updatebitsandchipsAM4 Socket will be µOPGA and it will have 1331 pins

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Adored

Mar 24, 2016
There are people like me who have an Intel CPU and an NH-D14 but who might like to keep it for Zen. ;)

DrMrLordX

Lifer
Apr 27, 2000
Hyper 212 Plus (or Evo) should cooler better, but I really do like the fact the Wraith (and Wraith Class) are blow down designs which provide much better airflow to the VRMs than a tower like Hyper 212 Plus.

I'm thinking that the Raijintek Ereboss for ~$35 shipped is actually the best deal in HSFs I've seen in awhile . . . especially if you have some 140mm fans to zip tie to the thing to replace the crappy stock fan. The 212 variants aren't as compelling a value anymore.

MrTeal

Diamond Member
Dec 7, 2003
There are people like me who have an Intel CPU and an NH-D14 but who might like to keep it for Zen. ;)

Basically, this. I only really own the one AMD CPU (FX-8350) at the moment, but having existing coolers that could just mount to it was nice. It actually gave me a chance to reuse my Thermalright Ultima 90, which has been sitting on a shelf since I replaced my Core2Duo rig with SB. It was only LGA775 and AM2, so it fit right in.

csbin

Feb 4, 2013
http://www.bitsandchips.it/english/...-news-about-summit-ridge-and-again-am4-socket

More to come on our afternoon news, about the next AM4 Socket and Summit Ridge. The AM4 Socket will be 40 x 40 mm, like Fm2+ Socket, and the mounting hole pitches seem to be 54mm and 90mm (measured between the center of the holes, of course).

About Summit Ridge, the first revision of this CPU seems to support just DDR4-2400 MHz, and DRR4-2933 MHz when overclocked. These are conservative values, so we can image that AMD has used a standard IMC designed by Synopsys in order to save some money (See AMD-Synopsys agreement) during the design phase. Due to low DDR4 bandwidth, we will probably see Zen APUs with HBM On Package.

Last edited:
Mar 10, 2006
http://www.bitsandchips.it/english/...-news-about-summit-ridge-and-again-am4-socket

More to come on our afternoon news, about the next AM4 Socket and Summit Ridge. The AM4 Socket will be 40 x 40 mm, like Fm2+ Socket, and the mounting hole pitches seem to be 54mm and 90mm (measured between the center of the holes, of course).

About Summit Ridge, the first revision of this CPU seems to support just DDR4-2400 MHz, and DRR4-2933 MHz when overclocked. These are conservative values, so we can image that AMD has used a standard IMC designed by Synopsys in order to save some money (See AMD-Synopsys agreement) during the design phase. Due to low DDR4 bandwidth, we will probably see Zen APUs with HBM On Package.

csbin, what is your opinion on these reports? Also, would appreciate if you would put content that you are quoting from others in a quote box so that you do not give the false impression that the thoughts you are posting are your own.

Thank you.

csbin

Feb 4, 2013
csbin, what is your opinion on these reports? Also, would appreciate if you would put content that you are quoting from others in a quote box so that you do not give the false impression that the thoughts you are posting are your own.

Thank you.

OK :)

Shehriazad

Nov 3, 2014
But you don't even know how Zen will perform?

There will always be people who want to have something ASAP and push it to it's absolute limit.
The reliability of tests from online sites is always so-so...so some people will just do a build no matter what a bunch of sites say.
Or a hardcore AMD fan...nothing wrong with that, either...I mean there are hardcore iPhone fans out there...and from a technological standpoint there wouldn't ever be a reason for this.

I'll get AM4 myself as well for sure...it might be the last platform AMD ever releases for the consumer...so I definitely want it in my collection! :D

DrMrLordX

Lifer
Apr 27, 2000
AM4 the last gasp of AMD? Say it ain't so! Not sure how I feel about Bristol Ridge what with some of those 845 reviews showing up badly in games, but hey, we'll see what it can do soon enough.

Shehriazad

Nov 3, 2014
I understand that. I debated on a Skylake 6700k build but already have my 2 rigs below and the more I read about Zen the more interesting it appears to be.

If you have the time to wait for it there is literally NOTHING to lose for you. If it ends up being super shit you can still get Skylake or something else.

It's usually impatience that makes people regret things in the end...unless they have so much disposable income that it wouldn't matter to them, anyway. I don't know what kind of person you are...but if you aren't in a rush to upgrade...there is 0 reason not to wait.

guskline

Diamond Member
Apr 17, 2006
Bulldozer was utterly fantastic to read about.
ShintaiDK, I remember that Bulldozer fiasco well. I think and hope AMD has really learned from that, thus the complete lockdown on Zen info.

Last edited:

Rvenger

Elite Member <br> Super Moderator <br> Video Cards
Apr 6, 2004

It was a joke alright, but hardly fantastic, almost like AMD was trolling us at first.

Never a good thing to have competition fall that far behind. We all lose.

I think this time things will be different. Not perfect, but certainly acceptable.

ShintaiDK

Lifer
Apr 22, 2012
It was a joke alright, but hardly fantastic, almost like AMD was trolling us at first.

Never a good thing to have competition fall that far behind. We all lose.

I think this time things will be different. Not perfect, but certainly acceptable.

And they did the same with Phenom. 40-50% faster than Core 2.

Competition only makes sense as long as it brings something. Competition at this point doesn't give anything to the user. More the opposite due to the cash flow issue. It is not tap water they are selling after all.

We have to see how it pans out. But 40% IPC without some very heavy clock reductions is very unlikely. Unless 40% IPC to begin with is the problem.

ElFenix

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Mar 20, 2000
But you don't even know how Zen will perform?

Competition only makes sense as long as it brings something. Competition at this point doesn't give anything to the user. More the opposite due to the cash flow issue. It is not tap water they are selling after all.

We have to see how it pans out. But 40% IPC without some very heavy clock reductions is very unlikely. Unless 40% IPC to begin with is the problem.

it's not like he's putting down $10,000 in earnest money for the thing. there's no risk to just 'plan' on doing something. it's as if you were bagging on him for thinking of what he might do if he won the lottery. why does it matter to you so much?

do we really need to be reminded in thread after thread that AMD hasn't done well over the last 10 years?

mysticjbyrd

Golden Member
Oct 6, 2015

Your bias is insane... Market competition is bad, because cash flow? What does that even mean? Intel needs a monopoly, so they can get all the R&D money? Yah, because that's EXACTLY what happens when monopolies take over a market!

Why do you have this obsessive compulsive need to post anti-amd rhetoric in every single thread?

Last edited:

MiddleOfTheRoad

Golden Member
Aug 6, 2014
Your bias is insane... Market competition is bad, because cash flow? What does that even mean? Intel needs a monopoly, so they can get all the R&D money? Yah, because that's EXACTLY what happens when monopolies take over a market!

Why do you have this obsessive compulsive need to post anti-amd rhetoric in every single thread?

Agreed. Shintai's understanding of capitalism (or the lack of) is legendary here.

Because, yeah -- East Germany is so proud of the cars they made prior to the Berlin Wall being torn down. Monopolies always build the best products. /sarcasm off