Updated OP: I just lost my job for going above and beyond.

Page 8 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

RocksteadyDotNet

Diamond Member
Jul 29, 2008
For fuck's sake guys, this kid did not get fired for "snooping" with the company computers. That might be the reason listed in his HR file, but it damn sure was not the reason they got rid of him.

OP, you know as well as I do that they simply didn't like you. For some reason or another you got on the bad side of someone with authority and they sent you packing as soon as they had a plausible reason.

You weren't a good fit there, so suing to get your job back is not very wise. Go file for unemployment immediately and start looking for something else.

And be smarter next time about pissing off the higher-ups...

This x 100000.

I'm betting the OP is annoying bastard.

Cattlegod

Diamond Member
May 22, 2001
If it wasn't labeled as restricted, "picking it up based on company culture and conversations" is a pretty shitty threshold.

//edit

wait a second, he DID pick that up based on company culture and conversations!

haha very true.

maybe the OP wasn't thought of as highly has he thinks if the company was willing to look the other way for that guy and not the OP.

alkemyst

No Lifer
Feb 13, 2001
Personally it's bullshit you were terminated from running available commands at your own command prompt that were not invasive to begin with.

Most network jobs I have seen want CCNA or better, but usually a four year degree is not a requirement.

thecoolnessrune

Diamond Member
Jun 8, 2005
You are right, it doesn't matter and no it's not justified.

Get used to it, NOTHING is fair.

Because you simple don't do that crap in front of your boss (especially one that has no clue about anything IT AND has possible conflict of interest in your future position).

I'm not twisting crap.

There is a good reason for EVERYTHING.

Everything you mentioned is a bad reason. You would be fine if you just said "there is a reason for everything." Saying there is a good reason is a blatant lie.

Godwin's laws. What good reason did Hitler have for murdering millions of Jews? You said there is a good reason for EVERYTHING.

Would you like to admit now that you are retarded on a god-tier level or just retardedly feign that you have any semblance of intelligence?

Harrod

Golden Member
Apr 3, 2010
I had this happen a few years ago at my first job out of college.

We had this software that was used to check drivers records for people with dwi's and stuff. Anyways they couldn't get any support for which ports needed to be opened up in the firewall, so I put the program on a stand alone system in the office and opened the program up while running software to check which ports were in use. The director found out about it and he wanted to fire me because he thought it was some proprietary software from the state. Keep in mind I was the network admin/operations manager for this company. I explained what I did and they understood, but it seems like the whole thing was another nail in the coffin for job there.

A few months later I left that job and went somewhere else. I later found out that the past few operations admins quit after similar problems with the director.

z0mb13

Lifer
May 19, 2002
Didn't read the thread, but IMO lesson learned here for the OP is that office politics DO matter

I believe this "hacking" incident is just the straw that broke the camel's back. Most probably the OP is not the most popular person at work to say the least, and his coworkers just use this as an excuse.

Yes probably the whole IT department does not like the OP (I bet they knew that you didnt do anything wrong)

Arkitech

Diamond Member
Apr 13, 2000
ROFL. Your answer for why you didn't ask for permission is that IT isn't allowed in your department, and that the only person who can authorize access hasn't been hired yet.

Then you claim that you didn't know any of that until after they'd fired you, so you didn't know you needed permission.

You should be careful what you do at work, more so when you're trying to convince someone to give you a promotion. That's basic common sense.

I don't think you should have been fired, but you sure should have lost any chance at that promotion. You just don't have the judgment, yet.

you are ignorant beyond words

Acanthus

Lifer
Aug 28, 2001
ostif.org
Didn't read the thread, but IMO lesson learned here for the OP is that office politics DO matter

I believe this "hacking" incident is just the straw that broke the camel's back. Most probably the OP is not the most popular person at work to say the least, and his coworkers just use this as an excuse.

Yes probably the whole IT department does not like the OP (I bet they knew that you didnt do anything wrong)

IT was never consulted on this issue.

Capt Caveman

Lifer
Jan 30, 2005
That in itself should have told you that approval was required for you to enter their area of expertise. If there's no one who can authorize it, it's NOT AUTHORIZED.

:biggrin: You have no friggin clue what you're talking about.

Arkitech

Diamond Member
Apr 13, 2000
You did them. That was the foolish part. You were experimenting. By very definition, you tampered with the machine by using it to collect privileged information about the network. Also, you could have accidentally issued a non-diagnostic option of those tools, and that was dangerous. You could have been performing recon that wasn't curiosity and prep for an interview, but for something mischievous. The manager and HR are all about the "could of". You admit they don't know anything about this stuff, so all they have to go on is their paranoia about hacking. So legally they are 100% in the right.

no, no and no.

nothing you said makes sense

z0mb13

Lifer
May 19, 2002
IT was never consulted on this issue.

Ok then OP's beef is not with IT, but with the people reporting him

But I find that unreasonable, I think the whole company probably just looking for an excuse to can the op.

This incident was used as that excuse

Capt Caveman

Lifer
Jan 30, 2005
Folks, tomorrow when you go to work, ask someone in IT if there is an issue for you to open the cmd prompt on your pc. I bet not one of them will say that it's a violation or unauthorized.

The OP got railroaded by his supervisor and the people in his HR dept are idiots. Unfortunately, to sue your employer will be a costly endeavor and not worth it. Apply for unemployment tomorrow. Good luck!

Acanthus

Lifer
Aug 28, 2001
ostif.org
Ok then OP's beef is not with IT, but with the people reporting him

But I find that unreasonable, I think the whole company probably just looking for an excuse to can the op.

This incident was used as that excuse

Definitely not the whole company.

1 reported the issue, 2 were responsible for taking action, the HR director and my boss.

Farang

Lifer
Jul 7, 2003
Folks, tomorrow when you go to work, ask someone in IT if there is an issue for you to open the cmd prompt on your pc. I bet not one of them will say that it's a violation or unauthorized.

The OP got railroaded by his supervisor and the people in his HR dept are idiots. Unfortunately, to sue your employer will be a costly endeavor and not worth it. Apply for unemployment tomorrow. Good luck!

Practically the biggest issue the OP has to deal with his that he has been fired for misconduct. That will make it difficult to find future employment, if they require references, or to collect unemployment. It's like if he got fired for setting stuff on fire.

sze5003

Lifer
Aug 18, 2012
Even if IT had been consulted the way you describe that company running , they would have probably done what the boss favored in fear of loosing their jobs too. Looks like your supervisor said something because he didn't like you going for this promotion most likely once he saw you using cmd since you stated his knowledge was less than yours.

Always be careful what you do on any company pc. My last company let us take laptops and ipads home and put music and personal files on there but I sure as he'll didn't do that knowing how one could act or say anything with limited knowledge especially when knowing you know more than them.

Acanthus

Lifer
Aug 28, 2001
ostif.org

You cannot collect unemployment if you are fired for misconduct.

Acanthus

Lifer
Aug 28, 2001
ostif.org
Practically the biggest issue the OP has to deal with his that he has been fired for misconduct. That will make it difficult to find future employment, if they require references, or to collect unemployment. It's like if he got fired for setting stuff on fire.

This is my biggest concern, really.

I'm trying to get it overturned so that I can find other employment, hopefully something better managed.

Capt Caveman

Lifer
Jan 30, 2005

Well, I would recommend that he find someone at his former place that he had a good relationship to ask to be a reference. And if asked why he longer works there when interviewing, he can simply say he was laid-off.

Farang

Lifer
Jul 7, 2003
This is my biggest concern, really.

I'm trying to get it overturned so that I can find other employment, hopefully something better managed.

Be really careful what you say to the unemployment department. I would imagine this can be framed in a way that you will get benefits, or in a way you will not. Without doing anything illegal of course. I say this as someone with 1 win, 1 loss in disputed cases.

sze5003

Lifer
Aug 18, 2012
Just be careful how you word It to unemployment or the next job. It can be tough if they call there ask to speak to the supervisor and they have it in file as something blown out of proportion which it seems like this is the case.

Acanthus

Lifer
Aug 28, 2001
ostif.org
Just be careful how you word It to unemployment or the next job. It can be tough if they call there ask to speak to the supervisor and they have it in file as something blown out of proportion which it seems like this is the case.

This is precisely my problem. This is my 1st job in this field and now i have a termination on file.

Sho'Nuff

Diamond Member
Jul 12, 2007
Is this wrongful termination? I don't know how the law works.

I'm not an employment lawyer, and I am certainly not your lawyer. But the circumstances you specified likely do not amount to wrongful termination. Most workers are "at-will" employees. That means that they can be fired for a good reason or a bad reason, just not an "impermissible" reason (i.e., a reason that violates an employee's legal rights). Employment per se is not a right.