US State department's entire senior management team quits OR White House doesn't ask them to stay

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Jhhnn

IN MEMORIAM
Nov 11, 1999
...and the devastation we leave in our wake.

57ffca2e1b0000df1cef6deb.jpeg

Migrants step over dead bodies while being rescued by members of Proactiva Open Arms nongovernmental organization in the Mediterranean Sea, some 12 nautical miles north of Libya, on Oct. 4.

And a quick duh-version, huh?

glenn1

Lifer
Sep 6, 2000
holy wtf?!

were they political appointees?
or career people?

Political appointees, albeit ones which were originally appointed by Dubya and served through both Obama terms. While some senior level appointees are political animals which seek to advance nakedly partisan aims, there are also many who are fairly apolitical and are truly about serving the nation. I'm guessing that some of the folks who just resigned who ran mundane departments like overseas embassy security or HR weren't in the roles to score political points for the Democratic or Republican parties. And even if they were I doubt they'd have much influence on the big picture political issues consuming cycles on Capital Hill or nightly newscasts.

bshole

Diamond Member
Mar 12, 2013
In unrelated news, a dozen or so Russian nationals assumed residence in the State department today.....

kk that's a joke....

mnewsham

Lifer
Oct 2, 2010
the folks who just resigned who ran mundane departments like overseas embassy security or HR weren't in the roles to score political points for the Democratic or Republican parties

Well they aren't run of the mill people for sure.

The officials were Patrick Kennedy, Under Secretary of State for Management, Assistant Secretary of State for Administration Joyce Anne Barr, Assistant Secretary of State for Consular Affairs Michele Bond and Ambassador Gentry Smith, director of the Office of Foreign Missions. All four of the officials served under both Democratic and Republican administrations.

“Diplomatic security, consular affairs, there’s just not a corollary that exists outside the department, and you at least can afford a learning curve in these areas where issues can quickly become matters of life and death,” he said. “The muscle memory is critical. These retirements are a big loss. They leave a void. These are very difficult people to replace.”

Last edited:
Reactions: DarthKyrie
Nov 30, 2006
And a quick duh-version, huh?
These people currently leaving the State Department (immediately after they got word they were going to be fired*) served under Clinton and shared in her "signature moment in her four-year tenure". Take a good, long look at that picture which graphically depicts her "signature moment" and the human suffering which persists to this day, nearly 6 years after our "human rights" intervention in Libya. Or just ignore it and chalk it up as diversion since it's apparently difficult for you to connect the dots here.

This is what the draining the swamp looks like. Good riddance imo.

* http://nypost.com/2017/01/26/senior-staff-resigns-en-masse-from-state-department/
But Administration sources told CNN that the four were fired because Team Trump wants State to chart a new course.

Kennedy, a nine-year veteran, had been active in the transition from John Kerry to the former-Exxon/Mobil chief, and was said to want to remain in his post.

But once word got out that Team Trump was looking to give him the boot and hire someone else, he and three of his top aides bailed, the Washington Post said.

glenn1

Lifer
Sep 6, 2000
Well they aren't run of the mill people for sure.

By titles they're the folks who are in charge of things like administration (i.e. making sure that staff has enough paperclips, the electricity bill for the embassy in Jakarta gets paid, and the consular officer in Nairobi takes their mandatory cyber-security training). I hardly think they're the types to totally derail Trump's foreign policy ambitions but I guess you never know.

mnewsham

Lifer
Oct 2, 2010
By titles they're the folks who are in charge of things like administration (i.e. making sure that staff has enough paperclips, the electricity bill for the embassy in Jakarta gets paid, and the consular officer in Nairobi takes their mandatory cyber-security training). I hardly think they're the types to totally derail Trump's foreign policy ambitions but I guess you never know.

I think the main point of contention is there are no private sector positions which can be directly related to the DoS positions they filled. I highly doubt you'd do a job for 8+ years and not pick a few tricks of the trade. Who has experience in these matters that the trump admin can go to with confidence? I doubt they'll want to use someone already at DoS, so they're bringing in new people now without any prior experience?

I'll wait and see before I judge, but I just can't see how this will end up going well.

bshole

Diamond Member
Mar 12, 2013

You can understand why they quit though? Politics aside, would you want Trump as your boss? My understanding is that he is the master of the scapegoat. If something goes wrong, Trump will blame you, fire you, sue you, out you to the press and blowtorch the bridge. Better to get out now before he can ruin your career.

Jhhnn

IN MEMORIAM
Nov 11, 1999
These people currently leaving the State Department (immediately after they got word they were going to be fired*) served under Clinton and shared in her "signature moment in her four-year tenure". Take a good, long look at that picture which graphically depicts her "signature moment" and the human suffering which persists to this day, nearly 6 years after our "human rights" intervention in Libya. Or just ignore it and chalk it up as diversion since it's apparently difficult for you to connect the dots here.

* http://nypost.com/2017/01/26/senior-staff-resigns-en-masse-from-state-department/
But Administration sources told CNN that the four were fired because Team Trump wants State to chart a new course.

Kennedy, a nine-year veteran, had been active in the transition from John Kerry to the former-Exxon/Mobil chief, and was said to want to remain in his post.

But once word got out that Team Trump was looking to give him the boot and hire someone else, he and three of his top aides bailed, the Washington Post said.

And their replacements are.... kinda like the "replace" part about the ACA, right?

Maybe the Sarah! will get an appointment after all...

More likely John Bolton, the Yosemite Sam of international diplomacy.

glenn1

Lifer
Sep 6, 2000
I think the main point of contention is there are no private sector positions which can be directly related to the DoS positions they filled. I highly doubt you'd do a job for 8+ years and not pick a few tricks of the trade. Who has experience in these matters that the trump admin can go to with confidence? I doubt they'll want to use someone already at DoS, so they're bringing in new people now without any prior experience?

I'll wait and see before I judge, but I just can't see how this will end up going well.

I agree and that was my point, these folks had somewhat specialized skills that don't seem to have much policy relevance if any and they got broomed out the door. It's Trump's admin to run as he sees fit but I can't see how he possibly gains from this.

You can understand why they quit though? Politics aside, would you want Trump as your boss? My understanding is that he is the master of the scapegoat. If something goes wrong, Trump will blame you, fire you, sue you, out you to the press and blowtorch the bridge. Better to get out now before he can ruin your career.

I don't begrudge anyone for making the proper career choice for themselves regardless of motivation. Being in "public service" doesn't mean you have to accept whatever cr@p that comes down from the top. Retention directly reflects the qualities of the boss and this isn't a good early development for the new big cheese.

Jhhnn

IN MEMORIAM
Nov 11, 1999

This cartoon comes to mind. the caption is "These smug pilots have lost touch with regular passengers like us. Who thinks I should fly the plane?"

170109_a20630-1000.jpg

Jhhnn

IN MEMORIAM
Nov 11, 1999
I agree and that was my point, these folks had somewhat specialized skills that don't seem to have much policy relevance if any and they got broomed out the door. It's Trump's admin to run as he sees fit but I can't see how he possibly gains from this.

I don't begrudge anyone for making the proper career choice for themselves regardless of motivation. Being in "public service" doesn't mean you have to accept whatever cr@p that comes down from the top. Retention directly reflects the qualities of the boss and this isn't a good early development for the new big cheese.

Maybe it'll be like the Apprentice where somebody gets fired every week. Maybe that's the whole point. I'm sure plenty of people are willing to subject themselves to it.

brandonbull

Diamond Member
May 3, 2005
This might have something to do with the fact that Trump has been in office less than a week and he's already trying to start a war with Mexico.
Or he is going to start making people work for their paycheck.

Hayabusa Rider

Admin Emeritus & Elite Member
Jan 26, 2000

Kennedy and people like him are not about paperclips. They make the execution of the department possible and know the intricacies of the bureaucracy and how to make it work. Trump can make any policy he likes but enacting it? That just became far far more difficult. These are the people who handle logistics, and any military man worth his salt will tell you that there is no battle that can be won without proper support.

agent00f

Lifer
Jun 9, 2016

Always funny when conservatives blame centrists for being somewhat conservative.

Jul 9, 2009
Maybe President trump told them how he plans on making Me
I'm not trying to be a dick in asking them that.

I'm sick of people just emotionally responding -- I want some reasoning behind a statement. Why is he happy they are gone? What did he have against them? I want to know so maybe I can be happy they are gone too.
You seriously want me to take time and effort in giving you reasoned arguments why State Department establishment officials leaving their posts is basically inconsequential to the Trump administration while at the same time some other poster is accusing me of being with the KKK and being a little bitch ? Sorry, but it's not going to happen. As long as personal attacks are not only tolerated, but applauded in the forum you stand little or no chance of having serious political discussions in here. I just wish I was more successful at resisting nasty responses of my own.