[UPDATE 10/4/16] It is official! Pixel and Pixel XL (formerly Nexus 2016)

Page 14 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

tsupersonic

Nov 11, 2013
Looks like a few Pixel users are reporting random shutdowns when the battery is getting low. This has been happening on many 6P devices, so I hope it gets attention from Google.

vi edit

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Oct 28, 1999
Frankly, the design is much a moot point to me. An overwhelming majority of people are going to stick their phone in a case and it will never be seen anyway. Shove it in a case and you'll never know what the back looks like. Only on display and in reviews does it make much of a difference. I like the finger print on the back too. It's easier to use it when removing the phone from my pocket. Plus it's less finicky about the orientation of your finger. I had terrible luck getting the finger print scanner to work reliably on the S6 I had for a while.

If it's flat on the desk, you can still double tap the screen to wake it up and enter your pin to unlock.

Red Storm

Lifer
Oct 2, 2005
I think they definitely should have gone with a more sleek and modern design. The enormous bezels (with no front facing speakers to justify them) look dated, plain and simple. However, it's still the overall best smartphone out there (IMHO). I just hope the Pixel 2 shrinks those bezels a whole lot.

sze5003

Lifer
Aug 18, 2012
I think they definitely should have gone with a more sleek and modern design. The enormous bezels (with no front facing speakers to justify them) look dated, plain and simple. However, it's still the overall best smartphone out there (IMHO). I just hope the Pixel 2 shrinks those bezels a whole lot.
Same here and if you are going to have that much space at the bottom, speakers could have made it in. I really hope the pixel 2 is a knock out, let's hope. I had to send my 6p in for an RMA after atrocious battery drain right after the nougat update. My replacement is much better thankfully because this is what I'm sticking with until they release the next phone.

Although if Samsung and apple introduce a bezel free phone with the fingerprint reader anywhere on the screen, I hope google will have a competing design.

thecoolnessrune

Diamond Member
Jun 8, 2005
Yes it was LG that started that craze. The fingerprint sensor on the back is nuts though. To unlock the phone sitting on a table means you have to pick it up. Every time. That is annoying!

That part has been discussed liberally in this thread and others, and I'd definitely disagree that it's nuts. It's very divisive though. Personally, I much prefer the fingerprint sensor on the back, as it fits my use case (phone in front of me, or phone in pocket, I don't do the leaving the phone on the table thing). I know lots of people though that won't even use their large screen phones in front of them though. They will take their phone out of their pocket, set it on a table, then unlock it. It's definitely not how I use my phone, but I don't begrudge them for it.

For me, the fingerprint sensor on the back makes more sense than being on the front. Others can disagree for sure, but the decision being nuts would hardly be true.

thecoolnessrune

Diamond Member
Jun 8, 2005

I agree, overall it's the best, but for me that's only because iOS isn't the ecosystem for me. Pixel vs. iPhone 7, I think the iPhone is the clear winner in hardware, as the Pixel has a lot of room for improvement.

But because I'm not interested in iOS, the Pixel is overall, the best phone out there (IMHO as well).

Capt Caveman

Lifer
Jan 30, 2005
After getting the 7.1.1 update to my Nexus 6p and getting a replacement 6p via Nexus protect due to the battery dying(battery drain is very much improved compared to my old one), I returned my Pixel XL. If I had gotten some of the benefits for being a pre-order(missed it by two days), I probably would have kept it but couldn't justify the price. But with the update to 7.1.1, the camera on my 6p is almost as fast as the Pixel XL. The unlimited photo storage would have been nice but I should hopefully not hit 100gb by the time the Pixel XL 2 comes out.

VashHT

Diamond Member
Feb 1, 2007
I've been looking to buy a 128Gb Pixel XL for a little while now, but they're always out of stock. I decided to keep my iphone 7+ after returning my 32Gb pixel last year but the iphone is starting to annoy me quite a bit and now I feel like going back. I haven't looked into a lot of other options but the reseller market seems crazy, like $1400 for one. Are there any other sites that sell the unlocked one for retail price? That is interesting about the 6P though, I'm going to have to update mine. One of the main things the I liked about the Pixel over my 6P was due to how fast the camera was, if they've sped up the 6P quite a bit I could probably just use that until the next Pixel comes out.

thecoolnessrune

Diamond Member
Jun 8, 2005
Swappa has new units being sold for around $1100-1200. Used units from about $960.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

sze5003

Lifer
Aug 18, 2012
Main reason they are out of stock is because they need phones for the warranty claims. I was surprised since i signed up for alerts but never received but 1 a long time ago.

Now I'm just going to wait until the next phone they release.