US State department's entire senior management team quits OR White House doesn't ask them to stay

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Feb 16, 2005
Maybe President trump told them how he plans on making Me

You seriously want me to take time and effort in giving you reasoned arguments why State Department establishment officials leaving their posts is basically inconsequential to the Trump administration while at the same time some other poster is accusing me of being with the KKK and being a little bitch ? Sorry, but it's not going to happen. As long as personal attacks are not only tolerated, but applauded in the forum you stand little or no chance of having serious political discussions in here. I just wish I was more successful at resisting nasty responses of my own.
well aren't you the special little snowflake.
You know you have an ignore feature/function for a reason. And to his credit, he was trying to have a dialogue with you, why, I do not know, I believe you're long past reasonable discussion with your blind drumpf adoration.
But he's a better person than I to make that effort.

momeNt

Diamond Member
Jan 26, 2011
This cartoon comes to mind. the caption is "These smug pilots have lost touch with regular passengers like us. Who thinks I should fly the plane?"

170109_a20630-1000.jpg

A junior senator with 3 years in Washington (7 in Illinois) runs for President, might as well be a weekend pilot without enough hours to fly unsupervised compared to the big league politicians in Washington. So please, spare us all that it takes somebody with a bigly pedigree of being a Washington insider.

Obama did an excellent job with, by comparison, very little experience being a politician compared to others before him. I won't let you take that away from him, or knock Obama down a peg because of his inexperience. His performance speaks for itself, regardless of who he was beforehand.

Homerboy

Lifer
Mar 1, 2000
You seriously want me to take time and effort in giving you reasoned arguments why State Department establishment officials leaving their posts is basically inconsequential to the Trump administration while at the same time some other poster is accusing me of being with the KKK and being a little bitch ? Sorry, but it's not going to happen. As long as personal attacks are not only tolerated, but applauded in the forum you stand little or no chance of having serious political discussions in here. I just wish I was more successful at resisting nasty responses of my own.

You didn't say it was "inconsequential to the Trump administration" though. You said "good riddance" which implies that you are happy to see them leave for some reason. That's what I'm trying to figure out. If you believe it's good they are leaving, I want to know why. If I should be happy about them being gone, I'd like to know about it and you seemed to have reason.

Reactions: DarthKyrie

Blackjack200

Lifer
May 28, 2007
A junior senator with 3 years in Washington (7 in Illinois) runs for President, might as well be a weekend pilot without enough hours to fly unsupervised compared to the big league politicians in Washington. So please, spare us all that it takes somebody with a bigly pedigree of being a Washington insider.

Obama did an excellent job with, by comparison, very little experience being a politician compared to others before him. I won't let you take that away from him, or knock Obama down a peg because of his inexperience. His performance speaks for itself, regardless of who he was beforehand.

Obama was a constitutional law professor at Harvard and had spent basically his entire career in public policy.

momeNt

Diamond Member
Jan 26, 2011
Obama was a constitutional law professor at Harvard and had spent basically his entire career in public policy.

That's what a rich guy does too. They lobby their interests forward and participate in politics and wealth preservation just as much as a politician or lobbyist. I can maybe see the argument for why a Joe Schmoe shouldn't be elected, but Donald Trump? C'mon.

soundforbjt

Lifer
Feb 15, 2002
That's what a rich guy does too. They lobby their interests forward and participate in politics and wealth preservation just as much as a politician or lobbyist. I can maybe see the argument for why a Joe Schmoe shouldn't be elected, but Donald Trump? C'mon.
But one did it for the benefit of the "people" and one did it to benefit "himself.

momeNt

Diamond Member
Jan 26, 2011
But one did it for the benefit of the "people" and one did it to benefit "himself.

How they learn Washington does not matter. It's what they do once they are there. Trump has gone on record that he no longer cares about his personal wealth, or his hotel business.

Just like what they do after does not matter. I can't begrudge the Clinton's enormous personal enrichment once they left office, while they were in office, they did wonderful things.

Blackjack200

Lifer
May 28, 2007

Yeah, I see what you mean. Donald Trump and Barak Obama were similarly qualified for the presidency. Thanks.

soundforbjt

Lifer
Feb 15, 2002
How they learn Washington does not matter. It's what they do once they are there. Trump has gone on record that he no longer cares about his personal wealth, or his hotel business.

Just like what they do after does not matter. I can't begrudge the Clinton's enormous personal enrichment once they left office, while they were in office, they did wonderful things.
Seriously, you actually believe this? You don't think he cares about the businesses he built up and is currently run by his sons and will be ran by him again once he leaves office?

bshole

Diamond Member
Mar 12, 2013
These people currently leaving the State Department (immediately after they got word they were going to be fired*) served under Clinton and shared in her "signature moment in her four-year tenure". Take a good, long look at that picture which graphically depicts her "signature moment" and the human suffering which persists to this day, nearly 6 years after our "human rights" intervention in Libya. Or just ignore it and chalk it up as diversion since it's apparently difficult for you to connect the dots here.

This is what the draining the swamp looks like. Good riddance imo.

Perhaps this is problem of definitions. When I heard draining the swamp, I thought of corrupt special interests with their filthy money outright buying votes and enacting policy via their political proxies thus denying ordinary people control over their own government. Any objective observer would have to admit that rather than improving, the problem of special interests appears to have worsened dramatically within Trumps Presidency

I am not sure how getting rid of bureaucrats who are there to follow the orders of their political chieftains qualifies as draining the swamp. Would firing the clerical staff of corrupt Senators stop their corruption? I am seriously not making the connection here. It seems to me that this is typical scapegoating.

God fucking forbid that we actually go after the rich and powerful who are corrupting everything. They are pristine. No, lets go after functionaries with no power except to follow orders. Then lets crow about our great success in draining the swamp while stamping the accelerator pedal of special interest money to the floor.

Pathetic.

momeNt

Diamond Member
Jan 26, 2011
Yeah, I see what you mean. Donald Trump and Barak Obama were similarly qualified for the presidency. Thanks.

I'm not going to accept the "Hillary in 2008" line of thinking that Hillary puts forth a lifetime of experience, McCain puts forth a lifetime of experience, and Obama puts forth a speech he made in 2002. Obama's speech in 2002 was freaking awesome, it captured the imagination and hopes of a nation. Trump did the same thing basically. Don't agree with what these idiots think that only they and their friends are good enough for Washington. RESIST!

momeNt

Diamond Member
Jan 26, 2011
Seriously, you actually believe this? You don't think he cares about the businesses he built up and is currently run by his sons and will be ran by him again once he leaves office?

I'm willing to give him the benefit of the doubt. Just like I did an inexperienced junior senator from Kenya, Illinois.

The only thing I disliked about Obama was his stance on guns, aside from that, really a very very good guy.

Jhhnn

IN MEMORIAM
Nov 11, 1999

Obama is also a Constitutional scholar & a former community organizer, obviously a political role. Trump has zero experience in govt.

momeNt

Diamond Member
Jan 26, 2011
Obama is also a Constitutional scholar & a former community organizer, obviously a political role. Trump has zero experience in govt.

Everybody agreed he had effectively no experience in Washington. Navigating local politics is a completely different ballgame than the big house in DC. I have the quotes to back it up from 2008. Don't revise history on me. He did a great job despite his experience. I won't let anybody take that away from him, or justify why he belonged there. He belonged there because of his message, not because of teaching constitutional law. That's ridiculous to even say that.

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
I'm not going to accept the "Hillary in 2008" line of thinking that Hillary puts forth a lifetime of experience, McCain puts forth a lifetime of experience, and Obama puts forth a speech he made in 2002. Obama's speech in 2002 was freaking awesome, it captured the imagination and hopes of a nation. Trump did the same thing basically. Don't agree with what these idiots think that only they and their friends are good enough for Washington. RESIST!

That was 2004, bro. ;)

agent00f

Lifer
Jun 9, 2016
It's even funnier when liberals attempt to desperately shift blame to conservatives for their own foreign policy failures.

This is why trying to please american conservatives is an exercise in futility, they'll just blame you for any failures from their own ideology.

Jhhnn

IN MEMORIAM
Nov 11, 1999
I'm willing to give him the benefit of the doubt. Just like I did an inexperienced junior senator from Kenya, Illinois.

The only thing I disliked about Obama was his stance on guns, aside from that, really a very very good guy.

Policy-wise, a Clinton presidency would have been more of the same. In that respect, the Trump Admin promises to be GWB 2.0 with less competence.

momeNt

Diamond Member
Jan 26, 2011
Don't tell me you believe him.

Alternative facts! Like the ones that don't come out of his mouth, but from some pundit with a tinfoil hat.

That was 2004, bro. ;)

Hillary said 2002. Maybe that's why she lost.

http://www.cbsnews.com/news/clinton-says-she-and-mccain-offer-experience-obama-offers-speeches/

FORT WORTH, TEXAS -- Hillary Clinton told reporters that both she and the presumtive Republican nominee John McCain offer the experience to be ready to tackle any crisis facing the country under their watch, but Barack Obama simply offers more rhetoric. "I think you'll be able to imagine many things Senator McCain will be able to say," she said. "He's never been the president, but he will put forth his lifetime of experience. I will put forth my lifetime of experience. Senator Obama will put forth a speech he made in 2002." Clinton was referring to Obama's anti-war speech he delivered in Chicago before entering the United States Senate.

momeNt

Diamond Member
Jan 26, 2011
Policy-wise, a Clinton presidency would have been more of the same. In that respect, the Trump Admin promises to be GWB 2.0 with less competence.

GWB let the horrible AWB expire in 2004, but that was mostly from ineptitude as he was on the record for supporting it. Trump has a pretty clear cut plan to liberate the 2nd amendment, and for that I commend and support him.

At my core I think we're going to be OK.

Jhhnn

IN MEMORIAM
Nov 11, 1999
Everybody agreed he had effectively no experience in Washington. Navigating local politics is a completely different ballgame than the big house in DC. I have the quotes to back it up from 2008. Don't revise history on me. He did a great job despite his experience. I won't let anybody take that away from him, or justify why he belonged there. He belonged there because of his message, not because of teaching constitutional law. That's ridiculous to even say that.

I said he possessed qualifications that Trump lacks. He won on the basis of his message & governed on the basis of his knowledge & character. Trump will do the same based on his lack thereof.