US college tuition is pure lulz. Why do you guys put up with it?

StageLeft

No Lifer
Sep 29, 2000
Why the aren't you going to Canada? Now, we all know that Canadian tuition rates are subsidized by the government, but even after that, look here:

Mount Allison University, consistently rated as giving one of the best undergrad degrees in Canada, tuition for an international student: $13.5k. That means you, American citizens, $13.5k/year (2008-2009)
http://www.mta.ca/apply/money_matters/tuition_fees.html

Now to compare I will not get Harvard or Brown, but rather the University of Rochester (2008-2009 you can infer from the increases mentioned) $36-47k:
http://www.rochester.edu/news/show.php?id=3339

I don't know what scholarships on average decrease this by but I bet it's not 60%.

Perhaps everyone wants to be in an article like this: http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/38364681/ns/business-economy_at_a_crossroads/

My kids are not going to pay rates like that, I won't stand for it.

ObscureCaucasian

Diamond Member
Jul 23, 2006
US schools are second to none. There are affordable ones if you want, the local university here is 6k/year for tuition.

EDIT: Also University of Rochester is a private school.

yllus

Elite Member & Lifer
Aug 20, 2000
Planning on sending your kids back up north for university then? Try to make sure you don't send your daughter to McGill, because... well, you know. :D

Vette73

Lifer
Jul 5, 2000
At the school I went to the Tuition is $1500 every 6 months BUT there is another $1000 in fees.
Of that over 20Percent is for Athletics. My school does not have a football team or even a stadium. There is a small baseball field and track field. Yet the athletics part does not even cover all the fields. There is another almost 6Percent of that $1000 for Athletic Facilities Operating. So they break it out so it does not look that bad.

Beev

Diamond Member
Apr 20, 2006
College as a whole is complete bullshit. There are better, more efficient ways to learn what you want to know, but fucking companies want you to have that little piece of paper saying you graduated, like it means something.

The only thing it's worth is connections, as mentioned above.

edro

Lifer
Apr 5, 2002
Go to an in-state state school and you shouldn't pay more than $15k a year.

destrekor

Lifer
Nov 18, 2005
So you just felt like choosing a private school that, hell, isn't even top-ranked in multiple areas?

Let's look at two schools near me here in the U.S.:
first, my Alma mater, The Ohio State University: Tuition for state residents: under $9,000/year.
our arch-rival school in sports: University of Michigan: Tuition for state residents: $6,000-8,000/year.
Both schools are around 18k/year for those who are not residents in the state the schools are located.

Both schools offer top-notch education in multiple fields. Each school has at least a handful of colleges that are highly ranked, be it College of Business, Medicine, Law, or whatever... and both put a shit-ton of focus on research and earn a lot of accolades for said research.

Key West

Banned
Jan 20, 2010
College as a whole is complete bullshit. There are better, more efficient ways to learn what you want to know, but fucking companies want you to have that little piece of paper saying you graduated, like it means something.

The only thing it's worth is connections, as mentioned above.

You posted the exact same thing in other thread, word for word.

Your hatred for the education system will not change for you. It's still a good way to weed out idiots who can't handle it. This isn't just US. This is how Europe and Asia operates too.

Terabyte

Diamond Member
Dec 19, 1999
UC Davis is 10k/year, and I'll be here for another year -________-

Why does tuition cost so much for people who live out of state? Because they don't get charged state taxes and what not?

Dec 26, 2007
So you just felt like choosing a private school that, hell, isn't even top-ranked in multiple areas?

first, my Alma mater, The Ohio State University: Tuition for state residents: under $9,000/year.
our arch-rival school in sports: University of Michigan: Tuition for state residents: $6,000-8,000/year.
Both schools are around 18k/year for those who are not residents in the state the schools are located.

Both schools offer top-notch education in multiple fields. Each school has at least a handful of colleges that are highly ranked, be it College of Business, Medicine, Law, or whatever... and both put a shit-ton of focus on research and earn a lot of accolades for said research.

This.

I have a friend that went to OSU, and at graduation was offered a job with Cisco pulling $80,000/year.

Also, I pay ~9/year at my college. With government assistance, and tuition reimbursement from work I only have to pay ~$2k/year or so.

Beev

Diamond Member
Apr 20, 2006
You posted the exact same thing in other thread, word for word.

Your hatred for the education system will not change for you. It's still a good way to weed out idiots who can't handle it. This isn't just US. This is how Europe and Asia operates too.

I'm sure I posted it elsewhere, maybe not word for word though. I also didn't mean to imply that I was just talking about the US. It's everywhere. And an idiot that can't handle college might be better at a job than anyone who graduated. Some people aren't good test takers, or don't work well in a classroom environment. Yet there are no alternatives.

Wyndru

Diamond Member
Apr 9, 2009
My wife owes 90k for her doctorate in psychology, and currently makes ~30k/year. Granted, once she is licensed she will be getting paid more, this is still quite a bit of coin.

PieIsAwesome

Diamond Member
Feb 11, 2007
For me, about $5000 a year here (CSU). And only about 2 years since I went the transfer route. Before that, classes were free at CC. Then there are grants.

My friend who went to a more expensive UC (around 10,000 a year tuition?) said Calgrant paid half his tuition. Lots of people seem to have those.

So no, its not so bad.

Feb 19, 2001
And? The UC system is the top public school system in the world. I'm glad to know I can compete with engineers from MIT and 'Furd and still pay a fraction of what they pay.

Why are you comparing University of Rochester? It's a pretty well known fact private schools run from 37-38k all the way to 45k. This is the case with MIT, Ivies, Stanfurd, Carnegie Mellon, etc etc. It's all in the ~40k range.

I paid 20k or so per year for my education. It's a lot more now. I remember yearly tuition running just shy of 8k. I believe semesterly tuition was 5.1k this year so its now 10.2k. Throw in housing, food books, you should be well over 20k now.

Dec 10, 2005
SUNY schools are cheap too - about $6000/yr if you commute (not factoring in other expenses); ~$16-$17k/yr if you live on campus or are out of state (also not factoring in other expenses). Though SUNY should bump up the rate for out of state residents, but that's for another discussion place.

Edit:
If you didn't know, the University of Rochester also ranks at #35 according to USNews. Now, those numbers may differ on who you go to for rankings, but that means that's still a top 50 school in the US.

Last edited:

dainthomas

Lifer
Dec 7, 2004

:confused:

bfdd

Lifer
Feb 3, 2007
And? The UC system is the top public school system in the world. I'm glad to know I can compete with engineers from MIT and 'Furd and still pay a fraction of what they pay.

Why are you comparing University of Rochester? It's a pretty well known fact private schools run from 37-38k all the way to 45k. This is the case with MIT, Ivies, Stanfurd, Carnegie Mellon, etc etc. It's all in the ~40k range.

I paid 20k or so per year for my education. It's a lot more now. I remember yearly tuition running just shy of 8k. I believe semesterly tuition was 5.1k this year so its now 10.2k. Throw in housing, food books, you should be well over 20k now.

Yeah my little brother is going to Dartmouth this fall, fucking expensive.

dfuze

Lifer
Feb 15, 2006
I'm sure I posted it elsewhere, maybe not word for word though. I also didn't mean to imply that I was just talking about the US. It's everywhere. And an idiot that can't handle college might be better at a job than anyone who graduated. Some people aren't good test takers, or don't work well in a classroom environment. Yet there are no alternatives.

There are alternatives for those who don't do well in a classroom environment, online classes are available. And for those not good test takers, some teachers can accomodate you with other ways such as projects or oral exams in lieu of the standard test if you ask them for alternatives.

Bottom line, if the job market requires the paper, you're stuck having to get one if you want the job.

rcpratt

Lifer
Jul 2, 2009

Complete numbers fail. For Michigan:
In 2005, out-of-state tuition at UM was the most expensive in the United States for a public college or university. Out-of-state undergraduate students pay between US $34,937 and $37,389 annually for tuition alone while in-state undergraduate students paid between US $11,659 and $13,141 annually. The university is attempting to increase financial aid availability to students by devoting over $1.4 billion in endowment support towards supporting financial aid.
Updated numbers for UofM say $11,837 for in-state and an absolutely ridiculous $36,001 for out-of-state freshmen.

You weren't that far off on OSU:
Tuition for full-time, Ohio residents attending Ohio State for the 2010-2011 academic year is $9,420.
Out-of-state for OSU is $23,604.

However, these are both top-5 cost public universities in the country. I paid somewhere in the range of $26k/year for my out-of-state, equal quality Purdue engineering education, even though I had the 12k/year in-state UofM option. Sometimes it's worth it.

Last edited:

DT4K

Diamond Member
Jan 21, 2002
UC Davis is 10k/year, and I'll be here for another year -________-

Why does tuition cost so much for people who live out of state? Because they don't get charged state taxes and what not?

Because the public is generally ok with some of their tax money going to support higher education for people who live in their state. Makes sense to me. I live in North Carolina. I don't mind having some of my tax money help pay to educate my fellow North Carolinians, many of whom will stay in the state and contribute in the future. But why would I want to pay for somebody from California to come here to get an education, when they are probably going to go back to California when they are done?

Skoorb, this is not one of your more well thought out posts.

I don't know anything about Canadian schools, but since you said they are heavily subsidized by the government, they are basically all public universities. So why would you compare the costs to that of a private school in the US?

As others have pointed out, comparing to public US schools is a much better comparison.

I just read a stat somewhere that said half of all undergrad students in the US attend a 4 year school with a tuition of less than 9k per year.

Gibson486

Lifer
Aug 9, 2000
Blah blah blah...according to everyone, their school is a top notch school.

Anyways....

What they do not tell you is that most ivy league schools have the majority students not pay full price. At MIT, if your combined income is less the 75K, you do not pay a dime. If you makes less than 100K combined, you do not need to factor in home equity.

jiggahertz

Golden Member
Apr 7, 2005

You're way off on out of state for UofM, it's more like $35k, even tuition for instate is closer to $12k.

Edit: nevermind rcpratt beat me to it