Upgrade boot/windows SSD without reinstalling everything?

mildewman

Feb 8, 2017
Im currently using a Samsung 840 series SSD as my boot/windows drive (Win10 x64). I would like to upgrade it to a more recent SATA ssd, but i cant face reinstalling everything - my DAW setup has a lot of plugins and takes about 8 hours of installs to get everything working correctly, and i just cant face it.

Would it be possible for me to simply drag copy everything off my boot drive to the new disk, dismount the old SSD, remount the new one as C drive, then get Windows10 to rebuild the boot code so that it becomes a bootable disk?

Is there a way of transferring my existing windows/apps/games build to a new disk without reinstalling everything?

(i5-3470 @ 4gig, z77 motherboard, GTX980 - ancient system but still gets 60fps on Farcry 5 @ 1080i)

mildewman

Feb 8, 2017
Thanks for the response, i just realized there is this new-fangled thing called Google that had the answers all along duh :)

corkyg

Elite Member | Peripherals
Super Moderator
Mar 4, 2000
Burpo is correct - what you want to do is clone your drive (bit by bit copy) to the new drive. Then you can keep the original drive as a bootable system backup, or format it and use it for data.

mildewman

Feb 8, 2017
Just ordered a 500Gb 860 Evo so hopefully that will include the software. Or ill download EaseUS backup.

The old 840 is the 120Gb model with a write speed of 120mb/s so hopefully it will be a noticeable upgrade.

Last edited:

lakedude

Platinum Member
Mar 14, 2009
You can download reportedly very good migration software from Samsung. I doubt any media will come with your purchase but you will be able to download what you need for sure.