Valve and their stupid Orange Box

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Kev

Lifer
Dec 17, 2001
Originally posted by: Frackal
Originally posted by: Kev
Episode 2 is 1/3 of a game on a nearly 4 year old engine that is a year late. Portal is a game (AFAIK) that was developed by some students, and TF2 is another game, (hopefully more of one than DOD-S) which may or may not deserve the title of "full game." DOD-S sure as hell isn't a full game in the way that crysis, FFOW, etc are

Anyway, 45 isnt that bad, but EP2 and Portal are not full games by any stretch.

Then don't buy it. Nobody cares.

If you don't care, why respond to my post. I'm stating my opinion as validly as everyone else here. You on the other hand, along with the other guy on the bottom of page one, could stand to grow up a bit.

waahhh, waahhhhh

marmasatt

Diamond Member
Jan 30, 2003

I'm probably the opposite of many here. Just want to check out EP2 for $ 19.99 or preferably $14.99 opening week as it often is, and then be done with it.....

Polish3d

Diamond Member
Jul 6, 2005
Episode 2 is 1/3 of a game on a nearly 4 year old engine that is a year late. Portal is a game (AFAIK) that was developed by some students, and TF2 is another game, (hopefully more of one than DOD-S) which may or may not deserve the title of "full game." DOD-S sure as hell isn't a full game in the way that crysis, FFOW, etc are

If you don't care, why respond to my post. I'm stating my opinion as validly as everyone else here. You on the other hand, along with the other guy on the bottom of page one, could stand to grow up a bit.

waahhh, waahhhhh

lol. as I said, you may want to grow up a bit

Piuc2020

Golden Member
Nov 4, 2005
Originally posted by: marmasatt

I'm probably the opposite of many here. Just want to check out EP2 for $ 19.99 or preferably $14.99 opening week as it often is, and then be done with it.....

That is a valid argument but The Orange Box is a good value, even if you own HL2 and EP1 then you are still getting an awesome multiplayer game, a fun little puzzle game and another Episode, a fair deal for current owners of HL2 and EP1 and a mind blowing deal for those who don't own anything in the Orange Box.

But I understand your dilemma and I think Valve has said they WILL release the Orange Box contents separately, for the PC at least.

Captante

Lifer
Oct 20, 2003

I agree ... I don't care about TF2 or Portal & I don't want to spend more then $20 on EP2.

If EP2 isn't released standalone I'll have to take a pass.

MrUniq

Mar 26, 2006
from a value perspective this is a good buy...but from a consumer confidence it's iffy. HL2 and ep1 are indeed "free"....yet they are a buy for someone who doesn't own them. It's a black eye for episodic gaming. Valve should offer the peices seperately(which they prob are going to do, hopefully at the same time as the orange box)....or do what EPIC did with UT2003 and offer a discount rate for loyal customers. That all being said..i'll prob get the orange box b/c I love the HL story. It's great that game companies eventually bundle everything...but in the future I'll refrain from buying "early" releases if it's not in final form. That's why i'm waiting for ES4: Oblivion..game of the year edition or whatever they are going to call it, with everything wrapped up in one box.

Czar

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
For the record I bought the orange box.
TF2 is definetly worth it :)

I agree with MrUniq, Valve should be thinking about discounts for loyal customers. I'm at the point of not buying games if they are not on steam.

msi1337

Diamond Member
Apr 16, 2003
Originally posted by: RandomFool
Why do people keep complaining about this? 50 buck for 3 games is awesome. TF2 is worth 50 bucks alone.

agreed

Beev

Diamond Member
Apr 20, 2006

Episode 2 is longer than episode 1, so while it IS one of three parts, it's not 1/3 of a game. And the 4 year old engine is still among the best. Portal is based on a game made by some students, and TF2 is as much a full game as Quake 3 was.

Just trying to help you justify the price.

PingSpike

Lifer
Feb 25, 2004
Originally posted by: Capt Caveman
TF2 is worth the stand alone price of $29. To get everything else for $15 is a bargain.

You know...unless you didn't want that other stuff. Then you're $15 in the hole.

Miklebud

Platinum Member
Nov 20, 2002
Hmmm...Math is hard...

HL2: Ep 2 - $29.95
Team Fortress 2 - $29.95
Portal - $19.95

Yeah...the Orange Box is such a rip off....

Capt Caveman

Lifer
Jan 30, 2005
Originally posted by: PingSpike
TF2 is worth the stand alone price of $29. To get everything else for $15 is a bargain.

You know...unless you didn't want that other stuff. Then you're $15 in the hole.

Then wait til TF2 goes on sale alone. No one is forcing you to buy it.

jman19

Lifer
Nov 3, 2000

waahhh, waahhhhh

lol. as I said, you may want to grow up a bit

You're going to flood the PC Gaming forum with your tears :(

jhbball

Platinum Member
Mar 20, 2002
I'm certain you an buy each game on steam, by itself, after release.

xenolith

Golden Member
Aug 3, 2000
What everyone seems to forget is Valve planned to release a $40 black box version that packaged just the three new games, and nothing else. Then within all the protracted delays, Valve decided to cancel the "retail" black box due to "marketing reasons."

So to me, it looks like HL2 and EP1 are not free. Now, if you want the new packaged deal, you have to re-purchase HL2 and EP1 [which everyone who's bought into the episodic scheme already owns] for an extra $10, which affords you the $50 orange box price tag.

"Then don't buy it," people say. I will buy it thank you... only because Half Life and Team Fortress are my favorite game series, bar none. But I still can't help but think I am being a little jilted into paying a bit more than I thought I should.

Captante

Lifer
Oct 20, 2003
Originally posted by: Miklebud
Hmmm...Math is hard...

HL2: Ep 2 - $29.95
Team Fortress 2 - $29.95
Portal - $19.95

Yeah...the Orange Box is such a rip off....

Episode 1 stand-alone sold for $20 at release (when I bought it) & shortly afterwards went on sale for $15 ... the cheapest I've seen the Orange box on sale for is $40 + tax so I'd be paying $20/$25 additional for games I don't want or already own.

If you want all 3 of the new-content games Valve has bundled its a reasonable deal ... if not then it pretty much sucks.

Capt Caveman

Lifer
Jan 30, 2005
Originally posted by: xenolith
What everyone seems to forget is Valve planned to release a $40 black box version that packaged just the three new games, and nothing else. Then within all the protracted delays, Valve decided to cancel the "retail" black box due to "marketing reasons."

So to me, it looks like HL2 and EP1 are not free. Now, if you want the new packaged deal, you have to re-purchase HL2 and EP1 [which everyone who's bought into the episodic scheme already owns] for an extra $10, which affords you the $50 orange box price tag.

"Then don't buy it," people say. I will buy it thank you... only because Half Life and Team Fortress are my favorite game series, bar none. But I still can't help but think I am being a little jilted into paying a bit more than I thought I should.

fwiw - the Orange Box pre-ordered on Steam is only $5 more than what the black box was going to go for. And on tuesday, you can buy the Orange Box at Circuit City for $37 or get a price match elsewhere.

digiram

Diamond Member
Apr 17, 2004
Originally posted by: gtsing
I think you should look at it from a company point of view and stop bitching. You're still getting a good deal. Valve makes the most money this way, duh. That's what I would do if I was managing marketing and sales or whatever for Valve's Orange box. The weird thing is, is that if they were to release separately for 59.99 or whatever, you probably wouldn't bitch at all.

QFT

imported_Imp

Diamond Member
Dec 20, 2005
Originally posted by: gtsing
I think you should look at it from a company point of view and stop bitching. You're still getting a good deal. Valve makes the most money this way, duh. That's what I would do if I was managing marketing and sales or whatever for Valve's Orange box. The weird thing is, is that if they were to release separately for 59.99 or whatever, you probably wouldn't bitch at all.

Very true. It's not the price that annoys me, it's the principal. I already payed for Episode 1 and the original for more than $80 ($20 + $60), and now they practically give it away for free in Episode 2. If it really were $50 for TF2 and Episode 2 with no "free" things, I would just get it anyways.

xenolith

Golden Member
Aug 3, 2000

fwiw - the Orange Box pre-ordered on Steam is only $5 more than what the black box was going to go for. And on tuesday, you can buy the Orange Box at Circuit City for $37 or get a price match elsewhere.

Thanks for posting, that's nice to know. I'll try to price match at my local Walmart. Will it be available tomorrow in the stores?

Czar

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999

ahh the black box... thats what I was trying to remember and what pissed me so off about the new deal

wouldnt surprise me if they did release the black box after release... those bastards :p

Sinsear

Diamond Member
Jan 13, 2007
Originally posted by: RandomFool
Why do people keep complaining about this? 50 buck for 3 games is awesome. TF2 is worth 50 bucks alone.

QFT

marmasatt

Diamond Member
Jan 30, 2003

If you want all 3 of the new-content games Valve has bundled its a reasonable deal ... if not then it pretty much sucks.

That's what I'm saying. I'm like one of the 6 guys in the US still on dial up. TF2 doesn't mean shite to me. I want the EP:2 for $ 15. Am I going to be able to get that or no? That's what we were promised with episodic gaming - cheaper prices and more frequent releases/chapters of our favorite games :D

MrUniq

Mar 26, 2006
So far I would say episodic gaming has turned out just to be the opposite. Luckily I didn't buy Ep one...and I bought the HL2 at half price with a best buy gift card. But those who have bought seperately have ultimately paid far more. I think companies should carefully consider lower pricing and customer discounts in the future b/c it seems early adopters..even with games..pay more. Profit wise..this benefits Valve and those new to HL2. And once again..I'm getting orange box...but I don't think it is fair to dismiss those who take issue with it b/c they are paying customers too.

That's what I'm saying. I'm like one of the 6 guys in the US still on dial up. TF2 doesn't mean shite to me. I want the EP:2 for $ 15. Am I going to be able to get that or no? That's what we were promised with episodic gaming - cheaper prices and more frequent releases/chapters of our favorite games :D