US sort of forgets about Afganistan aid

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

GTaudiophile

Lifer
Oct 24, 2000
We still have thousands of troops in Afghanistan...and millions of dollars in aid is going there as well. I wouldn't call that forgetting.

Nitemare

Lifer
Feb 8, 2001
Originally posted by: flavio
Originally posted by: koryo

The world is full of brutal dictators, and I don't see us going after any of the others. Bush would have more credibility if he had started with someone like Robert Mugabe or Kim Jong Il, who didn't have any oil or "history" with the Bush family.

Well said.

Mugabe would be pointless, he would just be replaced by a Mugabe clone. Kim Jong should be worrying China and Japan not us. If they think it is cool to have a crazy guy with nukes as their neighbor, hey more power to them.

Could someone please point out the oil wells in Afghanistan and Yugoslavia, I for the life of me cannot locate them. while you are at it, point out the ones in France especially the ones on Normandy and Omaha beach

Thraxen

Diamond Member
Dec 3, 2001
Could someone please point out the oil wells in Afghanistan and Yugoslavia, I for the life of me cannot locate them. while you are at it, point out the ones in France especially the ones on Normandy and Omaha beach

Well said. The "oil" excuse is just a cop out for people who simply want to bash Bush. All those people asking why we don't attack countries like N. Korea, why ask us? Why don't you ask the UN? They are the ones that are supposed to be handling all those things, but never do thanks to countries like France. Iraq and Afghanistan posed more immediate threats to the US due to their ties with terrorists. We can only solve so many of the world's problems at one time. Too bad most of the rest of the world won't help.

koryo

Aug 31, 2001
[
Mugabe would be pointless, he would just be replaced by a Mugabe clone. Kim Jong should be worrying China and Japan not us. If they think it is cool to have a crazy guy with nukes as their neighbor, hey more power to them.

Saddam will probably be replaced with a Saddam clone, only we won't realize it for a few years.

We attacked Afghanistan because Osama was stupid enough to have an identifiable place of residence. We were content to leave the people there to rot under the Taleban until 9/11. We'll be content to prop up Karzai for a while until we get bored with it, someone will take him out, and the Taleban or some warlord will take over. As long as Osama doesn't come back, we won't care.

Thraxen

Diamond Member
Dec 3, 2001
We were content to leave the people there to rot under the Taleban until 9/11. We'll be content to prop up Karzai for a while until we get bored with it, someone will take him out, and the Taleban or some warlord will take over. As long as Osama doesn't come back, we won't care.

So, what's your point? Where the f*ck is everybody else in these issues? Where is the UN? France, Germany, Russia, ANYBODY??? We're damned if we do and damned if we don't. When we do go in to solve a problem we are criticized for getting involved where we don't belong. If we don't, then the same damn idiots criticize us for doing nothing...like you just did. F*CK THAT.

Assimilator1

Elite Member
Nov 4, 1999
Saddam will probably be replaced with a Saddam clone, only we won't realize it for a few years.

We attacked Afghanistan because Osama was stupid enough to have an identifiable place of residence. We were content to leave the people there to rot under the Taleban until 9/11. We'll be content to prop up Karzai for a while until we get bored with it, someone will take him out, and the Taleban or some warlord will take over. As long as Osama doesn't come back, we won't care.[/quote]

Rubbish!:p

I'm not even going to bother arguing that! ,aside from which I think I already have;)

jjones

Lifer
Oct 9, 2001
Originally posted by: flavio
Originally posted by: koryo

The world is full of brutal dictators, and I don't see us going after any of the others. Bush would have more credibility if he had started with someone like Robert Mugabe or Kim Jong Il, who didn't have any oil or "history" with the Bush family.

Well said.
Not well said. I hear so many people whining about the US undermining the relevency of the UN and how the UN should stand for something in the world and world leaders should keep respect for it. Well, these opportunities are just waiting for UN involvement. What's their problem? Why the inaction by such an esteemed body?

The US, acting on its own interests, has every right to choose which battles it will face. When the "world government" gets off its collective asses and decides to do something about the Mugabes, Saddams, and Jongs of the world, you can be sure the US will be right in the thick of it with them.

koryo

Aug 31, 2001
Originally posted by: Thraxen
We were content to leave the people there to rot under the Taleban until 9/11. We'll be content to prop up Karzai for a while until we get bored with it, someone will take him out, and the Taleban or some warlord will take over. As long as Osama doesn't come back, we won't care.

So, what's your point? Where the f*ck is everybody else in these issues? Where is the UN? France, Germany, Russia, ANYBODY??? We're damned if we do and damned if we don't. When we do go in to solve a problem we are criticized for getting involved where we don't belong. If we don't, then the same damn idiots criticize us for doing nothing...like you just did. F*CK THAT.

The point is that anyone who goes around acting like we care about the people in these countries is a liar. You can make lots of justifications for the things that we do, but that isn't one of them.

zephyrprime

Diamond Member
Feb 18, 2001
I was reading about the $300 mil the US is supposed to give Afghanistan and to put it into perspective how little money that really is, my university recently spent $70 mil just to refurbish the student union.

Chadder007

Diamond Member
Oct 10, 1999
Originally posted by: Tominator
It's just another way to show less spending than there will be. Afghanistan is being rebuilt and mostly by military personnel.

Bridges, schools and hospitals are being built in every part of the country.

WeRd. We have how many thousands of troops over there still? With at least 1000 of them still there just to fight the remaining packs of Al-Queda.

Assimilator1

Elite Member
Nov 4, 1999
Yeah but your not putting it into perspective ,things cost a lot more in the USA than they would in Afghan.

koryo

The point is that anyone who goes around acting like we care about the people in these countries is a liar. You can make lots of justifications for the things that we do, but that isn't one of them.

I'm getting sick of this ,who the hell are you to say what I think or what I feel?:| ,I care about the people in Afghan & Iraq & I believe my goverment (UK) does too.What profit is there for the UK & USA goverments in invading Iraq to free them from Saddam especially when they've said they won't be taking any of their oil?.And even if you assume that's just a lie you still can't speak for me!:disgust:

koryo

Aug 31, 2001
Originally posted by: Assimilator1
Yeah but your not putting it into perspective ,things cost a lot more in the USA than they would in Afghan.

koryo

I'm getting sick of this ,who the hell are you to say what I think or what I feel?:| ,I care about the people in Afghan & Iraq & I believe my goverment (UK) does too.What profit is there for the UK & USA goverments in invading Iraq to free them from Saddam especially when they've said they won't be taking any of their oil?.And even if you assume that's just a lie you still can't speak for me!:disgust:

Almost every time we do something like this we end up leaving the people there out to dry. "Rise up against Saddam", said Bush the first to the Iraqis, "and let us know how it goes. See ya".

"You" may care about the Afghans and Iraqis, but don't kid yourself into thinking your government does. If we cared a bit about democracy in freedom in other countries we'd be on our "allies", like Hosni Mubarak, to give it a go, but we don't.

Assimilator1

Elite Member
Nov 4, 1999
Unfortunatly you're right about the 1st Gulf war ,that was disgusting how we (the allies) backed off after we told them to rise up ,I don't blame them (Iraqi people) for being very cautious this time.

Re other none democratic countries ,I guess that its a case (with some at least) that they don't treat people too bad so we(goverments) won't hassle them too much about it ,but I don't really know much about Egypt so I can't say there.
Anyway ,just because other countries are not democratic doesn't mean to say we should just stand by & do nothing for the really bad goverments (like Iraq)

Btw I maybe coming from a slightly different angle here cos I'm from the UK