updatebitsandchipsAM4 Socket will be µOPGA and it will have 1331 pins

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

DrMrLordX

Lifer
Apr 27, 2000
Mounting holes may change, but maybe the retention mechanism has the same lugs so that the stock type coolers can still be used. They just released the Wraith and other low noise coolers. If they change everything then those would be obsolete immediately. I just can't see them making that type of decision. Of course, yes, if you have a Hyper 212 or some other aftermarket heatsink then it might be unusable but we'll see. It's possible that someone would make adapters of some kind.

It looks like the latest stock HSFs (Wraith, etc) will be fine. Aftermarket stuff will not.

DrMrLordX

Lifer
Apr 27, 2000
Companies will just sell new mounting kits - its happened in the past.

I'm not 100% sure that would work with some HSFs. But we'll see. Bottom line is, AMD just broke about a decade's worth of HSF compatibility with AM4 (not counting FM1).

Erenhardt

Diamond Member
Dec 1, 2012
I bet there was money involved in this. They want to sell us new coolers or mounting plates.
There are a lot of coolers that use amd stock retention system, so that should be compatible I hope.

MrTeal

Diamond Member
Dec 7, 2003
I dont get why reusing your cooler is such a big deal.

It is if it you're using a $100+ cooler; hopefully the manufacturer can provide a new mounting bracket at a reasonable price point.

We've been pretty fortunate in the past though, the last time Intel changed their mounting was the 1366->2011 transition, and lord knows when the last time AMD did. The original 64s?

Shehriazad

Nov 3, 2014
Wraith cooler seems to make most coolers up to $30 redundant.

I don't see a problem with AM4 making some old coolers no longer fit in this scenario. Super mega enthusiasts that want to build a new system with it will not care, anyway...and many expensive coolers have mounting brackets etc that can be exchanged...so "upgrades" should be available if it's a good brand.

Last edited:

DrMrLordX

Lifer
Apr 27, 2000
It is if it you're using a $100+ cooler

Bingo! I paid $90 for my nh-d14 years ago. Granted I'd like to get a new HSF + fan setup for moar cooling one of these days. But being able to carry that thing onto yet another CPU just makes the purchase that much better.

In any case people who bought AiOs for their AM3+ systems for more money than I paid for my nh-d14 are going to be even more interested in making sure they can re-use the cooler on future sockets.

hopefully the manufacturer can provide a new mounting bracket at a reasonable price point.

I'm not really sure that's going to work for every hsf. It will probably work for the Noctua system on the nh-d14 at least, since the HSF screws down onto the mounting bracket. They'll just need to release a new bracket/backplate combo.

We've been pretty fortunate in the past though, the last time Intel changed their mounting was the 1366->2011 transition, and lord knows when the last time AMD did. The original 64s?

Officially, AMD has been using the same mounting system since AM2 (exception being AM1 . . . FM1 may also not be compatible but I don't remember). Unofficially some of the s939 coolers might work on AM2, but I don't recall clearly.

ShintaiDK

Lifer
Apr 22, 2012
It is if it you're using a $100+ cooler; hopefully the manufacturer can provide a new mounting bracket at a reasonable price point.

Sure, for 100$ coolers I can understand it. But with that price you buying a new mounting set sounds reasonable. But for people with 20$ coolers with bearings worn down and what not. Its time to move on.

NTMBK

Lifer
Nov 14, 2011
Who the hell buys a $100 cooler for AMD these days? For that money you could step up to a far better Intel chip.

Shehriazad

Nov 3, 2014
Who the hell buys a $100 cooler for AMD these days? For that money you could step up to a far better Intel chip.

That statement is nonsensical and I hope you realized it.

"These days" does not apply to an AMD chip that is A: Not even out yet and B: supposed to be VASTLY different from the current AMD designs. (I mean sure...AM4 will also be home to some XV cores...but eh...they're just a placeholder for the real deal XD)

svenge

Jan 21, 2006

"These days" does not apply to an AMD chip that is A: Not even out yet and B: supposed to be VASTLY different from the current AMD designs. (I mean sure...AM4 will also be home to some XV cores...but eh...they're just a placeholder for the real deal XD)

But the question still remains: Who in their right mind would have bought a $100 cooler for an AMD system in the last decade (i.e. since C2D's 2006 debut) instead of funneling said funds into creating a much faster Intel system to begin with?

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
But the question still remains: Who in their right mind would have bought a $100 cooler for an AMD system in the last decade (i.e. since C2D's 2006 debut) instead of funneling said funds into creating a much faster Intel system to begin with?

AMD Enthusiasts? They exist.

Anyways, if they were planning on getting a $100 aftermarket cooler, who is to say that they wouldn't have spent just that much on a cooler for an Intel rig too? In that case, it's a lot more even, which platform that they might choose to go with.

Shivansps

Diamond Member
Sep 11, 2013
Officially, AMD has been using the same mounting system since AM2 (exception being AM1 . . . FM1 may also not be compatible but I don't remember). Unofficially some of the s939 coolers might work on AM2, but I don't recall clearly.

Its the same one since socket 754, a few changes here and there since them, but they are all compatible. Until now, AM1 was the only, awful, exception.

DrMrLordX

Lifer
Apr 27, 2000
Its the same one since socket 754, a few changes here and there since them, but they are all compatible. Until now, AM1 was the only, awful, exception.

Huh! Didn't know that. Sweet. It's the end of a very long line of HSF compatibility. Well, sort of.

As for who might pay $100 or more to cool an AMD chip . . . if you haven't seen it happen before, then you aren't paying attention.

richierich1212

Platinum Member
Jul 5, 2002
You have to contact Noctua and fill out a form along with proof of purchase of Noctua Cooler and motherboard and they will send you a new mounting kit.

NTMBK

Lifer
Nov 14, 2011

If they haven't bought the cooler yet, then they can wait for one which will fit AM4.

MiddleOfTheRoad

Golden Member
Aug 6, 2014
AMD Enthusiasts? They exist.

Anyways, if they were planning on getting a $100 aftermarket cooler, who is to say that they wouldn't have spent just that much on a cooler for an Intel rig too? In that case, it's a lot more even, which platform that they might choose to go with.

Yeah..... and why do people put lift kits and swamper tires on 2WD pickup trucks? Why buy a Chevy truck when Ford is better? Or is the Chevy actually better? Or since GPU's really are far more important for modern games -- who actually cares what CPU a person is using.

I know some people who flat out will never buy Intel -- because in their eyes they are the evil empire and they will lose their rebel status. Seriously.

DrMrLordX

Lifer
Apr 27, 2000
You have to contact Noctua and fill out a form along with proof of purchase of Noctua Cooler and motherboard and they will send you a new mounting kit.

For those of us who don't have the proof of purchase anymore, we'll just have to buy the new mounting kit. Or leave the older HSF on an old system . . .

If they haven't bought the cooler yet, then they can wait for one which will fit AM4.

Right. Makes me glad I haven't invested in something like an nh-d15 yet.

Yeah..... and why do people put lift kits and swamper tires on 2WD pickup trucks? Why buy a Chevy truck when Ford is better? Or is the Chevy actually better? Or since GPU's really are far more important for modern games -- who actually cares what CPU a person is using.

The best part about overpaying for a cooling solution is that, at least until AM4, AMD users have been able to carry over their HSFs to (nearly) every new socket. So my nh-d14 that was purchased for an AM3 rig still fits my FM2+ board, no problem. Those lift kits and swamper tires . . . well . . .

Besides, big honkin coolers let you explore the limits of overclocking more easily than not-so-big, not-so-honkin HSFs. I figure might bought me an extra 100-200 mhz out of my 7700k, at least. It's impractical, but it's fun.

I know some people who flat out will never buy Intel -- because in their eyes they are the evil empire and they will lose their rebel status. Seriously.

Oh come on now, nobody acquires rebel status for sticking with AMD products. You either like Intel enough to want to do business with them, or you don't. Intel's engineers have turned out some inspired work over the years. Their sales and marketing, however . . . meh. That topic's been done to death.

cbn

Lifer
Mar 27, 2009
Wraith cooler seems to make most coolers up to $30 redundant.

Hyper 212 Plus (or Evo) should cooler better, but I really do like the fact the Wraith (and Wraith Class) are blow down designs which provide much better airflow to the VRMs than a tower like Hyper 212 Plus.