Upgrading from HD6770 to GTX560Ti

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

gpse

Oct 7, 2007
use the AMD drivers, they are the newest, also see if you can add another case fan to help cool the video card.

toyota

Lifer
Apr 15, 2001
yeah the gpu and everything else is going to run hotter in that case. it only takes a couple of minutes for things to get hot so it does not matter if you normally dont play for long or not. you need a card that will exhaust all air out the back as even one of those will still run hotter in a case like yours with poor airflow.

Termie

Diamond Member
Aug 17, 2005
www.techbuyersguru.com
OP,

Sounds like you're all set. 82C is pretty hot, but it probably won't get that hot in a game. I would run an app in the background like hwmonitor or MSI afterburner to record max temp in game. You may need to manually set a fan profile or just lock it at 100% using catalyst if it is that hot.

And yes, remove all the slot covers on the back of the case for more ventilation.

The drivers you downloaded are the best. The ones on the CD are older and will work but do not have the latest optimizations.

raghu78

Diamond Member
Aug 23, 2012
Hey everyone.

So I went out and purchased the XFX7850, installed it and downloaded the AMD 12.11 beta drivers. I tested it out on some games and did some furmarks. I just did the 720p and 1080p benchmark presets and got scores of 2628@43fps and 1544@25fps, respectively. The max temp was 82C on both tests, which in my limited knowledge I believe is pretty hot...I was getting ready to abort but it finished up fine without any issues. I was surprised at how quickly the heat climbed up...like the fan kicked to high gear only 10 seconds into the test.

furmark is not representative of real world workloads. test with a game like BF3 or benchmark like heaven 3.0. yeah 82c core temps is not ideal. set fan speed manually to keep core temps below 70c and VRM temps below 90c in games. use HWinfo32 to monitor/log temps. as you know the XFX DD is not one of the best coolers. but anyway you have got the card. so do your best to keep the card temps as low as possible.

AGENT_P6

Dec 7, 2011
I did test out a bunch of my games last night and the results are basically this:

I can run all of my games at 50-70 fps with all settings in game and in CCC completely maxed out at 1920x1080.

BUT there's two things...
I absolutely can't touch super-sample anti-aliasing. I must keep it set to multi sample or adaptive multi sample in my CCC because the frame rate cripples extremely quick once I try using SSAA

And the other thing is Metro 2033. I can run it on the highest settings but I have to keep tesselation off and have to keep "advanced DOF" off. Also, I cannot use in game MSAA. If i have my CCC set to override application settings I can use all the MSAA I want, but the in-game MSAA just bogs it all down.

I didn't know what to use to log fan temperature, but I frequently turned off my speakers and listened, comparing the noise level to that of what I'd heard when doing the furmark test. In short, none of my games caused the fan be even half as noisy as what it was in the furmark test. Granted I don't have BF3 or Crysis to really put some stress on it, but Metro is a considerable benchmarking game.

One thing I noted is that Skyrim really hates this card for some reason. There is more Z-Fighting than you can shake a stick at in this game (yet Elder Scrolls 4, Fallout 3 and New Vegas barely have any???), and no matter how I tinker with the settings, I can't get the clouds and mountains to look normal}. Oh and did I mention random trees flickering in and out of existence in the middle of the sky? GRRRRRR! It looked beautiful on the 6770!

I will look into a better cooling solution though, as I don't want it to get excessively hot in there.

Jaydip

Diamond Member
Mar 29, 2010
SSAA is brute force and very expensive.Don't bother too much about it.

notty22

Diamond Member
Jan 1, 2010
I would suggest leaving the CCC at defaults and use only in-game quality settings. Especially to you get acquainted with the cards/driver behavior.