UPDATED: Come read about how I lost 400+$

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Dec 10, 2005
Originally posted by: MrWizzard

UPDATE: So it was charged to my CC. Reading further into the fine print it says that the purchaser will be responsible for product defect return shipping cost if the store decides to take it back. It also says that the buyer is agreeing to never dispute a charge that this place puts on my Credit Card. IS THAT LEGAL? If someone wants me to post the fine print I can....

Just because they throw stuff into the fine print doesn't mean that the terms are legal. Charge back if you want your money back. What's the shady website going to do? Complain to your CC company about their (the company that sold you the broken amp) shady business practices and how they should be allowed to screw you out of $400?

Gooberlx2

Lifer
May 4, 2001
So I ask them about the yellow notice that I linked to at the beginning of my post. They say that doesn't apply to some things at their site....

"Howard's Shopping Guarantee: All products we carry are Brand New, Factory Sealed, complete with All factory supplied accessories, and a full manufacturer's USA warranty. "

Sounds like false advertising to me then. I didn't know that "All products" really meant "only some products" (especially since there's no little asterick).

Seems like that would be self-contradicting and should basically negate out whatever their Terms and Agreement says. Do a chargeback, report to BBB, resellerratings, etc... anyway.

razor2025

Diamond Member
May 24, 2002
Easy, file a dispute. Don't pay attention to whatever agreements they list before checking out. Credit Card companies doesn't take too kindly with draconian agreements with their merchants, especially against "can't dispute whatsoever".

kaizersose

Golden Member
May 15, 2003
you may want to check and see if your CC provides an additional warranty on the product. it may not cover labor, but if you dont feel like doing a chargeback, it can help out.

DBL

Platinum Member
Mar 23, 2001
I see two possible routes you could take.

Disputing through your CC company could be one.

I'm not a lawyer but.. you could also request that Yamaha honor their warranty regardless of where you purchased the product. Although they all place it in their warranty, I'm pretty sure that companies are not allowed to refuse warranty service b/c their item was sold by a vendor they consider not to be authorized. I don't think the consumer can reasonably be expected to make sure that every vendor for every product that they purchases is authorized by the manufacturer of that product. Essentially it is Yamahas job to police their own products. Some companies do honor warranties regardless while other obviously choose to give you a hard time. I'd ask to speak with a manager and plead your case if you want to go this route. Keep in mind that I think this may vary by state but I pretty sure California requires this.

Sphexi

Diamond Member
Feb 22, 2005
All products we carry are Brand New, Factory Sealed, complete with All factory supplied accessories, and a full manufacturer's USA warranty.

I don't care what it says anywhere else on their site, right on the front it says that everything they carry has a warranty and is brand new, telling you that it doesn't apply to "some" things is BS. Call them, tell them to swap it out, or that you'll ship it back and do a CC chargeback. If they whine, tell them to fvck off and just do it. Worst you'll eat is the shipping to get it back to them, like $30 or so.

DrPizza

Administrator Elite Member Goat Whisperer
Mar 5, 2001
www.slatebrookfarm.com
As far as telling them to give you a refund and shipping label, I wouldn't even give a shady company like that a chance. If you do, no one else becomes aware of their practices. Definitely do a chargeback. Make sure you have a screen capture of that page about the full warranty, etc.

MrWizzard

Platinum Member
Mar 24, 2002
Originally posted by: DrPizza
As far as telling them to give you a refund and shipping label, I wouldn't even give a shady company like that a chance. If you do, no one else becomes aware of their practices. Definitely do a chargeback. Make sure you have a screen capture of that page about the full warranty, etc.

Thanks for the advice, yep I got a screen cap and all the verbage from everything I could find. I started collecting data when this all went south. With notes on conversations I have had with them and times and people I spoke too at Yamaha. At this online place the people seemed to not want to give me their name so I don't have them but next time I call I am going to insist on getting the name first, before I aks questions.

everman

Lifer
Nov 5, 2002
Don't talk to them, just do a charge back. Maybe you can sell the broken one on ebay for a few bucks.

smack Down

Diamond Member
Sep 10, 2005
Originally posted by: DrPizza

Thanks for the advice, yep I got a screen cap and all the verbage from everything I could find. I started collecting data when this all went south. With notes on conversations I have had with them and times and people I spoke too at Yamaha. At this online place the people seemed to not want to give me their name so I don't have them but next time I call I am going to insist on getting the name first, before I aks questions.

Don't even talk to the company any more just call up your CC and dispute the charges.

Matthias99

Diamond Member
Oct 7, 2003
Weds 1/14/07 Late Morning UPDATE: So it was charged to my CC. Reading further into the fine print it says that the purchaser will be responsible for product defect return shipping cost if the store decides to take it back. It also says that the buyer is agreeing to never dispute a charge that this place puts on my Credit Card. IS THAT LEGAL? If someone wants me to post the fine print I can....

I am relatively certain that a merchant cannot force someone to waive charge dispute rights on a CC transaction like that. Similar to how most credit card companies will not allow merchants to charge extra for credit card transactions anymore (and some have even cracked down on minumum purchase requirements).

Also:

http://www.resellerratings.com/store/Howard_Pierce_s_Direct_Audio_Video

Yikes!

The whole outfit sounds pretty scummy if you read the fine print. They're just buying the item from some other store on your behalf and shipping it to you.

Captante

Lifer
Oct 20, 2003

Weds 1/14/07 Afternoon I spoke with my CC company and they said that I could do a charge back and get the full amount back if I followed their instructions. Strangely I just got an email from HPDIRECTAV giving me authorization to return the product. I am not sure what I am going to do yet because through the CC I am guaranteed all my money back but through HPDIRECTAV and what their small print says I may not get all my money back. This morning they said they would not take it back and now this email shows up with no explanation.... kind of strange.

Dude hang with the CC company & go through with the charge-back ... websites like that are run by total scumbags & the only way to teach them a lesson is to stick it to them right where it hurts.. right in the wallet! Enough charge-backs for stuff like this & the CC companies will drop them, plus I've seen many a charge-back (from both merchant & consumer sides) & let me tell you the CC company doesn't give a rats a$$ about the merchant at all in these situations, never mind about a "no-disputes" clause. Follow the steps they tell you to do to the letter & the merchant has close to zero chance of successfully winning a disputed charge even if they are in the right & have proof of it, which these guys don't.

I'd also follow through with the complaint to the local BBB & write a very negative review on Reseller ratings to warn as many people as possible not to get scammed.

CTrain

Diamond Member
Sep 26, 2001
Damm, I hate to be harsh but you are a dumb@ss.
Why in the world would you buy from a site that ??
A 12 yrr old can make a better site than that.