*update confirmed* method found to run Freesync on Nvidia GPU's via AMD APU's (pcper)

Chaoticlusts

Jul 25, 2010
So I just read this on /r/hardware and thought people here would be interested in it and I'd definitely be interested to hear everyone's take on it.

https://www.reddit.com/r/hardware/c...u_through_an_amd_gpu/?st=jl4m1yd0&sh=286eb076

Also I know this is Reddit so grain of salt etc although given how easy it is to test for anyone with an old AMD card lying around it seems a silly thing to make up.

There's obviously some major restrictions involved, the OP mentions a big framerate hit and latency increase amongst other things.

A quick summary for anyone that doesn't want to click through the link.. Basically the OP ran a game that allows you to change the rendering device in game(in this case WoW) with an old AMD card that supported freesync(which their monitor was connected to of course). They then switched rendering over to their 1080ti and Freesync continued to function.

I'm curious if an external tool could allow easier use of this, since a lot of games don't have that particular option. Regardless even with the restrictions this is interesting (unless I've missed this being a known thing) and might open the door for other ways to workaround this stupid monitor segmentation...Well....Unless it is able to be patched out :(

*edit update*

Ok Pcper has an article up verifying this as well as doing latency tests here https://www.pcper.com/reviews/Graphics-Cards/AMD-FreeSync-Working-NVIDIA-GPUs-Some-Strings-Attached

Last edited:

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
So, they are doing the 3D Rendering on the 1080ti, and then copying the framebuffer each frame to the older AMD card, and outputting to the monitor? Sounds very rather inefficient to me. (Though, I guess not more so than AFR Crossfire over PCI-E.)

Edit: Anyone want to start a pool on how many days it will take for NV to patch their drivers to lock out this possibility? Just like they patched out mixed-GPU PhysX support in games?

Reactions: Rifter and psolord

crisium

Platinum Member
Aug 19, 2001
Interesting development. Hopefully becomes practical. I still have a Fury in a box somewhere, and a Freesync monitor.

PeterScott

Platinum Member
Jul 7, 2017
Maybe AMD could release a cheap pass-through GPU to enable freesync. :D

Scary that that would be less expensive that the Gsync tax. :(

Kenmitch

Diamond Member
Oct 10, 1999

Scary that that would be less expensive that the Gsync tax. :(

I wonder what they'd value more? The couple bucks they made on the card? Screwing nvidia out of the Gsync tax?

Chaoticlusts

Jul 25, 2010

Lmao.. somehow I think AMD might face some legal trouble if they went down that path :p..

However there is a market gap with cheap 1-slot well featured htpc cards... if one of those just happened to support freesync too.. ;)

Otherwise I'm sure second hand budget cards from years back shouldn't cost too much.

Honestly I expect this will get patched out. If it doesn't/can't be though then I really hope there's a way to fake this via software and maybe mitigate the performance hit..

If anyone does have the cards lying around to do this and could run a couple of benchmarks...

From updates in the reddit thread someone has put their hand up to try and write a software solution so it could be used on most games rather than the few that allow switching in options (would still need both cards though).

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

TeknoBug

Platinum Member
Oct 2, 2013
Expect Nvidia to find a way to block that. I have a triple monitor setup for sim racing and they're Freesync monitors but I'm using a 1070Ti.

GodisanAtheist

Diamond Member
Nov 16, 2006
Sounds like a good way to get current AMD owners to move over to NV without losing a big chunk of their hardware investment.

If I was NV I'd push this :)

Comming soon: Founders Edition RX 530 right from NV's own website...

ThatBuzzkiller

Golden Member
Nov 14, 2014
Interesting, are there other independent sources to confirm his findings ? :)

It appears to be an unintended bug with how they handle copying/transferring the video/display output on the app side but I guess it's just the side effect of the WDDM design ... (there's nothing forbidding app developers in WDDM from using AMD's display controllers as pass through for other video devices but it'll definitely add some latency)

arandomguy

Sep 3, 2013
I wonder what they'd value more? The couple bucks they made on the card? Screwing nvidia out of the Gsync tax?

It's actually an interesting situation because the biggest selling point for AMD GPUs currently to gamers is Freesync (AMD's marketing for Vega was centered around being paired with Freesync vs. Nvidia paried with G-Sync). Whereas for Nvidia it's the other way around, the selling point for G-Sync is their GPUs.

Losing the advantage of Freesync would cause further momentum loss among gamers for mid-range and higher GPUs.

Sounds like a good way to get current AMD owners to move over to NV without losing a big chunk of their hardware investment.

If I was NV I'd push this :)

Comming soon: Founders Edition RX 530 right from NV's own website...

There isn't really a functional requirement of G-Sync for Nvidia to support variable refresh.

Miklebud

Platinum Member
Nov 20, 2002
Hmmm. I've got a GTX1080, a 144hz 1440p Freesync, and a spare R9 280x laying around. I would love to get Freesync working with the 1080, but don't feel like my 650w PSU would support my whole system AND a 280x. If I could use the iGPU of my 8700k, that'd be ideal...

Flapdrol1337

Golden Member
May 21, 2014
Hmmm. I've got a GTX1080, a 144hz 1440p Freesync, and a spare R9 280x laying around. I would love to get Freesync working with the 1080, but don't feel like my 650w PSU would support my whole system AND a 280x. If I could use the iGPU of my 8700k, that'd be ideal...
A 280x doesn't support freesync anyway.

Chaoticlusts

Jul 25, 2010