US to allow processed chicken (nuggets) to be imported from China

Discussion in 'Politics and News' started by Engineer, Sep 4, 2013.

1. drebo

drebo Diamond Member

I just love leftist hypocrisy. When it comes to the middle east and intervening in every conflict in the world, it's "global economy is good, we need to protect it!" But when it comes to actual companies actually using a global economy, they bitch and moan how we need protective tariffs and shit.

It's hilarious.

That said, this is a dumb idea. But, while country of origin stickers aren't NECESSARY, you can bet that US producers will be sticking "Grown and Processed in the US" stickers on their product.

But, if the product out of China is just as good, why not use it?

2. Acanthus

Acanthus Lifer

You do not understand basic economics.

Show me a country with
    a.) a healthy economy

and

b.) a gini index over .6

at any point in history, go ahead, you can even use the wholly inaccurate 1800s and earlier time periods, all nations, ever.

"free market" economics is a sham to get people to support inequality.

Regulation and Fair Wages absolutely make stronger economies and stronger nations. Numbers don't lie.

3. HamburgerBoy

HamburgerBoy Lifer

[​IMG]

lol, so cherry pick Bosnia and a few African countries with incredible racial/ethnic issues, and somehow you mentioning that income equality is higher in countries with relatively little international trade (see Mongolia for the flipside of your argument) is supposed to mean anything?

4. boomerang

boomerang Lifer

Let's simplify this in terms that nearly everyone can understand.

What happens if you decide to quit making your car payments?

What happens if you borrow money from a loan shark and don't pay it back?

What happens when you borrow ginormous sums of money from China?

Bitching, pissing and moaning about this isn't going to change anything. Unfortunately, elections aren't going to change anything either. So, what to do? Limit the powers of politicians through a process built into the Constitution. http://conventionofstates.com/

22 minutes long but worth every minute.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wrp6uewkFTk#t=21

#54 boomerang, Sep 5, 2013
    Last edited: Sep 5, 2013
  5. child of wonder

child of wonder Diamond Member

My wife and I have made our own chicken tenders in the past. Now I think we should make a huge batch of chicken nuggets and freeze them. Gets the whole family involved in an activity together, they're cheaper than store bought, and we actually know what's in the food.

6. SpatiallyAware

Wow......... Spoken like a true lazy modern progressive.

7. nehalem256

nehalem256 Lifer

Are you suggesting that China is going to come break our legs?:biggrin:

8. Fern

Fern Elite Member <br> Super Moderator
    Super Moderator

I'll be making own too.

I'm not eating crap from China. No damn way.

Fern

9. child of wonder

child of wonder Diamond Member

Even worse, the "grilled" chicken fast food places sell are preprocessed chicken that have already been cooked and they just heat them up in the back on the griddle under a lid with water sprayed in.

I'm sure even those will start coming from China.

10. Acanthus

Acanthus Lifer

A 2009 map doesn't show any trends at all.

You have to look at nations, how their index changed, and how the market reacted.

As inequality rises, economies stagnate.

Sure, there are loads of other variables, but the gini index is pretty much agreed upon because there are not many outliers. Modern china is the only exception I can think of, and that is driven by massive exports to the US and artificial capital coming from the states.

By the way, the US gini has been rising for 30 straight years.

11. Acanthus

Acanthus Lifer

Nice rebuttal.

12. Gintaras

Gintaras Golden Member

Don 't rush saying that "nearly everyone can understand it":

There are thousands, maybe millions who think(well..those can't really THINK at all) that it will be a Fairly Tale - borrow - spend, borrow - spend...no return...never...

I would like to know, could I borrow from nehalem256 every week a $100 without paying anything back - week after week, month after month - I come to nehalem256 every friday, he lends me $100 every friday and I'm not paying him back nothing, just keep borrowing...$520 a year, $5200 in ten years...what nehalem256 gonna do? break my legs?

13. Zaap

Zaap Diamond Member

Forget chickens. Whatever you do, avoid the Chinese fish-sticks.

They keep the chickens in wire cages above the fish-farms. Guess what the fish eat.

14. Gintaras

Gintaras Golden Member

When????

What you gonna wear tomorrow for work? Go naked? Underwear - made in china, socks - made in china, shirt - made in china...

But you can spend some your earned money - american dollars on product that made in US - beer and prostitutes...

I just wonder, why can't US outsource The War? We could save shitload of money to eliminate Pentagon...why not to outsource Pentagon to some other country - China, Thailand...etc...???
    Maybe they could do the task - to attack Syria instead of us doing that? any other country we choose to attack?

If they can make an underwear for us, process chicken for us, can't they fight wars for us?

Big corporations - Pepsi, Coca-Cola, McDonalds will contribute to US economy - TV ads will cost a lot of $$$ during live televised war...

15. rommelrommel

rommelrommel Platinum Member

If you owe the bank 1000 dollars, you have a problem.

If you owe the bank a few trillion, the bank has the problem.

Especially if you have the biggest military in the world to back you...

16. Engineer

Engineer Elite Member

Not sure why, but socks (several brands including Hanes, Fruit of the Loom, etc) have been 'partially' made in the USA. Every pair I've bought over the last few years has been made in the US. The other stuff you mentioned.....not so much.

17. mect

mect Senior member

Not only that, but it looks like the USDA will be moving towards employees of a plant performing inspections previously performed by USDA workers.

And, chicken lovers, brace yourselves: There's more. A report suggests chicken inspections here in the U.S. might be poised to take a turn for the worse. The Government Accountability Office this week it has serious "questions about the validity" of the new procedures for inspecting poultry across the country.

Basically, these changes would replace many USDA inspectors on chicken processing lines with employees from the poultry companies themselves. The USDA has been piloting the new procedures, which will save money and significantly speed up processing lines, in 29 chicken plants. As The Washington Post , the plan is to roll out the new procedures eventually to "most of the country's 239 chicken and 96 turkey plants."

The problem? According to the GAO, the USDA did a poor job of evaluating the effectiveness of the pilot programs it has in place.

NPR Article

18. Linux23

Linux23 Lifer

where did all of the consumers go? well most of them will have some sort of ailment or be dead caused by the processed crap these fast food chains are pumping out, just to satisfy the bottom line. :p

19. Exterous

Exterous Lifer

Not to say the USDA doesn't have problems with conflicts of interest infesting their politics but both the USDA and the FDA have reported for years (Over a decade at this point I believe) that their funding levels (set by Congress) do not allow them to meet the food inspections requirements (set by Congress) so it doesn't surprise me at some of the lengths the cost cutting measures are going to

Older article but the funding for the Food part of the FDA and USDA hasn't changed much and it gives a better background on some of the problems:
    http://articles.washingtonpost.com/2011-05-30/politics/35263394_1_food-safety-pew-health-group-food-safety-laws

20. tweaker2

tweaker2 Diamond Member

With mega corporations making huge profits, with CEO's constantly garnering ever increasing exorbitant salaries and bonuses, with the economy for the wealthy improving, with Wall Street not bitching at all about "we need more deregulating", with Monsanto et al getting everything their way, with the ultra rich not whimpering a peep about "how bad" they got things right now, with our politicians being sock puppets for the rich, with all of those big businesses being showered with tax shelters, subsidies, etc. from our politicians and all of them, ALL of them operating under the banner of "greed is good, greedier is great, greediest is downright godly" and with the middle class and the poor much worse off and getting much more worse all the time, we have folks like you still thinking the way you do.

Why is that?

21. Linux23

Linux23 Lifer

amen tweaker2

22. Acanthus

Acanthus Lifer

As long as the price of food stays low, we wont have a French Revolution repeat.

Unrest will most assuredly grow as inequality rises, though.

23. Zaap

Zaap Diamond Member

Because someone has to be a grown up and pay the taxes to support the dregs of society like you.

You leftists get crazier and dumber by the day. No one is EVER going to pay you anything because your contribution to this world is a net NEGATIVE. You take up space/food/oxygen/resources and sit around and demand everyone else clean up your filth, feed and clothe you, then you want to yell at those that do as greedy.

Harsh? Maybe so, but someone now and then has to tell you babified coddled useless assholes the truth.

And talk about greedy. There's no person on this earth as greedy as a stupid entitlement mentality leftist puke.

#73 Zaap, Sep 6, 2013
    Last edited: Sep 6, 2013
  24. woolfe9998

woolfe9998 Diamond Member

Does this affect just McDonald Chicken McNuggets or are their other products?

I'm just trying to determine what to not eat.

25. tweaker2

tweaker2 Diamond Member

And why is it that just because I spoke the factual truths of the matter, and that I wholeheartedly support the middle class of which I'm from that you think I'm a leftist? There's lots and lots of Repubs and Independents from the middle class too. Or are you implying that anyone from the middle class who supports economic policies that favor said class is "leftist" somehow?