Updated: Formula 1 all seasons thread!

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Ajay

Lifer
Jan 8, 2001
Well, that seemed to shake things up. Hamilton would have blown everyone else away w/o that drive thru penalty. He deserved it though, 7 times world champ didn't see the lights or the warning on his steering wheel - come on.

Zim Hosein

Super Moderator | Elite Member
Super Moderator
Nov 27, 1999
That was different. Great example of why position is usually king.
Is this the first race were the race engine settings have to be the same as in qualy?

Yep and it didn't seem to hurt the Merc's as much as everyone hoped it would. :)

Ajay

Lifer
Jan 8, 2001
Yep and it didn't seem to hurt the Merc's as much as everyone hoped it would. :)
Saw a short interview with Hamilton; he said they lost a little bit in lap times for qualifying (really?), but we a bit faster in race trim. So Mercedes was able to turn up their engine higher than anyone else. Man, they really outclassed everyone this year. Additional bits I saw the YouTube channel The Race, both Redbull and Ferrari designed their chassis with more down force expecting more engine power. That didn’t work out well for either of them (though RB faired better).

JulesMaximus

No Lifer
Jul 3, 2003
What a fantastic result for Gasley. He deserved that win. I would have been happy with either he or Carlos Sainz winning the race though. Both drivers are clearly getting the best out of their cars. Lando Norris wasn't far behind either and Lance Stroll finished in a strong 3rd place. Fun race to watch, I actually watched it twice.

Ajay

Lifer
Jan 8, 2001
Great to see Seb will still be on the grid, and with a decent car (not great...). I wonder what will happen with Perez?

Zim Hosein

Super Moderator
Nov 27, 1999
Hamilton scores his 95th career pole and sets a new track record at Mugello! :beercheers:

Zim Hosein

Super Moderator
Nov 27, 1999
Hamilton's scores his 90th career win & takes the fasted lap at Mugello! :beercheers:

Ajay

Lifer
Jan 8, 2001
interesting race, all the re-ording because of accidents and restarts. Thought Bottas actually had a shot this weekend with a great start and rolling restart. That last terrible restart ended his chances. Ricardo looked like he got everything out of his Renault. Albon had an excellent race - maybe this kid really can be a good number 2 at RB (if he keeps progressing). Hamilton cruises to victory after that last restart with some tire management. I really like this track, but it seems to be a handful for the drivers.

Watched a short documentary on Vettel's four championships - same as Hamilton; get pole, put in fast laps right away and then no one can catch up. Guess this has often been the way with multi-championship winners.

JulesMaximus

No Lifer
Jul 3, 2003
interesting race, all the re-ording because of accidents and restarts. Thought Bottas actually had a shot this weekend with a great start and rolling restart. That last terrible restart ended his chances. Ricardo looked like he got everything out of his Renault. Albon had an excellent race - maybe this kid really can be a good number 2 at RB (if he keeps progressing). Hamilton cruises to victory after that last restart with some tire management. I really like this track, but it seems to be a handful for the drivers.

Watched a short documentary on Vettel's four championships - same as Hamilton; get pole, put in fast laps right away and then no one can catch up. Guess this has often been the way with multi-championship winners.

Hamilton works hard with his race engineer throughout the race to manage the pace, his tires and the car. And you're right, Schumacher did this too as well as Vettel.

Being really good at putting in the fastest lap when it counts (as it does in qualifying) also helps. He is pretty good at the race starts too. Plus, he is in the best car.

Zim Hosein

Super Moderator
Nov 27, 1999
Hamilton scores his 96th pole position & sets a new Sochi track record at 1m 31.391s! :beercheers:

Max is P2 and running a different set of tires vs. Lewis, should be an interesting start tomorrow AM.

Edit: Lewis Hamilton is on the 2020 Time List.

Last edited:

Ajay

Lifer
Jan 8, 2001
Hey, anyone know if there is a way to view F1 races via streaming? Wife and I are planning on dropping Cable.

Zim Hosein

Super Moderator
Nov 27, 1999
Sochi Results:

P1 - Bot
P2 - Ver
P3 - Ham

Two 5 second penalties on Hamilton, now w/ 10 points on his Super License, not a good day in the office. :(

Ajay

Lifer
Jan 8, 2001
Sochi Results:

P1 - Bot
P2 - Ver
P3 - Ham

Two 5 second penalties on Hamilton, now w/ 10 points on his Super License, not a good day in the office. :(
Well, at least Bottas had a good day, even though he admits he got lucky. Being out front sure does make a difference.

thedarkwolf

Diamond Member
Oct 13, 1999
Thanks! I live in the US, so I guess I'm going to need to go the VPN route. Cutting the cable to save money - so not extra streaming services besides what we already have (Netflix, Prime and free, like YouTube).

The left out that option for some reason, probably because they want to sell VPN services. F1tv offers two options
1. $80 a year or $10 a month and watch Live, replays, blah blah blah
2. $27 a year or $3 a month and watch the replay but you have to wait 2 days after it has aired to watch it and all the blah blah stuff

I'm cheap and not i n a hurry so #2 is the option I went with.

Reactions: Ajay

_Rick_

Diamond Member
Apr 20, 2012
Well, at least Bottas had a good day, even though he admits he got lucky. Being out front sure does make a difference.
Well, I think his approach to qualifying is probably what made the difference.
Lewis kept going more aggressively, but lost two laps to track limits. Losing the banker on mediums in Q2 lost him the race - maybe even to Verstappen.
Adding the stupid practice starts, and the respective penalty, just made it more visible, and cemented third place.

_Rick_

Diamond Member
Apr 20, 2012
The left out that option for some reason, probably because they want to sell VPN services. F1tv offers two options
2. $27 a year or $3 a month and watch the replay but you have to wait 2 days after it has aired to watch it and all the blah blah stuff

I went with the expensive option, but their live service was really spotty the last few years. But getting English commentary, no ad breaks, all on-boards and unlimited rewatchability was worth it. Especially because the alternative would have been some offering by Sky, where 70 euros is what you pay per month, not per year :D
Now of course Sky got exclusive rights, so you can no longer get f1tv as a new subscriber in Germany. It appears my contract will benefit from some grand-fathering clause though, and as long as I keep paying, I will not lose access.

Ajay

Lifer
Jan 8, 2001

Thanks! I may go with the cheaper option. I wouldn't want to watch some races live anyway, because of the time difference for some countries.

Zim Hosein

Super Moderator
Nov 27, 1999
Thanks! I live in the US, so I guess I'm going to need to go the VPN route. Cutting the cable to save money - so not extra streaming services besides what we already have (Netflix, Prime and free, like YouTube).

Glad I could be of some assistance Ajay! :beercheers:

--

Honda to leave Formula 1 at the end of 2021.

Considering the resources required to be an engine manufacturer, I'm not surprised at all. At least HPD engines will still be a presence in racing. :cool:

• Wow
Reactions: Ajay

Ajay

Lifer
Jan 8, 2001
Yeah, read about Honda's announcement yesterday. That really, really blows for RB. Honda's reasoning sounded kind of lame. I think they were hoping for more F1 teams to use their engines so that it was a worthwhile investment. When no one else bit, they backed out and make an excuse about 'reallocating' their F1 engineers to work on the EV projects. Anyway, conjecture on my part.

Red Bull may have no choice but to return to Renault engines per F1 rules - time to break out the popcorn.