Valve and their stupid Orange Box

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

hdeck

Lifer
Sep 26, 2002
lol @ people that are complaining. as stated above, the black box was only going to be $5 cheaper than what the pre-order of the orange box is. you can still buy whatever component of the orange box you want separately when it's released if you are that up in arms over having 2 copies of hl2/e1.

if you think $30 is too much for TF2 then i don't know what to say.

styrafoam

Platinum Member
Jun 18, 2002
Valve knew that all of thier built in sales in people who already owned hl2 would most likely only purchase ep2 at retail, and would expect to pay $20 for it. The orange box is only a bargain when you compare the orange box to the price point at which they have placed all of the new material on steam. Valve controls the price of both the orange box and the individual units of tf2 and ep2. Valve suggests that you "gift" your copy of HL2 if you plan on buying the orange box. Most people who play thier gifted down copy of HL2 will probably want to play EP2 at some point. See where this is going? All of thier built in $30 sales become $45 with the premium being justified by selling you something you already own, and the hope that whoever you gift your game to is driven mad by the same pardox that you faced and buys the orange box(because its a !bargain!) to play ep2 and tf2. Gifts down thier copy, 8.

Weak move on valve's part.

Czar

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
Originally posted by: hdeck
lol @ people that are complaining. as stated above, the black box was only going to be $5 cheaper than what the pre-order of the orange box is. you can still buy whatever component of the orange box you want separately when it's released if you are that up in arms over having 2 copies of hl2/e1.

but its kinda pissy that if you dont own hl2 and ep1 then you are getting a realy realy good deal but when you have already spent more money than new buyers on valve then you have to pay more

loyal customers should be worth something

Golgatha

Lifer
Jul 18, 2003
Originally posted by: marmasatt

I'm probably the opposite of many here. Just want to check out EP2 for $ 19.99 or preferably $14.99 opening week as it often is, and then be done with it.....

I'm with you. With 2 kids I just don't have time for multiplayer games much anymore. However, I can just quicksave EP2 and come back to it whenever in 30min spurts until it is complete.

lupi

Lifer
Apr 8, 2001
Anyone pick up a copy from CC yet?

If so how long was the install/patch.

xaeniac

Golden Member
Feb 4, 2005
Originally posted by: Golgatha

I'm probably the opposite of many here. Just want to check out EP2 for $ 19.99 or preferably $14.99 opening week as it often is, and then be done with it.....

I'm with you. With 2 kids I just don't have time for multiplayer games much anymore. However, I can just quicksave EP2 and come back to it whenever in 30min spurts until it is complete.

You could easily play TF2 30 minutes at a time.

apoppin

Lifer
Mar 9, 2000
alienbabeltech.com
Originally posted by: Czar

but its kinda pissy that if you dont own hl2 and ep1 then you are getting a realy realy good deal but when you have already spent more money than new buyers on valve then you have to pay more

if you are really a loyal customer you will forgive them
rose.gif

It worked out good for me. Even though i didn't care enough for Ep1 to finish it - i lost my Steam Password and thus lost HL2/Ep1 also. However, since i got Orange Box free with my $320 2900xt back in June, i will be able to finally finish Ep1 and play the mods for HL2 along with the new games.

So i can't hate anyone today.
:D

Captante

Lifer
Oct 20, 2003
Originally posted by: Czar

Apparently not to Valve.

Krakn3Dfx

Platinum Member
Sep 29, 2000
People pay $60 for Halo 3, never say a word...Valve gives you what essentially amounts to 5 games for $45, and you can't just deal?

/me shakes his head

Krakn3Dfx

Platinum Member
Sep 29, 2000
Originally posted by: Frackal
IMO it is a load of crap, and unless EP2 is superb or I can buy it seperately for less money, I'm not buying this time.

I've already played with the same old machine gun and grav gun against the same old enemies and play style as 3-4 years ago. Spicing up the graphics on the same old game that's now been released for the third time is not great. Finding a way to force anyone who wants to purchase it to pay 50 dollars for it is even dumber.

HL3 ought to be out by now with wholly new concepts. Valve has essentially polished and added new content to a 4 year old game and is still selling it for 50 dollars. Who cares if you get multiplayer mods to go with it.

If I recall correctly, Episodes 1 2 and 3 together are supposed to basically be Half Life 3. That may have changed over the last few years, but I remember Gabe saying that was the initial plan.

I didn't even think twice about pre-ordering for $45, TF2 alone is worth that and more, it's the most fun I've had in a team based FPS in a long while, and Portal looks like it's going to be very cool. It's been a long time in the making, the package they're delivering is stellar, even if you're getting a few duplicate games in the mix.

Captante

Lifer
Oct 20, 2003
Originally posted by: Krakn3Dfx
People pay $60 for Halo 3, never say a word...Valve gives you what essentially amounts to 5 games for $45, and you can't just deal?

/me shakes his head

Why is so difficult to understand wanting to pay $20 for Episode 2 alone instead of being forced to pay $40 for games we either already own or don't want to play?

As I said earlier, if you were going to buy these other games anyway then its a good deal, but I wasn't & that makes it a ripoff for me.

RandomFool

Diamond Member
Dec 25, 2001
www.loofmodnar.com
Originally posted by: Captante

/me shakes his head

Why is so difficult to understand wanting to pay $20 for Episode 2 alone instead of being forced to pay $40 for games we either already own or don't want to play?

As I said earlier, if you were going to buy these other games anyway then its a good deal, but I wasn't & that makes it a ripoff for me.

You can buy ep2 alone, it's just you have to pay $30 not $20.

I'd like every game to be free but I know that's not going to happen.

Captante

Lifer
Oct 20, 2003
Originally posted by: RandomFool
Originally posted by: Captante

/me shakes his head

Where did you find this information ... thats the first I've heard of it.

Also $30 for Episode 2 alone is any even bigger ripoff then the Orange box .... $20 for an expansion pack is a fair price ... I'm not looking for free.

marmasatt

Diamond Member
Jan 30, 2003

Not to be argumentative, but you're still missing the point. Again, Episodic gaming was supposed to be 1) more frequent releases of your favorite games and 2) 1/3 the price of a normal game. So it's just not what we've all expected or asked for...... I see the point of a good deal, I just don't know why ours is so hard to understand. I don't want all the other crap. And I want what I do want cheap. Along w/ Golgatha chiming in with being able to play short half hour or hour stints (including pausing :D) at your leisure - just another reason some people like SP as opposed to MP.

Edit: My best Apoppin post to date. (Need something else in brackets though and a few more emoticons ;))

apoppin

Lifer
Mar 9, 2000
alienbabeltech.com

Not to be argumentative, but you're still missing the point. Again, Episodic gaming was supposed to be a) more frequent releases of your favorite games and b) 1/3 the price of a normal game. So it's just not what we've all asked for...... I see the point of a good deal, I just don't know why ours is so hard to understand. I don't want all the other crap. And I want it cheap. Along w/ Golgatha chiming in with being able to play short half hour of hour stints (including pausing :D) at your leisure - just another reason some people like SP as opposed to MP.
you're stuck on dial-up, right ... you are 3% of Valve's customers
[which means you get the short end every time]

market forces apply

the orange package evidently IS working ... for 80+% of Valve's Customers ... expect sales and deep discounts ... eventually

i DO have to agree with you: i want everything cheap :p
- ALL for ME

as to your "supposed to be's" ... they are like political promises ... isn't Ep2 also about a year [or 2] late?
:confused:

GundamSonicZeroX

Platinum Member
Oct 6, 2005
Man, on another forum I just stated that I think the Orange Box sucks since I have every ValVe game release so far. The asshole tells me to stop being so cheap. :roll:

Ichigo

Platinum Member
Sep 1, 2005
By the logic that some of you use, Oblivion players should be up in arms after the GotY version was released. How dare they sell the package at a cheaper price?!

zerocool84

Lifer
Nov 11, 2004
Originally posted by: GundamSonicZeroX
Man, on another forum I just stated that I think the Orange Box sucks since I have every ValVe game release so far. The asshole tells me to stop being so cheap. :roll:

Yep same here. We are basically forced to either buy each one individually which will cost 3x more or buy the orange box that has games we already have for $45

apoppin

Lifer
Mar 9, 2000
alienbabeltech.com
Where is the poll?
:confused:

and does Valve really care since no one is going to actually boycott their games if Valve doesn't change it's evil ways?

i don't see anyone saying i won't be blackmailed :p
... where is the stand on principle?
--i looks as though the average PC gameer really has no problem with "giving in" other than to complain about it - to other consumers
--i think Valve knows this ... you are either going to buy their games or not, OB or no OB.
Maybe their pitchmen should suggest this is the "giving season" ... Xmas IS pretty universal.
:roll:

it doesn't affect me at all in this case other then wanting to know

TheVrolok

Lifer
Dec 11, 2000
I'm with the camp that feels like TF2, Ep2, and Portals is a steal at 45, and a bonus copy of HL2 and Ep1 is just awesome.

Captante

Lifer
Oct 20, 2003
Originally posted by: Ichigo
By the logic that some of you use, Oblivion players should be up in arms after the GotY version was released. How dare they sell the package at a cheaper price?!

So whats your point, if each expansion pack was only available bundled with the full version of Oblivion for $49 that would be just fine? :confused:

The ES4 GOTY Edition is a great deal for those who havn't played Oblivion yet, but all the expansions are available alone for $20 or less ... thats the way it should be.

Falloutboy

Diamond Member
Jan 2, 2003
I bought Orange box for TF2, I wanted to play it in beta so the extra 15 bucks to get that chance + getting portal and Ep 2 was more than fine. and tbh I overlooked portal at first, but just finished it. damn good game well worth the 15 bucks extra right there

Gunslinger08

Lifer
Nov 18, 2001
I think Portal alone is worth the price of the Orange Box, especially when people start designing and releasing their own levels.

Red Storm

Lifer
Oct 2, 2005
Agreed. Portal is an awesome game. I never had so much fun playing a first person game that didn't involve me having to kill people.