Question Upgrade ASUS motherboard

cablecutter

Apr 10, 2020
I have an ASUS Z87-C motherboard with intel i7-4770 CPU and thinking to upgrade to a latest motherboard that supports M2 NVMe SSD. Is it possible to just upgrade the motherboard and use the same processor and other components? My power pack is 550W.
Does this worth an upgrade just the motherboard or motherboard and a new processor on the same case tower? :confused:

UsandThem

Elite Member
May 4, 2000
Just make sure you have upgraded to a SATA SSD, and look to move to a NVMe SSD when you upgrade/replace your entire PC.

They only began offering M.2 slots on later revision Z97 motherboards, but they don't run at full speed of PCIe 3.0 x4, and aren't much of a "real life" upgrade.

No point in sinking money into such an old build at this point, and buying a Z97 motherboard such as the Asus Z97-A/USB 3.1 isn't going to be worth it.

https://www.amazon.com/ASUS-DDR3-Motherboards-USB-3-1/dp/B00TXBP1NS

Edit: I should have mentioned add-in M.2 PCIe boards, but again not worth it with Haswell era CPUs (and then you have to worry about if it will even work with non-UEFI motherboards). Your motherboard might not be able to even see/use a M.2 SSD on an add-in card.

Last edited:

cablecutter

Apr 10, 2020
Thanks..usandthem,

I already have a 240GB SATA drive in my computer and that's running out of space and thought of getting another drive and came across NVMe SSD
Do you mean upgrade the motherboard and CPU to get the performance of the latest NVMe SSDs?

bigboxes

Lifer
Apr 6, 2002
Thanks..usandthem,

I already have a 240GB SATA drive in my computer and that's running out of space and thought of getting another drive and came across NVMe SSD
Do you mean upgrade the motherboard and CPU to get the performance of the latest NVMe SSDs?

he's saying you'd be better off adding SATA SSDs and not wasting any money on an old platform. Move to NVMe SSDs when you replace your current pc with a new build.

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
Edit: I should have mentioned add-in M.2 PCIe boards, but again not worth it with Haswell era CPUs (and then you have to worry about if it will even work with non-UEFI motherboards). Your motherboard might not be able to even see/use a M.2 SSD on an add-in card.
Not to mention, the Spectre/Meltdown patches hit Haswell-era systems pretty hard as far as performance regressions, and these are seen especially with NVMe. A double-whammy. I would stick to SATA on that platform. There's always a RAID-0 option, too, on Z97.

Iron Woode

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Oct 10, 1999
I have an ASUS Z87-C motherboard with intel i7-4770 CPU and thinking to upgrade to a latest motherboard that supports M2 NVMe SSD. Is it possible to just upgrade the motherboard and use the same processor and other components? My power pack is 550W.
Does this worth an upgrade just the motherboard or motherboard and a new processor on the same case tower? :confused:
the only motherboard that you can still use the same CPU on would be an Z97 board. I am not sure if any of them came with an M.2 port.

The only viable solution is to upgrade the whole system - cpu and motherboard and ram.

bigboxes

Lifer
Apr 6, 2002
the only motherboard that you can still use the same CPU on would be an Z97 board. I am not sure if any of them came with an M.2 port.

The only viable solution is to upgrade the whole system - cpu and motherboard and ram.

My previous build had an Asus WS-Z97 motherboard. It had an M.2 slot. I never used it, but it was there.