Updated List of Video Card GPU OVERALL Performance VP Ratings - TITAN update!

Page 8 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

kawi6rr

Oct 17, 2013
I was under the impression that the 280x was faster then the 7970 even though they are the same card? Hope to see the new cards on the list soon, thanks!

BoFox

May 10, 2008
Thanks for the interest, guys! I was just waiting on Xbitlabs as the final input needed before I could go ahead and rate the cards, like I usually liked to do in the past. With the R9 290 cards, it seems that they need more data than any other cards before it in the past, due to different results from different reviewers (some using cold runs, while some used warmed-up results, some starting to review them with PhysX on high, and Toms showing a bad retail sample that had severe throttling issues..) Sometimes Xbitlabs is just a couple weeks late to the spotlight, but this time it seems to be taking longer than usual.

As for the 280X, it's just a few percent slower than 7970GE. About 3-4% overall - it's 246 VP for now, without Xbitlab's "final touch" on the ratings..

List updated with R9 280X @ 246 Voodoopower! ;)

Edit - also added R9 270X, rated @ 187 VP

Last edited:

3DVagabond

Lifer
Aug 10, 2009
Thanks for the interest, guys! I was just waiting on Xbitlabs as the final input needed before I could go ahead and rate the cards, like I usually liked to do in the past. With the R9 290 cards, it seems that they need more data than any other cards before it in the past, due to different results from different reviewers (some using cold runs, while some used warmed-up results, some starting to review them with PhysX on high, and Toms showing a bad retail sample that had severe throttling issues..) Sometimes Xbitlabs is just a couple weeks late to the spotlight, but this time it seems to be taking longer than usual.

As for the 280X, it's just a few percent slower than 7970GE. About 3-4% overall - it's 246 VP for now, without Xbitlab's "final touch" on the ratings..

List updated with R9 280X @ 246 Voodoopower! ;)

Edit - also added R9 270X, rated @ 187 VP

Xbitlab's has been looking like abandonware lately.

BoFox

May 10, 2008
Hmm yeah, alright - just had a 5th baby boy 4 days ago! I'm the 5-boy man (no girls yet)! :D

Anybody else wanna help with rating the 290 and 290X? Just average all the reviews and forum benches together (ignoring the CPU-bottlenecked benches) from the % differences against GTX 780 and a couple other cards as reference points (280X, GTX 780, GTX 770)? I know it's a lot of work, but it's not too bad really! GTX 780 itself is a really good reference point - just look at how much faster it is than GTX 780 in all relevant benches put together, and derive.. help please??

Lists of reviews:
http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showthread.php?287739-AMD-Radeon-R9-290-reviews
http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showthread.php?287603-R9-290X-reviews
http://www.overclock.net/t/1436497/official-amd-r9-290x-290-owners-club
and Anandtech's own thread:
http://forums.anandtech.com/showthread.php?t=2346519
and google for a couple other sites that came up with reviews a bit later on, like Alienbabeltech's reviews for example.

Last edited:

Lee Saxon

Jan 31, 2010
Wow, this is a neat resource!

I don't game enough to mind that I'm way down in Tier E, but it's still neat to know.

BoFox

May 10, 2008
After Tomshardware was perhaps the only site to report a huge, massive variance in performance between the retail R9 290X and the press 290X for a while, LegitReviews also reported a similar issue not too long ago: http://www.legitreviews.com/amd-radeon-r9-290x-press-sample-versus-retail_129583

Is this an extremely random (rare) issue, or is it a fairly common one? I do not have much time to read the forums right now - input would be much appreciated.

GaiaHunter

Diamond Member
Jul 13, 2008
After Tomshardware was perhaps the only site to report a huge, massive variance in performance between the retail R9 290X and the press 290X for a while, LegitReviews also reported a similar issue not too long ago: http://www.legitreviews.com/amd-radeon-r9-290x-press-sample-versus-retail_129583

Is this an extremely random (rare) issue, or is it a fairly common one? I do not have much time to read the forums right now - input would be much appreciated.

If you run it in uber mode you will see no differences.
Additionally, after replacing the quiet mode bios from the retail card with the press quite mode bios, the difference was gone. It is not a hardware problem.

BoFox

May 10, 2008
Thanks. How common/rare is this?
Does flashing the BIOS (although it has 2 different BIOSes with a hardware switch) void the warranty?
*Edit - Since the warranty covers Uber mode, and the fact that this does not affect Uber mode but only the Quiet mode, with the ratings list only doing one rating per card, the Uber mode will be used for 290X rating. Yet, I'll still derive a rating for Quite mode in a post here in this thread, just for the fun of it (like I did for a warmed-up Titan at stock default setting).

Last edited:

GaiaHunter

Diamond Member
Jul 13, 2008
Thanks. How common/rare is this?
Does flashing the BIOS (although it has 2 different BIOSes with a hardware switch) void the warranty?
*Edit - Since the warranty covers Uber mode, and the fact that this does not affect Uber mode but only the Quiet mode, with the ratings list only doing one rating per card, the Uber mode will be used for 290X rating. Yet, I'll still derive a rating for Quite mode in a post here in this thread, just for the fun of it (like I did for a warmed-up Titan at stock default setting).

No idea how common or not this issue is.
The driver update that changed the fan behavior from PWM to fixed RPM is supposed to have sorted that out.

BoFox

May 10, 2008
Nice! That'd be a very Merry Xmas to you!! Enjoy your holidays - I've been busy like ABSOLUTELY INSANE TO THE NTH POWER OF INSANITY with 5 kids (including a baby and a newborn).. still haven't had time to review my brand new Sapphire R9 290! I'm keeping my Battlefield 4 code that came with the card, in anticipation of playing it with MANTLE, and hoping that I'll successfully unlock the 290 to 290X someday after burning the card in for a while with litecoin mining.. making sure it doesn't have early glitches popping up like I had with my HIS HD 4850 just 3-4 weeks old (out of like 10 ATI cards that didn't have any problems - but better to be safe than sorry, hence the 1-month burn-in period before taking risks with voiding the warranty?).

Last edited:

prism

Oct 23, 2004
I currently have a Core i5-3450 with 16 gigs of DDR3 and a GT 640. Would I notice a nice increase in performance from getting a C or D level vid card?

wonadd

Mar 6, 2014
ssee.co
Catalyst 13.10beta "Includes a number of frame pacing improvements for the following titles: Tomb Raider, Metro Last Light, Sniper Elite, World of Warcraft, Max Payne 3, Hitman Absolution, and for Cat13.10beta2, "frame pacing improvements for CPU-bound applications."

EJSLP

Feb 3, 2014
I will be getting a evga gtx 780 superclocked with 6G vram in a few days and wanted to ask can these be Oc'd even more?
Or did the factory already find the sweet spot(aka LIMIT) on these?

looper

Golden Member
Oct 22, 1999
I will be getting a evga gtx 780 superclocked with 6G vram in a few days and wanted to ask can these be Oc'd even more?
Or did the factory already find the sweet spot(aka LIMIT) on these?

You're paying a huge premium for EVGA... they're nice, but OP'd. I would get another 780 and just get extended warranty thru amazon or newegg. Don't OC your vid card... not worth it.

kawi6rr

Oct 17, 2013
I was looking at the list again to find some of my old cards to see how it stacks up to my R9 280x. I'm glad I read the 3rd post and noticed my old Geforce 2 GTS card there :) I can't even remember the card I had before that, maybe if I saw a list I could recognize my older cards. That sure brought back some good memories of when I was fist building machines.

Nostalgia list
Geforce 2 GTS (DX 7.1) -- 1.3 VP

95. 113%-- Radeon HD 4850 512MB (DX10.1) -- 56 VP
9. 104%-- Radeon R9 280X 3GB (DX11.1) -- 246 VP

I read that you just had another child congratulations. This is such a great resource I hope you can find the time to update again.
Thanks BoFox!!

Last edited:

Malladine

Diamond Member
Mar 31, 2003
Awesome compilation thanks for the hard work though I bet you enjoyed it :)

I'm bookmarking this.

When's an update coming?

My previous cards (that I can remember):

56. Radeon HD 5850 1GB (DX11) -- 112 VP
67. Geforce GTX 460 768MB (DX11) -- 92 VP (traded for the 5850 w/ a friend)
103. Geforce 8800GTS 512MB (G92) (DX10) -- 50 VP
192. Geforce 7800GT 256MB (DX9.0c) -- 12.3 VP
Radeon 9700 Pro (DX9) -- 4.9 VP

Before that it might have been a Geforce 2 or maybe a 3...

I remember the 9700 pro was a great card for a while, lol.

Last edited: