be updated?