UT2004 Gone Gold! Release target is March 15th!

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

79Blazer

Golden Member
Nov 12, 2003
Originally posted by: Kai920
Originally posted by: fermium
Originally posted by: Kai920
I keep hearing good things bout it... I yearn for some ultra-realistic WWII action :) its not BF1942, not COD so I am going to try it! Have you?

edit: thanks for the edit :cool: those
rolleye.gif
can get out of hand in a hurry
rolleye.gif

I've tried a few, and although some have been OK, I still prefer a WWII based game rather than a mod to make a WWII game.
I hear ya. I'd prefer a pure WWII based game too, but don't underestimate the power of mods. Just look at desert combat. btw, which other wwii mods have you tried? Only thing I've played is DoD...

Anyway, I hear this Red Orchestra is a whole different beast. When the devs do come out with version 2.0 for UT2k4, why not give it a try with a free download? I've been craving to try it, but I held off buying UT2k3 just for this mod (which I've seen a lot of people in the RO boards do)...

Oh, I'm going to try it out, dun get me wrong. I usually try something out first before I knock it. The reason I jumped the gun and said what I did was because I really didn't like ALOT of the mods i've tried, and expect WWII mods to suck butt. That could also be due to the talent, or lack thereof from the people who had a hand in making the mods.

I enjoy DC on a daily basis, there isn't/hasn't been a good modern warfare game released, compared to DC anyway but that's a mod, and can't be considered a stand-alone game.;)

Either way i'll dis-continue my babbling. But i'll try it out when they release it.

Conky

Lifer
May 9, 2001
I will have to have this if not only for the huge following. You can always find a UT2k3 game day or night. Finding good action in a lot of FPS games after a few weeks of the game being out is tough for a lot of games. Plus I own people left and right ever since Unreal so it's all good. :D I kicked CliffryB's ass in some one on one but he still won't admit it. hehe

Extrarius

Jul 8, 2001
Originally posted by: nsafreak
Originally posted by: Extrarius[...]
[...]And your machine specs are...?
AMD XP 2400+, 640 MB DDR PC2100, Radeon 8500
Yeah, I know, not great, but it runs most stuff at decent speeds on medium settings, and I figure on lowest settings it should run ut2k4 ok, but it doesn't. I'll probably be buying a next gen card sometime 'soon', and maybe some faster ram (my system supports up to 3200, but I've been holding out cuz its been working good until now).

rh71

No Lifer
Aug 28, 2001
Originally posted by: CChaos
Originally posted by: Electric Amish
Where's a good place to pre-order?

Most people seem to order from ebgames but I ordered from gamestop because eb was blocked at work.

Special Edition DVD at Gamestop You'll need a DVD Rom drive of course, but dig the free Logitech headset for chatting with your teammates.
Hmm, I thought the DVD version was going to be like $74.99 while the CD version was the $39.99 price. What happened to that ?

Also, does anyone know if the headset comes packaged with the game or do we have to "pick up" each of these separately ? I'm having a friend buy it for me so I need to make sure... thx.

rh71

No Lifer
Aug 28, 2001
Originally posted by: rh71

Most people seem to order from ebgames but I ordered from gamestop because eb was blocked at work.

Special Edition DVD at Gamestop You'll need a DVD Rom drive of course, but dig the free Logitech headset for chatting with your teammates.
Hmm, I thought the DVD version was going to be like $74.99 while the CD version was the $39.99 price. What happened to that ?

Also, does anyone know if the headset comes packaged with the game or do we have to "pick up" each of these separately ? I'm having a friend buy it for me so I need to make sure... thx.
^ ?

SarcasticDwarf

Diamond Member
Jun 8, 2001
Originally posted by: Extrarius
Originally posted by: nsafreak
Originally posted by: Extrarius[...]
[...]And your machine specs are...?
AMD XP 2400+, 640 MB DDR PC2100, Radeon 8500
Yeah, I know, not great, but it runs most stuff at decent speeds on medium settings, and I figure on lowest settings it should run ut2k4 ok, but it doesn't. I'll probably be buying a next gen card sometime 'soon', and maybe some faster ram (my system supports up to 3200, but I've been holding out cuz its been working good until now).

I run a XP1800, 1024PC2100 and a 9600p with all UT2k4Demo settings maxed.

Extrarius

Jul 8, 2001
I can do that too, because the setting don't effect my FPS much. At lowest settings 800*600 I get 40-80 FPS (and it varies constantly). On highest settings @ 800*600, I get 30-60 FPS.
Neither amount of FPS is good, and the fact that the fps varies wildly (even when nobody else is in view and there is no firefight) makes it very difficult to play sometimes.

suklee

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
Originally posted by: rh71

rh71, I believe the headset "comes" in the box, so no separate picking up necessary.

I checked with my local software shop yesterday, and they should be getting the DVD version in next week. Gonna go pick it up... its been a while since I bought a game :)

PS - for any one who's interested, I found a video with some Red Orchestra gameplay clips - link

It looks soooo good, but I'm at work, so no sound :p