Valve and their stupid Orange Box

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

marmasatt

Diamond Member
Jan 30, 2003

You guys suck. After chiming in twice on this thread alone, I broke down and took the plunge. And I can't even play TF2 (well, I can, but you don't want "dial up" guy on your team). Hope Portal and EP2 are everything people are saying.

apoppin

Lifer
Mar 9, 2000
alienbabeltech.com
Originally posted by: styrafoam
Valve knew that all of thier built in sales in people who already owned hl2 would most likely only purchase ep2 at retail, and would expect to pay $20 for it. The orange box is only a bargain when you compare the orange box to the price point at which they have placed all of the new material on steam. Valve controls the price of both the orange box and the individual units of tf2 and ep2. Valve suggests that you "gift" your copy of HL2 if you plan on buying the orange box. Most people who play thier gifted down copy of HL2 will probably want to play EP2 at some point. See where this is going? All of thier built in $30 sales become $45 with the premium being justified by selling you something you already own, and the hope that whoever you gift your game to is driven mad by the same pardox that you faced and buys the orange box(because its a !bargain!) to play ep2 and tf2. Gifts down thier copy, 8.

Weak move on valve's part.
no ... *brilliant* marketing on Valve's part ... if they keep it up, someday they may buy Epic :p

look at what you just typed:

they are "encouraging" fans to buy the OB and "hook" their friends into it with a gift-copy of HL2 and Ep1 ... ad infinitum

look at the people who "broke down" and already purchased BO - after swearing they ONLY wanted a single game

it would break down if OB was not a "good value" .... fortunately for Valve, OB is an awesome value for most of us ... even the dial-up dudes. :p
[of course, this comes from someone who got OB included with an on-sale video card and finally got wireless 'net this Summer]

Valve and their stupid Orange Box
... what were they thinking?

they were brilliantly planning ahead ... all these years
... thinking out of the box
... [out of the black box and into the orange and $GREEN$] ;)

ConstipatedVigilante

Diamond Member
Feb 22, 2006
Originally posted by: marmasatt

You guys suck. After chiming in twice on this thread alone, I broke down and took the plunge. And I can't even play TF2 (well, I can, but you don't want "dial up" guy on your team). Hope Portal and EP2 are everything people are saying.

Portal and EP2 are damn good, but I don't think EP2 is really worth $30. More like $20. It's a decent length though; still not done with it after some long, satisfying play yesterday.

5to1baby1in5

Golden Member
Apr 27, 2001
Orange Box will be $25 at Best Buy on black friday.

Thought I'd just throw that out.

Kind of changet everyone's math.

:cool:

videogames101

Diamond Member
Aug 24, 2005
ORANGE BOX IS AMAZING /thread

honestly, TF2 is worth the $50 alone, and portal is just... awesome.

potato28

Diamond Member
Jun 27, 2005
I still haven't bought the Orange Box, I'm gonna look for it on Boxing Day when it drops a little.

TanisHalfElven

Diamond Member
Jun 29, 2001
Originally posted by: RandomFool
Why do people keep complaining about this? 50 buck for 3 games is awesome. TF2 is worth 50 bucks alone.

apparently from the reviews so is portal. my copy arrives in a few days.... can't wait.