Updated OP: I just lost my job for going above and beyond.

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by Acanthus, Nov 7, 2012.

1. Capt Caveman

Capt Caveman Lifer

No you don't. You were laid off. Is there someone at your workplace outside of those involved in this mess that can be a reference?

2. Phoenix86

Phoenix86 Lifer

Sounds like it was part of his job.

3. Acanthus

Acanthus Lifer

Actually while talking with a (former?) coworker. I may have been fired for being an Atheist.

It came up in conversation once (i am not the douchebag atheist that spouts off condescending things to all believers). I have read that Atheism is not a protected class in many states because you can't be held to the same standard as religious discrimination if you are someone without a religious belief.

I live in the bible belt. The person who did not get fired for installing the router was christian, the person who promoted him and fired me, is also christian.

4. TechAZ

TechAZ Golden Member

I highly doubt that. As to your research, Atheism might as well be a protected class because a company/manager/supervisor cannot use their personal religious belief to impact employees....and that includes firing. Of course there are managers/supervisors out there that will fire people for reasons that they don't officially list, but unless there is real evidence or a witness that HR would deem reputable over the manager then you would be SOL.

5. Acanthus

Acanthus Lifer

My coworker actually brought it up, because we couldn't figure out why my boss would want me fired. I'm generally a pretty likable person. And now as i understand it the boss violated confidentiality and told everyone about the investigation and that i was fired before HR even took a statement, over a week before i was officially fired.

6. RocksteadyDotNet

RocksteadyDotNet Diamond Member

I'm guessing this is much more likely to be the reason you got fired.

Time to move to a first world country, mate.

7. TechAZ

TechAZ Golden Member

It sounds kind of sketchy on your employers part. I find it ridiculous for firing because of what you did. I would request an appeal with the HR department and be specific and honest. It sounds like you did an ok job at trying to convince them that what you did was harmless and purely to gain knowledge for an interview, but you'll have to be more forceful (in a nice way). If that doesn't work, either find a lawyer or give up and find a new job. If you do an appeal and they deny it, them throw out the labor lawyer threat and let them know you tried to do what you thought was right and now they are being purposely obstructive with your livelihood.

Sorry dude, that's a shitty situation that you're in.

8. Acanthus

Acanthus Lifer

I was not allowed to appeal.

9. VAisforlovers

VAisforlovers Senior member

something very similar happened to me at work
    it happened because the boss manager "didn't trust me" and thought that I was snooping around with no proof of anything whatsoever
    in the end, he just didn't like me and found an excuse to fire me

I said *** that place and just moved on

10. TechAZ

TechAZ Golden Member

Sorry dude. Maybe someone else can give advice. I don't know what I would do besides inquire with a lawyer and see if I could afford it and get on unemployment ASAP. Good luck.

11. Sho'Nuff

Sho'Nuff Diamond Member

QFT. Per the civil rights act of 1964, employers cannot discriminate against their employees based on religion (and, I'm guessing, lack thereof).

You might have case. Consider calling an employment lawyer (or 2 or 3) and requesting a free consult.

Note that having a case and proving a case are two different things. Also, you might want to consider what you hope to get out of a lawsuit? Getting your old job back probably shouldn't be a goal. Who wants to work for a company that they were just fired from, knowing that their boss is "out" to get him/her"?

12. Acanthus

Acanthus Lifer

I wouldn't want my job back at this point.

Lost wages, pain and suffering.

13. Capt Caveman

Capt Caveman Lifer

I think you need to stop listening to a number of folks here.

Apply for unemployment - most states allow you to do it over the phone and you don't have to tell them that you were fired for misconduct. Just tell them that you were let go. If the company decides to fight it, request a hearing and tell them your story.

Again, when you apply for new jobs, you were laid-off due to the company downsizing.

Again, is there anyone at your work place outside of those involved with your departure that you're on good terms with and can ask them to be a reference?

You're not the only person that has been fired over bullshit and these people have been able to find work in the same field.

14. TechAZ

TechAZ Golden Member

Agreed. Pain and suffering (not a lawyer) should include you not getting a great reference to your next job(s). Although potential employers are only allowed to ask certain questions like "would you hire this person again?" and not "tell me what you think of this person", the latter question really does happen. In both cases, it puts you at a disadvantage. When I get the answer NO to "would you hire this person again?" then I usually place that applicant below others. Of course it might not be fair in that person's eyes, but all the prospective employer has to go on is the application/resume and answers from your old manager.

15. TechAZ

TechAZ Golden Member

Not a good idea (bolded). Get caught lying or stretching the truth on an application is a guarantee to not get a job. It is very easy to find out.

16. Capt Caveman

Capt Caveman Lifer

And I strongly disagree. I've done it and got a senior position. Odds are low that they'll even inquire your former company about it, especially if you have references from the company that you're friends with.

And you'd rather get a job offer dependent on background/reference checks than not even get past the initial screening b/c you told them that you were fired for misconduct. The stupidest thing would to say that during the screening process.

17. Acanthus

Acanthus Lifer

The company is too new to have been downsizing.

Two of my immediate supervisors liked me. My Manager above them is the one that seemed to dislike me.

18. Capt Caveman

Capt Caveman Lifer

Start-ups/new companies downsize all the time due to limited financing/revenues. And companies that you interview at, won't know it nor are they going to check.

You don't want to give any perspective employer any negative information about your employment at your previous company.

#218 Capt Caveman, Nov 8, 2012
    Last edited: Nov 8, 2012
  19. Red Squirrel

Red Squirrel Lifer

Wont the unemployment office and anywhere he applies see his employment record (by checking references) and see that he was fired? Lying would only make things worse. It's best to just say what happened. Most companies will have someone competent in the interview/screening process and when you say you were fired for executing (say the exact commands) they will laugh and realize it was a silly thing to be fired for, at least hope for that.

It's sad that so many companies have IT managers who are completely ignorant about technology. I had to deal with one before, and it was a nightmare. I was so glad when I saw an exit point. I ran for it.

20. BUTCH1

BUTCH1 Lifer

File for unemployment, if the co. challenges take an IT person with you to the hearing (make sure the person has some certs and is currently employed in IT), then said person could be considered an "expert" and he/she could then tell the arbitrator that the commands you typed in are simple system status/setup checks and in no way harmful to your ex co...

21. z0mb13

z0mb13 Lifer

My suggestion to the op:

It is obvious that your boss/the company does not want you to work there anymore, so your chance of working there again is pretty much zilch. Even if you can hold on to your job, do you really want to work there??

If you want to start legal war with your old company, the question you ask is whether its worth it (benefit vs cost of not having income/unemployment benefits). If you leave on good terms with your boss (even if he doesnt like you), you might still be able to salvage a recomendation letter, or he might be able to refer you to his network.

My advise is not to burn bridges.. even if it has burned you. Always go in the game for the long term. Chalk this up as expensive experience, ask yourself why you got treated this way. Yes you can always play the "law/legal" game, but if you have to resort to that, it means that you are already in a very precarious position

Just my 2 cents

22. Broheim

Broheim Diamond Member

holy crap OP, that's pretty fucking messed up.

I work in an IT department and if one of the architects or engineers used any of those commands I'd hug them for actually knowing their way around a computer unlike the vast majority of those people.

and sue, sue their fukcing pants off.

23. Capt Caveman

Capt Caveman Lifer

See his employment record? You mean one that he creates? And why would a personal reference say something you don't want them to? Obviously, he would tell his references at this workplace, if asked to say he was laid-off. Telling the truth is the last thing he wants to do.

Lay-offs are commonplace. Nobody is going to question or investigate it.

24. z0mb13

z0mb13 Lifer

ok sorry op, I just read that you are fired for "misconduct"
    If you really think that you felt really wronged, and the only way to right this wrong is via legal means, please feel free to do so (it also sounds like the company you worked for really acted in a unprofessional way)

25. Fayd

Fayd Diamond Member

i use command prompts all the time. some things are easier and faster to do by scripting.