Vancouver Canada places # 3 in most desireable place to live in the world survey

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Molondo

Platinum Member
Sep 6, 2005
Originally posted by: RyanSengara
Originally posted by: Molondo
Americans love Calgary. A very high number of Americans are coming here. Must be oil :D

What number did Victoria come out to?

I don't think Victoria was large enough to be ranked at all.

Too bad, i hear its a pretty city. Planing to go there for school in the future.

brandonbull

Diamond Member
May 3, 2005
Originally posted by: AMDZen
You're an idiot, you already did your monologue.

Your country sucks, but if it were more like the States I would live there.

'Nuff said.

Oh and I guess my dad who was an accounting major and a vp of cingular know nothing about taxes. :roll:

Not like I care who your dad is, he may or may not have a clue about American tax numbers versus Canadian, or you might and he just lies to you. I don't really care.

The facts are clear if you look for them, but I can tell your already sold that your country is the greatest and your City is the greatest too. Earlier in the thread you said your sales taxes were 5%, you don't even know your own sales tax since its 13%, since all provincial governments except Alberta levy sales taxes your paying 7% to them and 6% to federal. Your property taxes account for about ten percent of total taxation in Canada. Overall you guys are paying around 10-20% more in taxes then we do.

According to the World Bank, the U. S. has a GDP per capita that is more than a third higher than Canadian per capita GDP ($34,280 for the U.S., $26,530 for Canada). So not only are you giving more of your paycheck to all of the needy poor people, you make a lot less to begin with - and pay a lot in sales tax (about double)

Believe what you like.

Clearly you do since we were addressing it, and clearly you're full of yourself.

Clearly you're more informed about the finances and tax systems of the USA than a VP in Marketing for Cingular.

Sorry if I'll take a little bit more established and qualified advice over some opinionated fucknuts that insults where I come from on a forum.

Maybe there is a reason for him being a VP of MARKETING and not FINANCE.

buck

Lifer
Dec 11, 2000
Originally posted by: brandonbull
You're an idiot, you already did your monologue.

Your country sucks, but if it were more like the States I would live there.

'Nuff said.

Oh and I guess my dad who was an accounting major and a vp of cingular know nothing about taxes. :roll:

Not like I care who your dad is, he may or may not have a clue about American tax numbers versus Canadian, or you might and he just lies to you. I don't really care.

The facts are clear if you look for them, but I can tell your already sold that your country is the greatest and your City is the greatest too. Earlier in the thread you said your sales taxes were 5%, you don't even know your own sales tax since its 13%, since all provincial governments except Alberta levy sales taxes your paying 7% to them and 6% to federal. Your property taxes account for about ten percent of total taxation in Canada. Overall you guys are paying around 10-20% more in taxes then we do.

According to the World Bank, the U. S. has a GDP per capita that is more than a third higher than Canadian per capita GDP ($34,280 for the U.S., $26,530 for Canada). So not only are you giving more of your paycheck to all of the needy poor people, you make a lot less to begin with - and pay a lot in sales tax (about double)

Believe what you like.

Clearly you do since we were addressing it, and clearly you're full of yourself.

Clearly you're more informed about the finances and tax systems of the USA than a VP in Marketing for Cingular.

Sorry if I'll take a little bit more established and qualified advice over some opinionated fucknuts that insults where I come from on a forum.

Maybe there is a reason for him being a VP of MARKETING and not FINANCE.

O SNAP!

desy

Diamond Member
Jan 13, 2000
Every report I've ever read about taxes puts tax freedom day, about one month earlier in the US than Canada so 1/12 is about 8.3%
The dificulty is the variance, some places in Canada pay more than others just as in the US someplaces pay more thatn others but the average is just taht about 8.3%

Aquaman

Lifer
Dec 17, 1999
I've lived in Vancouver all my life and I don't think I would live anywhere else (well maybe my own fijian island ;) )

ps. try Sweden for sales taxes........ 25% VAT :Q :confused:

Cheers,
Aquaman

sandorski

No Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
Originally posted by: mugs
Originally posted by: txrandom
Isn't Canada America's backyard? That makes it part of the United States.

If the US is so bad, why are all of the Canadians huddled by the border? :p

Poised for Invasion. We also keep Saskatchewan sparsely populated so that the Tank has a route into the US without causing much Friendly Casualties. Don't piss us off!!!!! :D

silverpig

Lifer
Jul 29, 2001
You obviously have no idea what your talking about in terms of taxes, I'm just going to leave it at that.

I've been to vancouver quite a few times and there are quite a few homeless people. Don't get me wrong, they're everywhere - but here in Denver at least they beg for change and leave it at that. In Vancouver they run out to clean your windshield and then get pissed if you let them do it without tipping them. I didn't ask them to do it, I'm not tipping. Not to mention I've practically almost ran over a couple of them. I've never seen so many crazy homeless people outside of San Fran or NY

I don't think there are less pan handlers and the like in downtown vancouver then in any city of equal size throughout the US. And I have family that lives there so I've been there enough times to establish that opinion.

And to your opinions about the poor, well its just my opinion that this is precisely what is wrong with your country. I'm not going into a big monologue, but if someone doesn't work for success in life then why should a hard working person such as myself have to give up so much for those people. I think its hilarious that you guys think your doing them a favor by giving them handouts, letting them live on your dime. Your not. And if you believe in this delusion that because of these handouts, there are somehow less homeless people your pretty far off too. I don't have any stats, but I don't feel like I need to with all of my visits there.

Don't get me wrong - if it wasn't for a few things I'd want to live in Canada. Unfortunetely those few things are the more important, since overall Canada has a lot of other things right. And of course the psuedo-european elitist attitude you guys seem to share doesn't help either.

The reason why Vancouver has so many homeless is because it's the only place in Canada that someone can survive on the street year round. The majority of our homeless come from Quebec.

We give healthcare handouts to everyone sure. And yeah there's welfare but there's welfare everywhere. It's not like you can sit at home and play on your PS3 on your 50" HDTV on welfare or anything.

The funny thing is though, even in spite of all of the problems here, it's still ranked above almost every other city in the world.

Just wait until after 2010, the city will change and become even better.

eakers

Lifer
Aug 14, 2000
I live in Canada and the worst racism I've seen is towards the natives. There is a lot of bitterness and resentment but there are reasons why it exists. I know that I have some pretty bad feelings about them, their policies and actions.

ps: we do pay too much taxes. My parents are lower middle class and pay 43% tax on their income.

Acanthus

Lifer
Aug 28, 2001
ostif.org
Originally posted by: sandorski

Poised for Invasion. We also keep Saskatchewan sparsely populated so that the Tank has a route into the US without causing much Friendly Casualties. Don't piss us off!!!!! :D

:D:laugh:

meltdown75

Lifer
Nov 17, 2004
Originally posted by: eakers
I live in Canada and the worst racism I've seen is towards the natives. There is a lot of bitterness and resentment but there are reasons why it exists. I know that I have some pretty bad feelings about them, their policies and actions.
cheap smokes though eh

silverpig

Lifer
Jul 29, 2001

ps: we do pay too much taxes. My parents are lower middle class and pay 43% tax on their income.

How is that possible? Does Ontario have super high provincial tax rates or something? I'm looking at the tax forms now.

Federal:

Your income under $36378 is taxed at 15.25% (minus your base amount which is tax free)
then the income between $36378 and $72756 is taxed at 22%
then the income between $72756 and $118285 is taxed at 26%
and anything above that is taxed at 29%

I don't know about your provincial tax, but here it's

< $33755 - 6.05%
$33755 < x < $67511 - 9.15%
$67511 < x < $77511 - 11.7%
$77511 < x < $94121 - 13.7%
> $94121 - 14.7%

So the max here should be 43.7% but that's only if you're making 120k+. Lower middle class is probably $50k so that's like 30%.

And that's not even true, because if you're making $120k only the last $2000 you make is taxed at that rate. Everything else is taxed at a lower rate.

b0mbrman

Lifer
Jun 1, 2001
Originally posted by: moshquerade
but it's ccccold there.

<cue stereotypes>

Not nearly as cold as people like to think it is.

Rarely gets below freezing in the winter, and hits high 30s low 40s in the summer.

I've been many times as I lived in Seattle for a while and have cousins in Vancouver. Not horribly colder than its American counterparts in the Northwest, but not really my cup of tea.

DotheDamnTHing

Platinum Member
Feb 2, 2004
Originally posted by: sandorski

LOL

silverpig

Lifer
Jul 29, 2001

I guess now I'll respond to the natives comment. It is true though, but that's only because they are given special treatment by the government.

A few months ago there was a high-profile crime/court case in the news. A teenager was working his late night gas station job alone (which they now have laws against because of this) when he spotted someone trying to fill up and run. He ran out to stop the person from leaving, but the person driving the car hit him.

The driver stole the car, and was high on drugs. The kid was pinned under the car and dragged for several blocks. The driver said he remembered hearing cries for help at intersections when he stopped for traffic lights, but kept going anyways. He ended up dragging the kid to death.

The driver was a native. No big deal right? Natives commit crimes just like whites/chinese/east indians right? It could just as easily have been a black guy or an aussie.

The kicker is I heard on the news last night that he just had his sentence reduced because the court of appeals ruled that "the presiding judge failed to take into account the defendant's age and the fact that he was a native."

That kind of crap pisses me off.

sdifox

No Lifer
Sep 30, 2005

Front yard. Back yard is Mexico.

Sphexi

Diamond Member
Feb 22, 2005
Vancouver is pretty darned nice. I wish I could go over there more often, but I'm happy here in Victoria for the meantime.

sdifox

No Lifer
Sep 30, 2005

Because further up and it is damn cold in winter. I think Canadian snowbirds own Florida more than Cubans now :)

Safeway

Lifer
Jun 22, 2004
Bull crap, Canada is almost as bad as Nigeria. It's full of scammers and French.

sdifox

No Lifer
Sep 30, 2005
Originally posted by: andylawcc
Originally posted by: miniMUNCH
I, myself, have witness some serious f'ed up racist sh1t in Vancouver... things I have never seen in California or western PA.

With soo many chinese there, I thought Vancouver would have been less racist. (unless it is the chineses who administer the racism)

Bingo. Chinese are racist (comes from thinking they are the centre of the universe for 5000 years).

Sphexi

Diamond Member
Feb 22, 2005
Originally posted by: sdifox
I, myself, have witness some serious f'ed up racist sh1t in Vancouver... things I have never seen in California or western PA.

With soo many chinese there, I thought Vancouver would have been less racist. (unless it is the chineses who administer the racism)

Bingo. Chinese are racist (comes from thinking they are the centre of the universe for 5000 years).

That's weird. I walked around in a couple of shopping centers in Richmond, being the ONLY white person in some of these places, and I felt perfectly fine. Nobody gave me the cold shoulder, nobody in any stores ignored me or talked short to me, everybody was very polite and friendly, it was quite nice.

To be honest, I much prefer the supermarkets that are Chinese run over the ones that aren't here. There's one across the street from me that has a lot of Chinese employees, and I love shopping there, they're always very polite and friendly, and it's obvious that they enjoy their jobs and it reflects on the store. Down the street is another store that's pretty much all white employees, and there's maybe one or two people I've met working there that are worth anything. The rest talk over customers to each other, stand around chatting, try to avoid helping customers find items, that sort of thing.

I'm sure there are some Chinese people out there that are racist, but then again, there are a lot of white people out there that are racist, and some from every race.

Whisper

Diamond Member
Feb 25, 2000
Originally posted by: Sphexi
Originally posted by: sdifox

That's weird. I walked around in a couple of shopping centers in Richmond, being the ONLY white person in some of these places, and I felt perfectly fine. Nobody gave me the cold shoulder, nobody in any stores ignored me or talked short to me, everybody was very polite and friendly, it was quite nice.

To be honest, I much prefer the supermarkets that are Chinese run over the ones that aren't here. There's one across the street from me that has a lot of Chinese employees, and I love shopping there, they're always very polite and friendly, and it's obvious that they enjoy their jobs and it reflects on the store. Down the street is another store that's pretty much all white employees, and there's maybe one or two people I've met working there that are worth anything. The rest talk over customers to each other, stand around chatting, try to avoid helping customers find items, that sort of thing.

I'm sure there are some Chinese people out there that are racist, but then again, there are a lot of white people out there that are racist, and some from every race.

From what I've seen with the Asians (and more specifically, Chinese) that I know, the racism doesn't generally extend towards Caucasians as much as it does Blacks and Hispanics. But this is based on US Asians, so it might not at all be generalizable to Canadians. And this is also a generalization, so I wouldn't even think to say it applies to most Chinese people in general.

torpid

Lifer
Sep 14, 2003
What kind of horrific crappy as all get out health insurance costs only $300/month for an entire family? Are you talking about individual coverage, not group coverage? Also known as the coverage where they reject you if you have any sort of condition or prescription required? My health insurance is over $300 for just me. It's a group HMO plan in a company with about two dozen employees.

Anyhoo Vancouver is kind of like Canada lite, IMO. All that movie industry business and being so close to the border...