USB ports (except for USB 3.1) disabled suddenly but work after power reset

Akshaykumar2609

Jan 19, 2017
This is first PC build and I am having issues where my USB ports would disable as soon as I run a game or any high power draw situation. I have my keyboard, mouse connected via USBs so I am forced to shut it down since my computer is not responsive. After I physically turn the CPU switch off and let it cool off for a few minutes and turn it back on I magically see they are enabled again. I am running Windows 10 with a Seasonic 6SSR-650RM 80 Plus Gold - Semi Modular PSU and I have a GTX 1070 EVGA GPU on an Asus Z170 Progaming Aura Motherboard. I tried searching several forums and also tried to uncheck the "save power....." on the device manager tab but nothing seems to work. I am guessing it is some PSU issue which is disabling the ports during high power draw.
I would really appreciate any help, I am really frustrated with this issue

Edit: I discovered usb 3.1 port is not disabled. And when I plugin usb devices on other ports (2.0 and 3.0) I see the error "Windows has stopped this device because it has reported problems. (Code 43)" on the device manager

Ketchup

Elite Member
Sep 1, 2002
Interesting the Asmedmedia ports are fine (3.1) but the others (Intel) are giving you problems. I would probably get the latest drivers from Asus, and you may want to get the latest Bios while you are there. I would also recommend turning off Windows 10 driver updater, JIK.

Also, are you running a USB hub or splitter? or any powered USB devices (hard drive, etc)?

C1

Platinum Member
Feb 21, 2008
Look in your BIOS under IO Devices and see what settings are available for USB ports. (I set mine to "Legacy.")

Be sure to install the drivers from the disk that came with your motherboard.

Click OK then Device Manager will uninstall the device. ... After uninstalling the driver, in Device Manager, click Scan for hardware changes in menu at the top of the Window. Then Device Manager will scan your system and automatically reinstall the device. After you follow steps above, the Code 43 error should resolve.

http://www.pcworld.com/article/2902...ly-fix-many-mysterious-hardware-failures.html

VeryCharBroiled

Oct 6, 2008
modern usb ports have self resetting "fuses" maybe something is drawing too much current. the cooling off period allows the fuses to reset.

C1

Platinum Member
Feb 21, 2008
Mice & Keyboards are low current draw devices.

When I connect something to my Asus system that tries to draw too much juice (> 500 ma) on the USB port then an unequivocal notice saying so pops up & the current is limited to the max 500 ma for USB 2 (and I think 900 ma for USB 3).

It is possible that the drivers for USB Hubs being used have incorrect or incompatible sensing threshold levels for your chipset. Install the drivers from the disk that came with your motherboard.