Upgraded PC, but what about Operating System?

Alanxz

Sep 3, 2017
So I had an older computer running windows 7. I recently decided to buy a bunch of new parts (motherboard, cpu, gpu, power supply) so I could game better. However, understandably, after I upgraded, my OS didn't come with my computer. I had to load a version of Windows 7 on USB just to run my computer. Since I already paid for the OS once for my old computer, is there any way I can transfer it without paying for it again? (They're expensive o_o)

Malogeek

Golden Member
Mar 5, 2017
yaktribe.org
What license key? I bought my last computer prebundled with windows
License key were still required to be supplied with the PC back then I believe. Anything I bought for the company always had the stickers somewhere on them. Any it was likely OEM anyway which means technically it's not valid for a new computer.

Last edited:

shortylickens

No Lifer
Jul 15, 2003
what he means is you will probably have to purchase a new Windows licence.
If you get a retail version it will cost more but you can keep using it as you upgrade or change computers. If you get an OEM license you'll save money but can only use it once, and if you trade too many parts out you cannot keep using the license.

Does anyone know if Windows 7 actually shuts down? Or does it just keep nagging you to death?

BonzaiDuck

Lifer
Jun 30, 2004
All the OEM boxes bundled with Windows 7 had license keys, but I thought I'd heard that the keys covered groups of systems. I can't verify that. I can say that buying an OEM "branded" Win 7 OS from a surplus reseller could end badly, even if it seems to work OK for some period of time. I promised myself never to buy those versions again, and stick to the OEM White Box with the red sealing tape.

If the OP had an OEM box like HP or Dell, I'm not optimistic about phone reactivation for the branded OS on new non-[brand] hardware. I say -- buy another license. If there aren't reasons to keep Win 7, then get a Win 10 installation disc and license in the OEM white-box. If you really want the option of moving the OS from one set of hardware to another, you'll need to decide whether the price difference is worth the privilege.

PeterRoss

May 31, 2017
I can second peoples opinions. I doubt you will have a chance to activate it on another device. It will be a little bit more expensive but a lot fewer troubles simply getting a fresh Windows 10 copy.

JackMDS

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Oct 25, 1999
Since I already paid for the OS once for my old computer, is there any way I can transfer it without paying for it again? (They're expensive o_o)

LOL. You also paid once for the old computer Mobo, Video, Memory & etc.

So why they do not give you free New Once, :beercheers:

:cool:

Alanxz

Sep 3, 2017
LOL. You also paid once for the old computer Mobo, Video, Memory & etc.

So why they do not give you free New Once, :beercheers:

:cool:
I guess they don't give me a new one because it came with the computer already installed and I didn't need any installation cd. Anyways guys, thanks for the help. I'll just buy another one for Windows 10. Cheers.

Spjut

Apr 9, 2011
If you're lucky you might be able to get a free upgrade to Windows 10 despite Win7 being activated on another PC. Try the license key, or if there's no license key, use your old HDD with Win7 and try running the update from within Windows. I've still seen people claiming it still works.

Alanxz

Sep 3, 2017
If you're lucky you might be able to get a free upgrade to Windows 10 despite Win7 being activated on another PC. Try the license key, or if there's no license key, use your old HDD with Win7 and try running the update from within Windows. I've still seen people claiming it still works.
Yeah i do still have my old HDD! I just need to get the extra wires to plug it in. I'll definitely try that. Thank you!

Malogeek

Golden Member
Mar 5, 2017
yaktribe.org
I guess they don't give me a new one because it came with the computer already installed and I didn't need any installation cd. Anyways guys, thanks for the help. I'll just buy another one for Windows 10. Cheers.
If you didn't get a license key, any physical media or anything at all then they probably provided Windows 7 to you illegally.

pjmssn

Aug 17, 2017
I can confirm that upgrading to Windows 10 from Windows 7 still works, I have done it last week on one of my workstations, you need to download the upgrade tool from the Microsoft web site and everything should go smoothly. Now, regarding the OP's issue, he might need to get a new license. What I would try to do is:
- mount the HDD with win 7 in the new computer
- download the upgrade tool from Microsoft
- upgrade to Win 10 and make sure it is activated (it should activate on the new hardware)
- create a usb recovery disk in Windows 10 on the new hardware
- recover win 10 from USB on the new drive

vailr

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
Not sure, but there still may be a way to use Win10 completely free, if you want to sign up as a "Windows Insider", & agree to register & log in to Windows using a Microsoft (free: Hotmail.com, Outlook.com, or MSN.com) email address, and continually update to intermittent (possibly buggy) Windows builds.
There's also a 30 day delay ("grace period") from a fresh Windows install and MS's requirement of activation. There are also several more 30 day "re-arm" delays possible via certain command prompt entries (Google search for those).

Last edited: