Vancouver

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Aquaman

Lifer
Dec 17, 1999
Originally posted by: silverpig
Originally posted by: Aquaman
I am back thanks to Heather (Giggly Grinch):)

Cheers,
Aquaman

?

My account got fubared afterthe forum software upgrade.

Then I think I got lost in the mess ofthe mod change.

Cheers,
Aquaman

rh71

No Lifer
Aug 28, 2001
Vancouver was pretty sweet ... we were near the Robson St. area and walked Denman every night when we weren't at a tourist attraction. Tons of places to eat and English Bay at sunset was a great sight. Also had my first Fatburger. I could bike Stanley Park everyday. Beautiful. The weather didn't cooperate too much but I like the chill in the air as opposed to humid and muggy for a destination.

You guys were right about staying away from E Hastings. We strayed a block to try and head to Chinatown and boy were we in for a shocker. All of a sudden we ran into crackheads and bums - not only in alleyways, but in the open streets. A police cruiser was semi-parked on the street with its doors still open but no officers in sight. One block back over and it was touristy again. We high-tailed outta there so fast it was comical. Like something out of a movie.

Actual downtown Vancouver & Canada Place weren't as impressive as we had hoped. It was busier down Robson. Took the seabus north to see the suspension bridge. We also hit Richmond via bus but without a car it was tough to go many places easily. Just ate at some seafood restaurant and bailed. Saw the skytrain was a work in progress.

The impression we got of the west vancouver area was that it was pretty artist/trendy friendly. Dogs everywhere. Pretty cool place - I could see myself living there... and I never thought Canada would work for me. Even though we went to Alaska for 7 days after, the city still left an impression. Maybe it was the mix of atmosphere (people/places) that made it pretty inviting.

buck

Lifer
Dec 11, 2000
Check out West Hastings st. You will never forget it. :)

I kid I kid! Dont go.

silverpig

Lifer
Jul 29, 2001
Originally posted by: rh71
Vancouver was pretty sweet ... we were near the Robson St. area and walked Denman every night when we weren't at a tourist attraction. Tons of places to eat and English Bay at sunset was a great sight. Also had my first Fatburger. I could bike Stanley Park everyday. Beautiful. The weather didn't cooperate too much but I like the chill in the air as opposed to humid and muggy for a destination.

You guys were right about staying away from E Hastings. We strayed a block to try and head to Chinatown and boy were we in for a shocker. All of a sudden we ran into crackheads and bums - not only in alleyways, but in the open streets. A police cruiser was semi-parked on the street with its doors still open but no officers in sight. One block back over and it was touristy again. We high-tailed outta there so fast it was comical. Like something out of a movie.

Actual downtown Vancouver & Canada Place weren't as impressive as we had hoped. It was busier down Robson. Took the seabus north to see the suspension bridge. We also hit Richmond via bus but without a car it was tough to go many places easily. Just ate at some seafood restaurant and bailed. Saw the skytrain was a work in progress.

The impression we got of the west vancouver area was that it was pretty artist/trendy friendly. Dogs everywhere. Pretty cool place - I could see myself living there... and I never thought Canada would work for me. Even though we went to Alaska for 7 days after, the city still left an impression. Maybe it was the mix of atmosphere (people/places) that made it pretty inviting.

Cool. You seemed to get a bit of the flavour of it. I take it you didn't get a chance to check out Granville Island? That's one of my favourite places in the city.

rh71

No Lifer
Aug 28, 2001
^ yes we saw granville island too, early in the morning so it was pretty empty at the time, fine for us... had a good reuben there and no room for a crepe.