Vancouver

rh71

No Lifer
Aug 28, 2001
52,800
986
126
EDIT>>> I have returned... results quite a few posts down...


OP:
Originally it was Seattle but we decided to hit Vancouver's port for our cruise.. but we're staying 3 nights in Vancouver first. About to priceline a hotel.

- do we need a rental car ?
- do we want the hotel there in the city itself ?
http://www.priceline.com/hotel...onmaps/small/10119.gif
- top attractions (must-dos) ?

- where has aquaman gone ???
 

sandorski

No Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
69,421
4,800
126
Aqua is probably still scanning his damned magazines!! :D

1) Rent car? Depends. If you want to daytrip to Whistler or Seymor MTN, yes, but just kick around town, then Transit should be fine
2) If Downtown is in your budget, just stay away from East Hastings. Burrard, Davie, Robson and areas around are quite nice. Other areas of Vancouver should be cheaper and are generally alright places to be, but might be best to have a rental car there.
3) Maritime Museum, Art Gallery, Capilano Suspension Bridge, Stanley Park(though last winters wind storms still have parts closed to the public), many other places. If you're here at the right time there's also the Symphony of Fire, which is a must see.
 

silverpig

Lifer
Jul 29, 2001
27,709
11
81
You won't need a rental car. Transit is plenty good for everything you might want to do in 3 days, and beyond that there are cabs which will do in a pinch.

A hotel in the city will make your life easier yes. If you're downtown, then you can get by without even needing transit as you can walk to plenty of interesting places. If it's too much, then try to get something near a skytrain station in Burnaby. You'll be able to get downtown in 20 minutes for a few bucks.

The must dos depend a little on when you're coming.

I'd say spend a day on Granville Island for sure.
Spend another day in Stanley Park.
Another good day will be to walk around Robson street. Hanging out by the art gallery is fairly entertaining as well.

If you're coming in late July/early August, check out the celebration of light. Of course you might be on one of those cruises where the ship parks near the bay for a few hours on departure so you can watch from the decks.
 

sdifox

No Lifer
Sep 30, 2005
89,867
11,984
126
I say you hit the Vancouver Aquarium. One of the top ones in the world (according to Discovery HD)
I rented an apartment type room for 3 nights.
I didn't bother to rent a car, I just hopped on the bus
You might need a car if you plan to hit Whisler
 

jpeyton

Moderator in SFF, Notebooks, Pre-Built/Barebones
Moderator
Aug 23, 2003
25,375
142
116
Vancouver's best attractions are the ones that surround it. Hop on some ferries, visit the mountains, etc.
 

sandorski

No Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
69,421
4,800
126
Originally posted by: silverpig
Originally posted by: sandorski
ah, they changed the name.
Welcome to 4 years ago :p


disclaimer: it might not be exactly 4...
oops! Haven't seen it in 12 years and only been back for 2. I remember the good ol' days!! :D:D
 

rh71

No Lifer
Aug 28, 2001
52,800
986
126
thx for the replies - we're coming Sept 2 - 5 then we hop on the boat. Yay vacation days actually being spent.
 

rh71

No Lifer
Aug 28, 2001
52,800
986
126
Would there be plenty of free/meter parking in the city if I got a car ? It would be Labor Day Monday - Wednesday.

Thing is we're arriving at 10am and the hotels usually don't allow check-in till after 2 or so...
 

clickynext

Platinum Member
Dec 24, 2004
2,583
0
0
Originally posted by: rh71
Would there be plenty of free/meter parking in the city if I got a car ? It would be Labor Day Monday - Wednesday.

Thing is we're arriving at 10am and the hotels usually don't allow check-in till after 2 or so...
Free parking? Not in downtown, no. You'll find meter or lot parking pretty easily, though. Depending on where, it could be pricey. I've paid $15 for 2 hours before.
 

preslove

Lifer
Sep 10, 2003
16,755
61
91
Hang outside here & when a scruffy looking dude asks if you want anything, ask for some of BC's finest. Then go inside the cafe, sip some fine coffee & enjoy some of North America's best weed ;)
 

DanTMWTMP

Lifer
Oct 7, 2001
15,906
12
81
Grouse (sp?) mountain . Great great great views.

That one place under the two bridges... ehh forgot what's it called. just ask the locals. people are extremely friendly and very laidback over there. I'd go on a roadrage every second due to everyone being so chill lol.

Vancouver has some really awesome restaurants.

There's this section about a mile or 2 or 3 from the Canada center called gaslamp/steamlamp/steamblah district (bleh, i forgot what's it called) that was pretty awesome place to chill and have a few beers and walk around.

Take the ferry's for a tour.


See if you can actually visit the mountains around Vancouver. BC is probably one of the most picturesque places I've ever visited.


 

KeithTalent

Elite Member | Administrator | No Lifer
Administrator
Nov 30, 2005
50,235
117
116
Do not get a hotel in the suburbs, Downtown Vancouver is really the only way to go IMO and let us know which area you plan on staying in before you do so you don't end up somewhere sketchy. I think I saw that happen to someone here a little while back.

Grouse is awesome if it is not raining. If you are a hiker, maybe give the Grind a try and have lunch at the top, or you can just take the tram.

Parking can be a bit of a pain in the ass around town, but there are quite a few lots and meters around, so you should be ok. Plus having a car will make things easier if you decide to go somewhere like Grouse.

Definitely hit Granville island, it is a tonne of fun (particularly if you like food).

Bard on the Beach is fun if you like somewhat modernized Shakespeare in an outdoor setting (I do).

If you want restaurant recommendations, post your budget and cuisine preferences here (or PM me) and I'll help you out.

Cheers,
KT
 

AgentZap

Senior member
Sep 1, 2001
730
0
0
Never, but I am in a similar situation as the OP and will be ending my cruise staying 3 days at the Sheraton Wall Centre which according to google maps is right near east hastings so I was wondering why you recommended against it.
 

clickynext

Platinum Member
Dec 24, 2004
2,583
0
0
Originally posted by: DanTMWTMPThere's this section about a mile or 2 or 3 from the Canada center called gaslamp/steamlamp/steamblah district (bleh, i forgot what's it called) that was pretty awesome place to chill and have a few beers and walk around.
You mean Canada Place, and Gastown. =) I work there
 

KeithTalent

Elite Member | Administrator | No Lifer
Administrator
Nov 30, 2005
50,235
117
116
Originally posted by: AgentZap
Never, but I am in a similar situation as the OP and will be ending my cruise staying 3 days at the Sheraton Wall Centre which according to google maps is right near east hastings so I was wondering why you recommended against it.
The Sheraton Wall Centre is not really anywhere near East Hastings. It is somewhat near West Hastings (though not really), but you are far enough away from East Hastings for it not to be an issue.

Once you get past Cambie on Hastings, things start to get sketchy for several blocks, but even if you just go up and/or down a few blocks from Hastings, it is not quite so bad.

KT
 

silverpig

Lifer
Jul 29, 2001
27,709
11
81
Originally posted by: KeithTalent
Do not get a hotel in the suburbs, Downtown Vancouver is really the only way to go IMO and let us know which area you plan on staying in before you do so you don't end up somewhere sketchy. I think I saw that happen to someone here a little while back.

Grouse is awesome if it is not raining. If you are a hiker, maybe give the Grind a try and have lunch at the top, or you can just take the tram.

Parking can be a bit of a pain in the ass around town, but there are quite a few lots and meters around, so you should be ok. Plus having a car will make things easier if you decide to go somewhere like Grouse.

Definitely hit Granville island, it is a tonne of fun (particularly if you like food).

Bard on the Beach is fun if you like somewhat modernized Shakespeare in an outdoor setting (I do).

If you want restaurant recommendations, post your budget and cuisine preferences here (or PM me) and I'll help you out.

Cheers,
KT
This is pretty good advice, but I'll disagree with one thing. If you're a hiker, avoid the grouse grind. Hikers tend to like longer hikes on trails that aren't stairs the entire way (okay, well almost) and on trails that aren't crowded with tons of people. I've seen guys in business suits on the grind, and women in high heels.

The top of grouse does have nice views, but if you're a tourist in town for only a few days, just take the tram unless you're looking for some exercise.
 

ASK THE COMMUNITY