Upgrading my old crappy computer [super low budget]

qzyxya

Jan 16, 2013
My old computer is a dell xps7100 with a amd phenom ii x4 830 @ 2.8ghz, 4gb ram, some crappy 500gb hdd, and an unknown graphics card that came with the amd 'vision' package (Didn't know jack ***** about computers when i ordered it). I'm hoping to upgrade it.
(pics)

http://s20.postimage.org/9zvwtrvq4/IMG_0908.jpg
http://s20.postimage.org/nfixj847w/IMG_0903.jpg

So obviously it looks like the graphics card is attached into the motherboard. Do you think I could put another graphics card one it (I was thinking a gtx650 ti, I do tons of after effects and premiere cs6 work and need cuda)? Idk maybe all motherboards have this type of gpu connection, im a total noob at this kind of stuff. MY power supply is a no brand chinese 460 watt one, which probably isnt very good.

What upgrades can I do to this system? I'm thinking of installing a little 60/120gb ssd to speed up boots and such, I'd love to install a new gpu (650 ti as i said), but I've heard i'd probably need a new and better power supply than this one. What about the processor? Is the 830 any good? And will I need to upgrade the motherboard to be able to put in a new gpu?

I am also thinking of getting a better case just because this one is so but fugly and a pain in the a$s to open up, and it has horrible cooling and is extremely dusty.

Any help would be greatly appreciated

-----
ps

Sorry if this is the wrong category (admins/mods, you can move it to the right one if it isn't)

Smoove910

Golden Member
Aug 2, 2006
Well, if you are thinking of all these new components, why not just start fresh and get something that is capable from the get go? For starters, I would not trust an OEM powersupply to run any aftermarket stuff you may get. Because the majority of cases are proprietary, you may not be able to add a different powersupply so then you will need a case to use with it. As you can see, the situation can snowball, so you might as well upgrade it all (in my opinion).

Also, you should practice housekeeping with your PC and clean that dust out at least once a month.

Torn Mind

Lifer
Nov 25, 2012
The graphics card is in a PCI Express slot. It is removable. There is a little plastic mechanism that is holding it in place.

The Phenom II is a fair processor, being only slightly worse than a 3rd generation i3.
Comparison between a Phenom II 810 and Ivy Bridge i3(watch out for when it says "lower is better" or "higher is better") : http://www.anandtech.com/bench/Product/82?vs=677

AcBel is not a company I'd trust for the long term, especially if it was manufactured around 2009-2010. I came across one just last week where their TFX PSU had bulging caps and the Inspiron 546s it was in wouldn't turn on.

Depending on what graphics card is actually in there(could be a 5870), the GTX 650Ti could be a downgrade. Your XPS is a step down from the hexacore version reviewers reviewed though, so the graphics card might also be worse.

mfenn

Elite Member
Jan 17, 2010
www.mfenn.com
Depending on what graphics card is actually in there(could be a 5870), the GTX 650Ti could be a downgrade. Your XPS is a step down from the hexacore version reviewers reviewed though, so the graphics card might also be worse.

This card is certainly no 5870. It's gotta be a 56xx at most. A GTX 650 Ti would be a significant upgrade. A GTX 650 Ti doesn't actually use all that much power at all. Total system power consumption with a CPU far more powerful than the OP's is in the ~200W range. The OP would probably need an adapter like this in order to provide power to the card though.

IMG_0903.jpg

qzyxya

Jan 16, 2013
I'd like to just make a new build but I don't have much money. So I can just take out this gpu and put in another one? I found a used 560 ti for $100 on craigslist, I'll see if its in any decent condition. That would fit in it right? I could spend the money I saved from getting it instad of a 650 on a new psu (if my case allows me to, or I guess i'll get a new case then). I have about $3-400 to spend

qzyxya

Jan 16, 2013
And the reason its so dusty is because its been sitting idle for about 6 months, and i've never opened it up before

qzyxya

Jan 16, 2013
So I'm thinking I'll get a new case ($50 ish), a new psu ($50 ish also) and then a new gpu, either the 560 ti, or possiby spend the extrea money on a gtx660

SaurusX

Nov 13, 2012
Great. I clicked on the images in the OP and the net nanny flagged it for nudity. :p

AnitaPeterson

Diamond Member
Apr 24, 2001
OP, no offense, but you sound like a spoiled brat.

You are dismissive about a machine which, in many respects, has a potential you haven't even (literally) touched. Your computer is filthy; you say it hasn't been used for six months; yet, you're sure that it's "old" and "crappy"???

"Old and "Crappy" as it may be, it's still got a powerful quad-core CPU. I doubt that your CS6 "work" really needs more power. What you have in that computer, in terms of processing power, is still better than what two thirds of the planet uses on an everyday basis. Heck, "Avatar" was probably made on computers with less powerful CPUs!

Wanna spend money? Fine. The videocard - as other have already told you - is not attached to the motherboard. It's quite replaceable with whatever you want to boost your internet ego with. And you could probably use a better PSU. Or add more RAM.

Now, if you think this is unduly harsh, I apologize. But your dismissive talk about technology (while it's obvious you really don't know much about it to begin with) unnerves me. I know many people (some in North America, some in other, less fortunate parts of the world) who would be ecstatic to use the equipment you deem as "crappy". Show some respect, boy.

qzyxya

Jan 16, 2013
OP, no offense, but you sound like a spoiled brat.

You are dismissive about a machine which, in many respects, has a potential you haven't even (literally) touched. Your computer is filthy; you say it hasn't been used for six months; yet, you're sure that it's "old" and "crappy"???

"Old and "Crappy" as it may be, it's still got a powerful quad-core CPU. I doubt that your CS6 "work" really needs more power. What you have in that computer, in terms of processing power, is still better than what two thirds of the planet uses on an everyday basis. Heck, "Avatar" was probably made on computers with less powerful CPUs!

Wanna spend money? Fine. The videocard - as other have already told you - is not attached to the motherboard. It's quite replaceable with whatever you want to boost your internet ego with. And you could probably use a better PSU. Or add more RAM.

Now, if you think this is unduly harsh, I apologize. But your dismissive talk about technology (while it's obvious you really don't know much about it to begin with) unnerves me. I know many people (some in North America, some in other, less fortunate parts of the world) who would be ecstatic to use the equipment you deem as "crappy". Show some respect, boy.

Lol its 3 years old. It's crappy compared to the crazy $1000+ builds most people have here. The computer works fine but not very well for gaming or video editing. Chill out about this people around the world more unfortunate, obviously this old computer is a #firstworldproblem. I Was just wondering if there were any upgrades I could do to this old thing, since i never use it anymore.

qzyxya

Jan 16, 2013
As far as 'not needing any more power' its slow as f**k and crashes every other minute it seems. Rendering projects takes a super long time and I can't get real time previews at all, unless I pre render the whole thing or turn off the color correction/effects.
I have money to spend on a computer and i wanted to know if anoyne had any advice. If you don't want to give me any cool, idgaf bro. Boost my internet ego? Lul, boost my render times and fps is more like it.

Durvelle27

Diamond Member
Jun 3, 2012
This is not old and crappy maybe dusty but not crappy. You can definitely breathe life back into by cleaning it and replacing the video card, adding a SSD, and 8GB of RAM

Intel Pentium D 915 2.8GHz
MSI MS-7173P MOBO
Samsung 2GB(2x1GB) DDR2 667MHz
2x 500GB HDD
Antec TruPower 480W
Audigy 2 ZS w/ Live Bay
Galaxy GT 440 2GB

^^^^^
This is old and somewhat crappy

Last edited:

Insert_Nickname

Diamond Member
May 6, 2012
Intel Pentium D 915 2.8GHz
MSI MS-7173P MOBO
Samsung 2GB(2x1GB) DDR2 667MHz
2x 500GB HDD
Seasonic 300w PSU
Audigy 2 ZS w/ Live Bay
Galaxy GT 440 2GB

^^^^^
This is old and somewhat crappy

That's not crappy for a HTPC. Old and somewhat power hungry is all... :D

My HTPC has been running a Pentium M 750(? The 1.86GHz one) since 2005 until recently... I did add a HD5450 when they where released though, the onboard GMA900 is crap...

Durvelle27

Diamond Member
Jun 3, 2012
That's not crappy for a HTPC. Old and somewhat power hungry is all... :D

My HTPC has been running a Pentium M 750(? The 1.86GHz one) since 2005 until recently... I did add a HD5450 when they where released though, the onboard GMA900 is crap...

Yea works amazing as a HTPC and can play some games pretty well

qzyxya

Jan 16, 2013
So just checking, a gtx660 or a 560 ti would fit into this motherboard and all? And if I got a new power supply/case, everything would fit together (like a mid tower case)?

Puppies04

Diamond Member
Apr 25, 2011
As far as 'not needing any more power' its slow as f**k and crashes every other minute it seems.

If you are going to upgrade this machine you need to find out why it is crashing first.

My advice would be to take your $300-$400 upgrade purse and add whatever you can get by selling that machine, if you are willing to pick up second hand hardware from the FS:FT forum here or elsewhere then you should be able to put together a decent rig within budget.

qzyxya

Jan 16, 2013
If you are going to upgrade this machine you need to find out why it is crashing first.

My advice would be to take your $300-$400 upgrade purse and add whatever you can get by selling that machine, if you are willing to pick up second hand hardware from the FS:FT forum here or elsewhere then you should be able to put together a decent rig within budget.

Well it doesnt crash every other minute, I was exaggerating, but programs tend to go un responsive pretty often. The main problem is the time it takes for things to render and how I can't get real time previews/scrub throughs in premiere unless I remove effects and color correction, even still it lags sometimes.

Eureka

Diamond Member
Sep 6, 2005
I posted this in the other thread, but this is more appropriate (and also as a reference to anyone else seeing this thread).

Crashing could be anything. For a computer that new (3 years isn't that old), I'm more willing to bet it's software and bloatware creep. A fresh install alone would do wonders.

It's possible the HDD is dying too, and is a common failure point. Here's an SSD to get if you were to buy now:
http://www.tigerdirect.com/applicati...7oZFnagqTAOUlQ

That price won't last long and is pretty good (a little bit over $.50/GB). It's not the newest drive, but it'll work fine. Another good one to watch for is the 256 Samsung 830 or 840 (non-Pro) for around $150. The 840 Pro is the best one right now but it is far more expensive.

Clean out the computer, it could be crashing because of overheating too, which too much dust will do.

Finally, the 560Ti for $100 is a better value than a 660 for $200, as long as it's functioning fine. The PSU will be able to power it too, and will have the necessary plugs for it. It might not be the best but it's 460W and he won't be near its limits.

qzyxya

Jan 16, 2013
I posted this in the other thread, but this is more appropriate (and also as a reference to anyone else seeing this thread).

Crashing could be anything. For a computer that new (3 years isn't that old), I'm more willing to bet it's software and bloatware creep. A fresh install alone would do wonders.

It's possible the HDD is dying too, and is a common failure point. Here's an SSD to get if you were to buy now:
http://www.tigerdirect.com/applicati...7oZFnagqTAOUlQ

That price won't last long and is pretty good (a little bit over $.50/GB). It's not the newest drive, but it'll work fine. Another good one to watch for is the 256 Samsung 830 or 840 (non-Pro) for around $150. The 840 Pro is the best one right now but it is far more expensive.

Clean out the computer, it could be crashing because of overheating too, which too much dust will do.

Finally, the 560Ti for $100 is a better value than a 660 for $200, as long as it's functioning fine. The PSU will be able to power it too, and will have the necessary plugs for it. It might not be the best but it's 460W and he won't be near its limits.
Ok, thanks. Then I'll check out the 560 ti and hopefully it will be in good condition. Wow $90 for a 120gb ssd. nice price.