[UPDATE 10/4/16] It is official! Pixel and Pixel XL (formerly Nexus 2016)

Page 12 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

thecoolnessrune

Diamond Member
Jun 8, 2005
Probably because I've taken around 120 pictures since I got the phone and haven't seen the issue once? I'm not saying it doesn't exist, but I haven't seen it, and neither did dxomark that claimed the Pixel to have the best camera in a phone.

Last edited by a moderator:

o306

Mar 23, 2015
Google actually acknowledges this problem. It's not made up. If other reviewers missed it that says something about them.

ChronoReverse

Platinum Member
Mar 4, 2004
No it could simply mean it doesn't occur in all situations and/or all devices. It takes a special sort of chip on the shoulder to assume that all the reviewers either missed or deliberately hid this.

Anubis

No Lifer
Aug 31, 2001
tbqhwy.com
my multy thousand $ DSLR has lens flair when I shoot directly into the sun as well. maybe I should complain to Nikon about that

Reactions: tdawg

Yakk

Golden Member
May 28, 2016
At least Google is admitting there is aa abnormal lens flare problem, they could've just went the Apple way and said you aae taking the picture wrong. :confused:

tdawg

Platinum Member
May 18, 2001
my multy thousand $ DSLR has lens flair when I shoot directly into the sun as well. maybe I should complain to Nikon about that

Hey, mine too!

Sony class action suit on its way! /s

Kazukian

Platinum Member
Aug 8, 2016
Meh, gave up on Google's store and ordered a Verizon pixel from Best Buy. Cost $30 more, but I'll have it next week.

Commodus

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 2004
Anandtech's Review of the Pixel XL is out and it's a mixed bag - http://www.anandtech.com/show/10753/the-google-pixel-xl-review

I suspect someone is going to point to this as 'evidence' of AnandTech's pro-iPhone bias, but the benchmarks don't lie. I actually think it's a very good phone, but like a Nexus you're buying it more for the software and its potential than the underlying hardware. The hardware is better overall than it has been in the past, though.

Kazukian

Platinum Member
Aug 8, 2016
I think next years pixel will be the phone to buy, this generation sort of has training wheels.

sze5003

Lifer
Aug 18, 2012
I think next years pixel will be the phone to buy, this generation sort of has training wheels.
Yup this is how I feel trying to justify upgrading from my 6p. The next model I will get for sure assuming they don't royally screw up and forget something that was missing this time around or they just completely go backwards, which I don't think will happen.

Yuriman

Diamond Member
Jun 25, 2004
I think "mixed bag" is generous about the review. It came off to me as practically scathing. I was shocked at the end for them to start off with, "The Pixel is a decent enough phone...".

Not that I disagree with any of their criticisms, they seem well-founded, but they had almost nothing good to say about the phone more than some passing remarks about how the fingerprint scanner was the same color as the back.

It would have been nice had they talked at all about the software on a phone coming from a software company.

Yakk

Golden Member
May 28, 2016
Good review, Pixel seems like at ok phone, just maybe not quite refined enough for flagship status and price imho.

sze5003

Lifer
Aug 18, 2012
I think "mixed bag" is generous about the review. It came off to me as practically scathing. I was shocked at the end for them to start off with, "The Pixel is a decent enough phone...".

Not that I disagree with any of their criticisms, they seem well-founded, but they had almost nothing good to say about the phone more than some passing remarks about how the fingerprint scanner was the same color as the back.

It would have been nice had they talked at all about the software on a phone coming from a software company.
Most every other review I've seen talks about the experience of pure Android. Which is great but the only additions to this phone is the google assistant and night mode which I already have on the 6p. What would have been nice to have covered would have been the changes they made to make the touch more precise.

People say it's super fast but if you've used pure android before on a decent, not low end phone, you can tell it performs very nicely. So I'd expect it to be faster on better hardware.

I personally think they should offer support for more than 2 years for Android versions on these phones if they are going to be a premium trend now.

Capt Caveman

Lifer
Jan 30, 2005

I've read a few articles that said that they only had 9 months to design and build the Pixel. I guess they were in negotiations with Huawei to build it but b/c Google wouldn't let them put Huawei on the phone they quickly went to HTC. I want a faster camera since I take photos almost daily so I'm in for this version and we'll see what happens next year.

Kazukian

Platinum Member
Aug 8, 2016
I personally think they should offer support for more than 2 years for Android versions on these phones if they are going to be a premium trend now.

Agreed, dunno WTF Google is thinking. If they were nexus priced phones, I could understand it, flagship, they need to suck it up and give 4 years.

sze5003

Lifer
Aug 18, 2012
I've read a few articles that said that they only had 9 months to design and build the Pixel. I guess they were in negotiations with Huawei to build it but b/c Google wouldn't let them put Huawei on the phone they quickly went to HTC. I want a faster camera since I take photos almost daily so I'm in for this version and we'll see what happens next year.
Yup that is what I read as well. It was pretty much built and released quickly to get something out there by holiday season. If you are a camera buff then maybe its worth it or if you are coming from a nexus 6 or older phone.

Red Storm

Lifer
Oct 2, 2005
Was messing with a Pixel XL the other day, other than the physical looks I really like the phone. Everything was fast and smooth. But those bezels... it's the one thing that keeps me from getting one, instead I wait for next year's Pixel. Hopefully if Samsung and Apple both push minimal bezel designs that will make Google do the same.

gus6464

Golden Member
Nov 10, 2005
So my wife broke the screen on her 5X. Is the Pixel a buy or not? Who's gotten theirs?

sze5003

Lifer
Aug 18, 2012
So my wife broke the screen on her 5X. Is the Pixel a buy or not? Who's gotten theirs?
Really depends if that's worth it to you to spend that much more. If you want similar phones to the 5x then I would say it's more than a very good replacement.

gus6464

Golden Member
Nov 10, 2005
Really depends if that's worth it to you to spend that much more. If you want similar phones to the 5x then I would say it's more than a very good replacement.

Well she had a One Plus before her 5X and the first thing she told me when she got her 5X was that the liked the software more and prefers pure google. Before the OPO she had a Razr Maxx HD and hated the software too. At this point I am not going backwards and getting her a skinned phone. I think she would love the camera though on the Pixel.

Nov 3, 2004
Well she had a One Plus before her 5X and the first thing she told me when she got her 5X was that the liked the software more and prefers pure google. Before the OPO she had a Razr Maxx HD and hated the software too. At this point I am not going backwards and getting her a skinned phone. I think she would love the camera though on the Pixel.

If she's looking for stock Android at a similar screen size, then I think it's really the only option