[UPDATE 10/4/16] It is official! Pixel and Pixel XL (formerly Nexus 2016)

Page 5 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

sweenish

Diamond Member
May 21, 2013
What's important to note is the size comparison between the Pixel and N5. Nigh imperceptible unless the phones are being held side by side.

I'm inclined to say that the bezel outrage was severely misplaced.

This was going to be my year to upgrade, but prices versus the phone I want (Pixel XL 128 GB) are having me hold off a bit longer. Good thing the Snapdragon 800 basically ushered in the era of "good enough."

Prices are high, but they're not really showing me reasons why it's undeserved right now. If I could afford it, I'd be glad to upgrade and rock one of these for another three years.

Crono

Lifer
Aug 8, 2001
ordered my Pixel yesterday (not XL)

been wanting a non huge top end phone forever

If they lose value quickly, I might consider a 128GB version for 600$, but I don't really believe such drastic price cuts are possible, so basically no Pixel for me.

I'm kind of disappointed there were no real small(er) flagships this year. The pixel is basically the smallest flagship all year. I guess the market for small phones is really small. I remember a time when the Galaxy S3 was considered "huge" :(.

The Pixel isn't that small. Or at least it's not as if it's notable for its size. It's about the same size as a few other high end or upper mid range phones:

ivd3c7.png

Anubis

No Lifer
Aug 31, 2001
tbqhwy.com
The Pixel isn't that small. Or at least it's not as if it's notable for its size. It's about the same size as a few other high end or upper mid range phones:

yea the 2 chinese ones have a horrid skin/launcher and i'm too lazy to root that out, the sony wont work on VZW, and there are reasons i won't buy the samsung. Can you buy a fully unlocked HTC 10?

thecoolnessrune

Diamond Member
Jun 8, 2005
yea the 2 chinese ones have a horrid skin/launcher and i'm too lazy to root that out, the sony wont work on VZW, and there are reasons i won't buy the samsung. Can you buy a fully unlocked HTC 10?

Yes, the HTC 10 is available directly from HTC's website (and other cellular retailers) for $150 off through October, and is available in Unlocked form (AT&T / T-Mobile band compatible). HTC also offers monthly payments via Paypal Credit.

http://www.htc.com/us/go/buy-htc-10/

Reactions: Crono

MarkizSchnitzel

Nov 10, 2013
What's important to note is the size comparison between the Pixel and N5. Nigh imperceptible unless the phones are being held side by side.

Except for the height, which is kinda obvious, looking at the photos.
So, 2 years of progress, and nothing to show for it.

Anubis

No Lifer
Aug 31, 2001
tbqhwy.com
Yes, the HTC 10 is available directly from HTC's website (and other cellular retailers) for $150 off through October, and is available in Unlocked form (AT&T / T-Mobile band compatible). HTC also offers monthly payments via Paypal Credit.

http://www.htc.com/us/go/buy-htc-10/

not unlocked on VZW, also the P9 and Mi5 cant work on VZW period. so those are out for more then myself not just liking their skin

there are not options for someone i my case, sure the G7 might be cheaper but ill gladly pay more to not have to deal with any of samsungs BS

Last edited:

thecoolnessrune

Diamond Member
Jun 8, 2005
not unlocked on VZW, also the P9 and Mi5 cant work on VZW period. so those are out for more then myself not just liking their skin

there are not options for someone i my case, sure the G7 might be cheaper but ill gladly pay more to not have to deal with any of samsungs BS

Actually, all fully paid 4G devices on Verizon are unlocked. The problem is that with the CDMA infrastructure, there's still a lot of very specific radio bands in use between Verizon, Sprint, US Cellular, and other CDMA Carriers. The appropriate bands have to be selected, and others locked out, and the carriers do that in the radio firmware.

On the M9 for instance you could go into diagnostic mode and change the bands yourself, but it's not working in the same way on the HTC 10.

What you're encountering is simply the continued problem that is CDMA implementations. You can get the phone on Verizon bands, and since it's not through Verizon it's already unlocked. But even unlocked, you'll tend to have issues moving to any other CDMA carrier.

PokerGuy

Lifer
Jul 2, 2005
I was looking forward to upgrading from my current galaxy note 4 this year, but I guess I'll wait a while longer. The pixel xl is underwhelming to me. Not water resistant like it's closest competitors, no sd card slot, no removable battery, no stylus, and a pretty unflattering look.

I really like the daydream vr capabilities and integration and it seems like a good phone overall, but simply not good enough for me to plunk down $700+ for it. I'll wait to see what other flagship phones are on the horizon, my note 4 will suffice for another 6 months to a year.

Reactions: KingstonU

PokerGuy

Lifer
Jul 2, 2005
I was looking forward to upgrading from my current galaxy note 4 this year, but I guess I'll wait a while longer. The pixel xl is underwhelming to me. Not water resistant like it's closest competitors, no sd card slot, no removable battery, no stylus, and a pretty unflattering look. A solid "meh" to me.

I really like the daydream vr capabilities and integration and it seems like a good phone overall, but simply not good enough for me to plunk down $700+ for it. I'll wait to see what other flagship phones are on the horizon, my note 4 will suffice for another 6 months to a year.

vshah

Lifer
Sep 20, 2003
I ordered a Pixel XL 128gb as soon as I could. farewell nexus 6...the only thing I will miss is the front facing speakers

sweenish

Diamond Member
May 21, 2013
Except for the height, which is kinda obvious, looking at the photos.
So, 2 years of progress, and nothing to show for it.
Reading comprehension not so good?

What you said, I addressed. Why bother? That doesn't contribute to the discussion in the least.

MarkizSchnitzel

Nov 10, 2013
Reading comprehension not so good?

What you said, I addressed. Why bother? That doesn't contribute to the discussion in the least.
OK, sorry. But you did not mention height specifically. And seeing how top/bottom bezels are one of main critique points, I thought it worth mentioning.

KingstonU

Golden Member
Dec 26, 2006
Quite disappointed in these Pixel phones.
I held onto my Galaxy S3 (+ expanded battery) for almost over 4 years now and it has been fantastic, but really ready to upgrade finally.
I regret not going with the Galaxy S5 as it was the last phone to check off all the boxes that were most important to me and the S6 was a complete disaster in the direction it took.

Now I am just eagerly awaiting the LG V20 to be released in Canada as it is the only viable flagship with a removable battery.

Strk

Lifer
Nov 23, 2003
So do we know yet it if is a stereo speaker doing some shenanigans like the HTC or or [I think] Iphone 7 or is it some mono thing? I always hated having Google phones having such shitty speakers on them until the 6 and 6P.

I'm still unsure about that price. I mean, they still make plenty of money, but part of those high prices also include some pretty hefty advertisements. Google barely advertises stuff. I paid around $450 for my 64gb 6P. I just don't see myself spending so much more for a phone that only seems ok for its price.

VashHT

Diamond Member
Feb 1, 2007
Half of the configs are sold out now, doubt there will be a fire sale. I looked on Verizon's site and they have 128Gb +'s saying they'll be shipped by Oct. 20th...looks like google allocated them more inventory or people on Verizon just don't care as much. Even if I was on Verizon I'd go for the unlocked one unless they were giving me some great deal.

shabby

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
Anyone find it funny that every website is talking about how google is taking on apple with their own phone, made by google and all that stuff? Its just another nexus phone, renamed to pixel, made by htc using the a9 body, why all the sugar coating?

Kazukian

Platinum Member
Aug 8, 2016
Anyone find it funny that every website is talking about how google is taking on apple with their own phone, made by google and all that stuff? Its just another nexus phone, renamed to pixel, made by htc using the a9 body, why all the sugar coating?

Do you remember the first nexus launch? Now that was crazy, people were pissed it wasn't free.

quikah

Diamond Member
Apr 7, 2003

Ask Google, they are the ones positioning this as being built by them.

Capt Caveman

Lifer
Jan 30, 2005

Just another Nexus? Not by using the best Snapdragon processor and the best camera available it isn't.

shabby

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
Just another Nexus? Not by using the best Snapdragon processor and the best camera available it isn't.
Best camera based on google's own words? The lack of ois is going to hurt its night shots, eis won't save you there.
That best cpu is slower than the 820 in geekbench, let alone the exynos.

zerocool84

Lifer
Nov 11, 2004
I'm happy with my 5x, I can definitely wait for a sale on these.

I was expecting them to announce a new tablet as they are in need of one but they don't care about tablets anymore.