US college tuition is pure lulz. Why do you guys put up with it?

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

destrekor

Lifer
Nov 18, 2005
This.

Oh Johnny spent 80k to get an English Lit degree and now he can't find a job!

Yeah I'm kind of in that boat. Finished high-school and at that point decided I was not going to go for a Computer Science/Engineering degree like I originally had planned. Didn't want to do that as a career, though I had been preparing for my CCNA for the last two years of high school.

What did I ultimately choose to pursue in college?
Well, a BA in International Studies, specialization Security & Intelligence. Minor in Military Science. One or two courses could have helped me earn a minor in Russian, but didn't take them as I had a full plate of courses left, had to be done with my degree in four years.

My degree is basically a mash between Political Science and Behavioral/Social Sciences (specific to security threats and the intelligence community circle). Basically this degree is really geared as one to prepare for a career with government agencies.
Years down the road, with a few years of experience in the civilian job market and the Army Reserve as an Officer branched Signal Corps, I might have a nice shot at getting a good career in the federal intelligence community... but that's not helping land a job with no experience during college and only a BA.

Anubis

No Lifer
Aug 31, 2001
tbqhwy.com
UC Davis is 10k/year, and I'll be here for another year -________-

Why does tuition cost so much for people who live out of state? Because they don't get charged state taxes and what not?

not all state systems are as good or cheap as CA

ObscureCaucasian

Diamond Member
Jul 23, 2006
Well, a BA in International Studies, specialization Security & Intelligence. Minor in Military Science. One or two courses could have helped me earn a minor in Russian, but didn't take them as I had a full plate of courses left, had to be done with my degree in four years.

Well the good news is you can probably do something pretty bad-ass eventually with a degree like that :p

Kirby

Lifer
Apr 10, 2006
and most of your money doesn't even go to your field, it goes to bullshit like new football stadiums.

not at my school (University of Alabama). the football program pays for itself many times over and for the other less popular sports. tuition does go to bullshit, but sports is not one of them.

my tuition for this fall semester is $3900 for 15 hours.

PowerEngineer

Diamond Member
Oct 22, 2001
Nope. They just aren't universally useful for everyone. You can't get one on your own terms. You pay what the school wants (and most of your money doesn't even go to your field, it goes to bullshit like new football stadiums), you learn at the pace they want you to (read: too slow so they can keep you there longer thus earning them more money), and you'll get the grades they want to give you (god help you if a teacher doesn't like you).

College works for some people, but for the people it doesn't work for they have to work even harder to prove that they're just as good (and probably better) than their colleagues that went to school.

Beev, I'm sorry that college evidently doesn't suit you.

That said, I suggest that your expectations may need adjusting. You shouldn't think that college is a place where you get to dictate terms. Instead, it is a place where you have an opportunity to measure up to their standards for a degree. Not everyone is suited for this kind of challenge, but that's hardly a condemnation of the college system.

I think you'll find that there are very few instances in life where you aren't going to be measured against someone else's expectations (e.g. jobs, personal relationships, parenting, etc.). As you suggest, we all have to "prove" that we're "good" in the eyes of others by their standards.

BoomerD

No Lifer
Feb 26, 2006
Why the aren't you going to Canada? Now, we all know that Canadian tuition rates are subsidized by the government, but even after that, look here:

Mount Allison University, consistently rated as giving one of the best undergrad degrees in Canada, tuition for an international student: $13.5k. That means you, American citizens, $13.5k/year (2008-2009)
http://www.mta.ca/apply/money_matters/tuition_fees.html

Now to compare I will not get Harvard or Brown, but rather the University of Rochester (2008-2009 you can infer from the increases mentioned) $36-47k:
http://www.rochester.edu/news/show.php?id=3339

I don't know what scholarships on average decrease this by but I bet it's not 60%.

Perhaps everyone wants to be in an article like this: http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/38364681/ns/business-economy_at_a_crossroads/

My kids are not going to pay rates like that, I won't stand for it.

Because we here in the USA are spoiled...we don't want to go to a college where everyone has to share "THE BOOK."

MJinZ

Diamond Member
Nov 4, 2009
Yeah I'm kind of in that boat. Finished high-school and at that point decided I was not going to go for a Computer Science/Engineering degree like I originally had planned. Didn't want to do that as a career, though I had been preparing for my CCNA for the last two years of high school.

My degree is basically a mash between Political Science and Behavioral/Social Sciences (specific to security threats and the intelligence community circle). Basically this degree is really geared as one to prepare for a career with government agencies.
Years down the road, with a few years of experience in the civilian job market and the Army Reserve as an Officer branched Signal Corps, I might have a nice shot at getting a good career in the federal intelligence community... but that's not helping land a job with no experience during college and only a BA.

Wow, you fail?

I had internships and shit every summer.

FallenHero

Diamond Member
Jan 2, 2006
So you just felt like choosing a private school that, hell, isn't even top-ranked in multiple areas?

Let's look at two schools near me here in the U.S.:
first, my Alma mater, The Ohio State University: Tuition for state residents: under $9,000/year.
our arch-rival school in sports: University of Michigan: Tuition for state residents: $6,000-8,000/year.
Both schools are around 18k/year for those who are not residents in the state the schools are located.

Both schools offer top-notch education in multiple fields. Each school has at least a handful of colleges that are highly ranked, be it College of Business, Medicine, Law, or whatever... and both put a shit-ton of focus on research and earn a lot of accolades for said research.

Why the hell does everyone who graduates from there call it that? "THE" Ohio State. Sounds like everyone that comes out of there has an issue with just "Ohio State."

TheVrolok

Lifer
Dec 11, 2000
Nope. They just aren't universally useful for everyone. You can't get one on your own terms. You pay what the school wants (and most of your money doesn't even go to your field, it goes to bullshit like new football stadiums), you learn at the pace they want you to (read: too slow so they can keep you there longer thus earning them more money), and you'll get the grades they want to give you (god help you if a teacher doesn't like you).

College works for some people, but for the people it doesn't work for they have to work even harder to prove that they're just as good (and probably better) than their colleagues that went to school.

Well, I went to a large public university and had absolutely none of the problems you listed. I'm guessing that you don't actually have any first hand experience in such matters.

TheVrolok

Lifer
Dec 11, 2000
Why the hell does everyone who graduates from there call it that? "THE" Ohio State. Sounds like everyone that comes out of there has an issue with just "Ohio State."

It's just an OSU "thing." I suppose they could argue it's to differentiate between other Ohio universities, but I doubt it. :p

rcpratt

Lifer
Jul 2, 2009
I think it's technically the name, but both OSU and University of Miami fans have this extremely douchebaggy way of saying the "the" when they're talking about their schools.

aldamon

Diamond Member
Aug 2, 2000
I didn't say it all went to dumb things, just that most of it doesn't go to your field. I just used a football stadium as an example.

More like four-star dorms with outrageous perks. Universities got a bit caught up in the construction/free money boom like most everyone else. Now there's a big tab.

destrekor

Lifer
Nov 18, 2005
I think it's technically the name, but both OSU and University of Miami fans have this extremely douchebaggy way of saying the "the" when they're talking about their schools.

I rarely say it in person, because it almost always sounds like it has a large emphasis.
And I type it about half the time. Whenever I refer to it in some kind of official manner though, I typically end up typing the "The" at the beginning.

I typically just say Ohio State in person - or OSU. But on a national board, OSU might get confusing since there are one or two other fairly decent schools also abbreviated to OSU.

Wow, you fail?

I had internships and shit every summer.

Hint: if you don't apply for internships, you don't get internships.
;)

All the internships in which I had interest, were during the summers I had training; a month of training for the Army during both my 2nd and 3rd summer.

Besides, the internships I liked were for the CIA and NSA - and they wanted students who had everything and then some. I couldn't compete with the 3.5+GPA and Honors and all this other shit the other applicants would have.

And, I was going to be going Active Duty, but that got changed to Army Reserve at the beginning of my senior year - so I had no more chances for internships and now I am in the civilian job market versus at least four years before starting the job hunt.

rcpratt

Lifer
Jul 2, 2009
I rarely say it in person, because it almost always sounds like it has a large emphasis.
And I type it about half the time. Whenever I refer to it in some kind of official manner though, I typically end up typing the "The" at the beginning.

I typically just say Ohio State in person - or OSU. But on a national board, OSU might get confusing since there are one or two other fairly decent schools also abbreviated to OSU.
Wasn't accusing you or anything, and it's definitely fine in for official matters. But I want to stab somebody when I see fans, usually on sports boards, use "tOSU" when it's obvious. Or the ridiculous Miami players that run around like morons "I play for THE Miami University durr durrrr".

ObscureCaucasian

Diamond Member
Jul 23, 2006
All the internships in which I had interest, were during the summers I had training; a month of training for the Army during both my 2nd and 3rd summer.

Besides, the internships I liked were for the CIA and NSA - and they wanted students who had everything and then some. I couldn't compete with the 3.5+GPA and Honors and all this other shit the other applicants would have.

And, I was going to be going Active Duty, but that got changed to Army Reserve at the beginning of my senior year - so I had no more chances for internships and now I am in the civilian job market versus at least four years before starting the job hunt.

I'd imagine your military service will help you get jobs, although it might be more "status quo" in the area you're looking at.

Elbryn

Golden Member
Sep 30, 2000
Wasn't accusing you or anything, and it's definitely fine in for official matters. But I want to stab somebody when I see fans, usually on sports boards, use "tOSU" when it's obvious. Or the ridiculous Miami players that run around like morons "I play for THE Miami University durr durrrr".

i think posters do it to avoid confusion with Oklahoma state which doesnt have the in front of it. being an ohio state grad as well, i just call us ohio state or osu. Though if i remember right, there was a dispute with ohio university over the use of o-h-i-o or something like that awhile back.

Feb 19, 2001
Blah blah blah...according to everyone, their school is a top notch school.

Maybe, but I'm basing this off of US News saying my school is the #3 Engineering school, #3 undergrad business program, top 5 law program, top 5 econ program, etc etc etc... and #1 public school. So yes, I think I have basis.

But I do agree. I see a lot of people touting their schools as top schools when they're just "good." (example: tOSU). In addition to ranks, there's like tiers. There's like the tier that competes with the Ivies, and that's where I feel my school is. There's the tier of low Ivies + great schools, and there's the tier that's below it that people call "safety schools," and then there's just fail tier where if you got in there for law school, you might as well kiss that $160k salary goodbye.

UC Davis has the highest tuition in the UC system b/c of their fucked up student initiative process. Basically, the students are allowed to vote on fee increases for facilities/services whereby the construction/service is instituted immediately and the fee only increases by some marginal amount (like $5 per quarter) initially but then ramps up at a later date (say $500 per quarter after 4 years). ASUCD uses that to pass anything they want since the students voting won't be paying and the students paying are freshmen/sophomores in HS.

similar shit happens in Berkeley. It's retarded. Without politicizing it too much, you can see how this becomes liberal spend-spend-spend agenda.

Last edited:

Saint Nick

Lifer
Jan 21, 2005
I went to University of Nebraska and while it was boring and sucked, it was cheap and good education.

I didn't go to Lincoln, I went to Omaha. That is why it sucked. IT WAS OVER RUN BY CRAZY CHRISTIAN EXTREMISTS.

Avalon

Diamond Member
Jul 16, 2001
I went to UCF for Computer Science and IT, and four years was only about $17k total. The northeast can be pricey, but down here in Florida it's not bad.

micaturbo

Aug 21, 2004
I don't know anything about Canadian schools, but since you said they are heavily subsidized by the government, they are basically all public universities. So why would you compare the costs to that of a private school in the US?

As others have pointed out, comparing to public US schools is a much better comparison.

I just read a stat somewhere that said half of all undergrad students in the US attend a 4 year school with a tuition of less than 9k per year.
A fair comparison to the international student (unsubsidized) tuition the OP posted would be the out of state tuition costs for a public school in the USA.

Canadian residents only have to pay $6720/yr to the university listed in the OP, regardless of the province they normally reside in.