Upgrading my old crappy computer [super low budget]

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Sleepingforest

Platinum Member
Nov 18, 2012
Way to reply to something like 2 pages ago instead of answering my question. jk, but actually, will 1 8gb stick fit in?

It should be totally fine. However, I would try to source a 2x4GB set since that computer is near the end of it's lifetime (you make it sound that way, anyway) and the dual channel will help with speed.

OlafSicky

Platinum Member
Feb 25, 2011
Where would I check for a bios update/how? And what would a bios update even do? Do I need to clean it out with compressed air? :O
I mean the computer only has like 2 crappy fans so i dont think its going to get much airflow anyways. I think i'll do the $300 for the gtx 660 ($195, the $90 ssd, and then use the rest for more ram. It says the max ram is 16gb, would taht have to be 4x4gb or could I get 2 8gb sticks (cheaper, $65 on newegg)
Bios update at dell.com service and support type in your service tag and go into download page than follow instruction.
I would only get 8 gigs of ram 2X4. The card sounds expensive to me if you are using it only for Photoshop so I would buy it last after the ssd and ram upgrade.

qzyxya

Jan 16, 2013
Bios update at dell.com service and support type in your service tag and go into download page than follow instruction.
I would only get 8 gigs of ram 2X4. The card sounds expensive to me if you are using it only for Photoshop so I would buy it last after the ssd and ram upgrade.

Well the thing is that i'm going to be using mostly after effects and premiere (which can benefit a lot from it, more than photoshop i believe), and then I want to be able to run more graphically advanced games (like metro 2033, bf3, bfbc2 (it runs on low but with bad fps). Not sure where you got using only photoshop•

Last edited:

mfenn

Elite Member
Jan 17, 2010
www.mfenn.com
Way to reply to something like 2 pages ago instead of answering my question. jk, but actually, will 1 8gb stick fit in?

According to Crucial (who are usually pretty thorough about such things), the biggest DIMM you can use is 4GB. You have 4 DIMM slots though, so you could still go to 16GB if you filled them all up. I would stick with adding 2x4GB for a total of 12GB. That's plenty of total RAM and should only cost you $40.

qzyxya

Jan 16, 2013
According to Crucial (who are usually pretty thorough about such things), the biggest DIMM you can use is 4GB. You have 4 DIMM slots though, so you could still go to 16GB if you filled them all up. I would stick with adding 2x4GB for a total of 12GB. That's plenty of total RAM and should only cost you $40.
Alright, that sounds good•