UPDATE! There was a hate crime committed accross the street from my school

Page 6 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Xionide

Diamond Member
Apr 20, 2002
Originally posted by: LeetestUnleet
Hm, yeah, I live in Arlington too (small forums?), and I've heard about this. My sister knew the kids involved (not close friends, but knew them - she's a high school cheerleader)

Whee, a local story making the Today spot! :p

HOLY SH!T! Another person who lives in arlington is on these forums? Who are you?

-Xionide

LeetestUnleet

Aug 16, 2002
Originally posted by: se7enty7

I take great offense to calling white people "hicks". Please edit it from your post. I wouldn't call your race a degrading name, and you have no right to refer to white people that way either.

Seriously, as a fellow Arlingtonian, the majority of people here ARE hicks. And yes, I'm white. When I was in high school (graduated in 2003), 90% of my class were the stereotypical hicks in their beatup pickups and stereos blasting country music, peeling out in the parking lot, wearing carhart jackets and smokin' and drinkin'. He's not insulting, he's telling it like it is.

Xionide

Diamond Member
Apr 20, 2002
Originally posted by: se7enty7

I take great offense to calling white people "hicks". Please edit it from your post. I wouldn't call your race a degrading name, and you have no right to refer to white people that way either.

Seriously, as a fellow Arlingtonian, the majority of people here ARE hicks. And yes, I'm white. When I was in high school (graduated in 2003), 90% of my class were the stereotypical hicks in their beatup pickups and stereos blasting country music, peeling out in the parking lot, wearing carhart jackets and smokin' and drinkin'. He's not insulting, he's telling it like it is.

It has been getting worse lately too.

-Xionide

LeetestUnleet

Aug 16, 2002
Originally posted by: waggy

well crap. I live on a farm, have a truck, listen to garth brooks and even watch nascar on occasion so i guess i fit the term of "hick". I have NEVER called a black guy that name. Nore am i a raceist (have a mixed family myself).

not all people that listen to such music, watch nascar or such are raciest KKK such.

though i never understood the confederate flagh stuff.

Well now, nobody ever said anything about all hicks being KKK. The street doesn't go both ways - some KKK may be hicks (as they are in this situation - the accused and others are calling themselves the "New generation KKK" as I've heard from my sister [a junior in the HS in question]), but not all hicks are KKK. It's a logic problem:

If all whoosits are whatsits, and all whatsits are howsits, are all howsits whoosits? Answer: No.

Xionide

Diamond Member
Apr 20, 2002

well crap. I live on a farm, have a truck, listen to garth brooks and even watch nascar on occasion so i guess i fit the term of "hick". I have NEVER called a black guy that name. Nore am i a raceist (have a mixed family myself).

not all people that listen to such music, watch nascar or such are raciest KKK such.

Well now, nobody ever said anything about all hicks being KKK. The street doesn't go both ways - some KKK may be hicks (as they are in this situation - the accused and others are calling themselves the "New generation KKK" as I've heard from my sister [a junior in the HS in question]), but not all hicks are KKK. It's a logic problem:

If all whoosits are whatsits, and all whatsits are howsits, are all howsits whoosits? Answer: No.

I havent heard of that before. Who is your sister. I am a junior too so I may know her.

-Xionide

SherEPunjab

Diamond Member
Oct 23, 2002
no offense to anyone, but can we please get over the hick-scapade? i know i'm not exactly the person to talk, as I digress a lot in threads, but this has been off topic for days now...

LeetestUnleet

Aug 16, 2002
Originally posted by: Spencer278
I think people make fun of anyone that can't speak english. Just post a thread about making english the national language and people will start bash mexicans and others that speak spanish. Additional due to the number of college professor that are imported from asia who can't speak english it further increase the dislike of asians that can't speak english.

Sorry to further contribute to the OT spam (it is the OT forum, afterall), but you forgot to mention the bashing on the ATOTers who can barely type English as we've clearly seen time and time again on this thread alone. There were even some posts on page 1 about it! I don't claim to make no typos, but I am a self-proclaimed "Grammar Freak". I even wrote a letter to my college newspaper (EvCC for the Arlington locals) about the horrid grammar and spelling they had in the paper. It was published and they cleaned up their act - one person CAN make a difference!

Wow, this post got even more OT than intended... apologies, but I suppose I'm just bored and wanted to post.

postcount++;

LeetestUnleet

Aug 16, 2002
Originally posted by: Xionide

I havent heard of that before. Who is your sister. I am a junior too so I may know her.

-Xionide

YGPM ;)

Wait, this isn't the FS/FT forum!

Alatariel

Mar 31, 2004

When you think about it, it's really all pretty stupid and just shows how blatantly uneducated many people are about our own language. "Hick" doesn't even connote race to someone who knows how to read a dictionary. It means "unsophisticated and provinical." Sounds down right accurate for the situation as it has been described on here.

And, for the record, "n1gger" can refer to any member of a socially disadvantaged class of persons. Even though I am white, I can still refer to myself as a n1gger and others can as well, especially in my field, just because I am a woman. This would still be grammatically and linguistically correct.

My $0.01++ ...