Question 'US Navy Installing AMD Epyc, Nvida Volta-Powered Supercomputer' - Tom's

UsandThem

Elite Member
May 4, 2000
https://www.tomshardware.com/news/us-navy-supercomputer-cray-amd-nvidia
The U.S. Navy Department of Defense Supercomputing Resource Center (DSRC) on Monday announced plans to install its first supercomputer with a peak performance of over 10 petaflops (12.8 petaflops to be exact).
Packing 12.8 petaflops would qualify the supercomputer to be one the top 25 most powerful computers today. However, the Navy won't finish installation for this supercomputer until 2021, so it's ranking may end up being lower by then.
The new Cray supercomputer will feature 290,304 AMD Epyc 7002-series processor cores, 112 Nvidia Volta V100 GPUs, a 200 gigabit per second Cray Slingshot network interconnect, 590TB of memory and 14 petabytes of usable storage.
This might rival Markfw's fleet. ;)

Assuming they are using the 64-core variation of the CPU, that's 4,536 CPUs. o_O

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
"Only" 1000 logical cores (500 Physical). LOLNICE.

I've got, hmm, 2x R5 1600, 1x R5 3600, 1x G4560, and one more R5 1600 in a rig that I might sell. (Well, I do have more PCs in the "warehouse", but not actively running, and most of them are more-or-less dual-cores, maybe a few 2C/4T G4560 CPUs kicking around, and maybe an Intel i3 and i5 quad somewhere too.)

Yeah, Mark, your fleet outdoes mine by a leeeetle bit. :p :)

Reactions: lightmanek

aigomorla

CPU, Cases&Cooling Mod PC Gaming Mod Elite Member
Super Moderator
Sep 28, 2005
But can you run Crysis????

its already been proven that a 3990 can run crysis without a gpu.
So id say Yes, he can run Crysis, and probably Oblivion on top, however the moment he tries to run Red Dead Redemption 2, his fleet will probably get sunk faster then pearl harbor.

• Haha
Reactions: Pohemi

DisEnchantment

Golden Member
Mar 3, 2017
I take this as a clear indication of Ampere not being anywhere close

I dont think that is the case. If it does it means EPYC Milan also is not close.
The new Cray supercomputer will feature 290,304 AMD Epyc 7002-series processor cores, 112 Nvidia Volta V100 GPUs, a 200 gigabit per second Cray Slingshot network interconnect, 590TB of memory and 14 petabytes of usable storage.

I think its just the deployment being slow.

Reactions: spursindonesia

DooKey

Golden Member
Nov 9, 2005
Maybe they are only using those products that's already shown to be working.

I suspect it's something like this. Volta is in good supply and ready for delivery. Ampere is still at least six months away and will probably have limited quantities for a while.

Feb 4, 2009
Serious question. I've seen you comment on a lot of threads about people using 200-280 watt CPUs for there computers and how wrong it is. But you seem to use 500 cores and 1000 threads (far, far more than that wattage) for what exactly? I've never seen you comment on what productivity you've actually done with that amount of CPU/computer resources (you're retiree as far as I can tell), which is FAR more than what a single user is using and what you seem to condemn. You seem to have a great server farm, but I've never seen you speak about how it's actually making money or productive for the amount of power you are using.

He is trying to cure cancer.
I’m serious

LikeLinus

Lifer
Jul 25, 2001
He is trying to cure cancer.
I’m serious
Oh no, seriously? Is it personal or just doing it like the SETI people?

I'm used to Reddit Homelab guys setting up stupid VM machines that have no value. I laugh when they use so many cores/memory/machines to run insignificant crap!!! I just assumed it was the same. :O

Markfw

Moderator Emeritus, Elite Member
May 16, 2002
Oh no, seriously? Is it personal or just doing it like the SETI people?

I'm used to Reddit Homelab guys setting up stupid VM machines that have no value. I laugh when they use so many cores/memory/machines to run insignificant crap!!! I just assumed it was the same. :O
There are several very highly respected distributed computing projects, with results. They have proven they have made headway. So I contribute all of my CPU and GPU horsepower to 3 projects. F@H, I am number 20 in the world. WCG, I am number 145 in the world, and Rosetta at home, I am number 78 in the world. These projects are run by Stanford university, Berkley university and IBM.

Since I have had cancer, and lost my bladder, my balance, my hearing, my prostate all to cancer, I have just a little motivation.
As for high wattage, the highest I have is the 225 watt Rome 7742. But it has 64 cores and 128 threads ! When I may have posted before on high wattage CPU's it was 8 core that have that high a wattage that I may have said bad things about,.

LikeLinus

Lifer
Jul 25, 2001
There are several very highly respected distributed computing projects, with results. They have proven they have made headway. So I contribute all of my CPU and GPU horsepower to 3 projects. F@H, I am number 20 in the world. WCG, I am number 145 in the world, and Rosetta at home, I am number 78 in the world. These projects are run by Stanford university, Berkley university and IBM.

Since I have had cancer, and lost my bladder, my balance, my hearing, my prostate all to cancer, I have just a little motivation.
As for high wattage, the highest I have is the 225 watt Rome 7742. But it has 64 cores and 128 threads ! When I may have posted before on high wattage CPU's it was 8 core that have that high a wattage that I may have said bad things about,.

You were totally correct in your comments. I didn't put it into perspective at the time. I've seen a lot about SETI and F@H, but I just always thought of it as a resource waste. I guess that is one reason why I didn't understand the wattage usage scrutiny, but it makes sense how you are using it.. That's pretty awesome that you've dedicated so much resources to help.

Years and years ago, I held a fund raiser on AGN/PC Abusers to get parts to build computers for the Ronald McDonald House. I forget how many I ended up getting parts for, but I built quite a few machines for the kids/family who spent time there. So I can very much understand why you are doing what you are doing. I just had no clue that was your goal.

Markfw

Moderator Emeritus, Elite Member
May 16, 2002
I don't want to put this on every thread, but here is what a 7742 at full load on these projects, looks like while its working:
IgbPriu.png

HutchinsonJC

Apr 15, 2007
Mark holds the #1 spot on TeamAnandTech on Folding@Home and anyone who's eyed the forums and/or participated with the project is likely to know that Mark has cancer, which is a huge drive for his donation to the project.

I've slacked pretty hard the last two winters, not that that'd put me on the map of being anything remotely close to Mark haha. I literally just cranked back up between yesterday and today, but I'm mostly just stress testing and toying around, right now.

Anyway, sometimes there's competitions among ourselves and other times there's competitions against other teams. Things usually kick up hard for the Northern Hemisphere in Winter months, as that's when everyone is using more $$ to heat their house. I've likened it before on the Distributed Computing forum section as intelligent heat. May as well burn the watts in the form of something useful for society if you can; you're burning watts to heat your house, anyway.

Someone like Mark might be able to crack a window when it's 2 degrees out, though!